Meadow

Dec 9, 2018
Coleraine
IMG_20200226_111407.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Very nice - I tried to get a coil on mine, RS Super Deluxe, but the coil itself (550) fouled on the frame pass through. RS springs are a larger diameter than most. Ended up fitting a Meg Neg can to the standard shock which has worked out well, would still like to try a coil in there though.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Very nice - I tried to get a coil on mine, RS Super Deluxe, but the coil itself (550) fouled on the frame pass through. RS springs are a larger diameter than most. Ended up fitting a Meg Neg can to the standard shock which has worked out well, would still like to try a coil in there though.
What settings did you end up with the meg neg?
I've done this but only rode it once and feels stiff so took remaining vol spacer out and trying 2 bands.
Still feels stiff but need to ride first.
Soz for the hijacking btw.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have:

• two spacers and two bands
  • 235 psi
  • 3 Clicks from fast on the rebound.
I weigh circa 90 to 95 kg kitted up depending on what I am wearing etc etc

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What settings did you end up with the meg neg?
I've done this but only rode it once and feels stiff so took remaining vol spacer out and trying 2 bands.
Still feels stiff but need to ride first.
Soz for the hijacking btw.

Did you follow the inflation procedure on the Rockshox website? Just pumping it straight up to your riding pressure does not work too well. I first discovered this several years ago when fitting a larger sleeve on a Fox shock, no instructions came with the sleeve. I promptly forgot this lesson learned when I got my new Focus with its Rockshox suspension. Correctly re-inflating fork and shock gave noticeable improvements.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Did you follow the inflation procedure on the Rockshox website? Just pumping it straight up to your riding pressure does not work too well. I first discovered this several years ago when fitting a larger sleeve on a Fox shock, no instructions came with the sleeve. I promptly forgot this lesson learned when I got my new Focus with its Rockshox suspension. Correctly re-inflating fork and shock gave noticeable improvements.
Yeah, balancing +&-
As mentioned I'm at 0 spacers and 2 bands and still stiff in the middle but not rode it yet.
I'll try that first then mabe lower the sag more. (It's just over 30%atm)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
And it's not too stiff?
What sag do you have with that?
Cheers

I think its just a hare under 30%. Its still supple off the top, but a lot more supportive in the mid stroke - you can really notice the difference in support when turning hard and pumping into a corner or off a lip/jump, lot more support.

I had mine done my Liam at Surrey Hills Suspension, he helped set it up and get the shock how I wanted it. There is a big jump in the amount of air you pump it up to compared to the stock shock, so I would suggest playing around with that. He also said to start off with the same amount of bands as volume spacers, as in his experience this tends to be about spot on for most people, which is is for me, but obviously the nature of the conversion is that you all of a sudden find yourself with a lot more variables to play with.

And I would say you need to ride it to dial it in, from memory (it was last year that I did the conversion) when we where setting it up it felt a lot stiffer in the workshop, but great when out on the trail.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles