First service

Yorkshire Rich

Aug 1, 2019
westyorkshire
Due my first service after having the bike nearly 6 weeks only done 13 miles though as was waiting for a lock up to be made . Anyway bought the bike from Rutland and nearest one is 70 miles I emailed them and they say I can take it to any bike shop but think I might take it to them for the first time . As anyone experienced anything similar with regards using other dealers . Also anyone know the rough price of the first service I read that sometimes you get it free so I’ll ring them mid week and see what they say.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire

Yorkshire Rich

Aug 1, 2019
westyorkshire
Saw you rode at Dalby, Northern Ride at Malton are Focus dealers. Northern Ride | Bike shop Malton, York, North Yorkshire | Ethos: 'Entry Level to Elite' | Stockist of premium brands offering quality service and servicing to our customers.
Would imagine you'd only get a free service from the place of purchase. It'll only be a bolt check and make sure the gears are changing correctly. Probably not much point unless you have any issues especially if there is only 13 miles on the bike.
cheers for the first one i might go to rutland just because they sold me the bike but will bear in mind the malton store for a bigger service. There's probably not much in it distance wise just malton's a nicer place to go . I think i need to get it done to keep the warranty and not void it

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Focus have been really good with replacing the batteries on my bike. It didn’t have a shop service in the time before. Might be worth checking Rutland’s policy first though. There are Focus dealers dotted about so I’m sure you will find one not too far away.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have been using Rutland Cycling for a number of years and their customer service has always been excellent. Even so, I would only take a bike in for a six-week check if there was something that needed fixing. or if it was required to maintain the warranty (it isn't).

Yorkshire Rich

Aug 1, 2019
westyorkshire
I have been using Rutland Cycling for a number of years and their customer service has always been excellent. Even so, I would only take a bike in for a six-week check if there was something that needed fixing. or if it was required to maintain the warranty (it isn't).
I'll Ring Rutland and see what their take on it is then if anything happens further down the line i can have some comeback. I never knew that you don't have to have the first service i thought you'd have to i might still take it in if it's free all felt fine today apart from in one of the lower gears just felt like a slight slippage and a tiny little noise at speed like maybe discs or pads might be just bedding in ? steve Have you had to do anything at all to claim for warranties did you have to register your frame number or anything on focus website . iv'e only really had bikes to £400 before so never even bothered with services and warranties.

Billy1mate

Apr 17, 2019
Dorset
Bought mine from Rutland and am in the same position, drive 3 hours each way or pay my LBS or leave it, everything works fine.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'll Ring Rutland and see what their take on it is then if anything happens further down the line i can have some comeback. I never knew that you don't have to have the first service i thought you'd have to i might still take it in if it's free all felt fine today apart from in one of the lower gears just felt like a slight slippage and a tiny little noise at speed like maybe discs or pads might be just bedding in ? steve Have you had to do anything at all to claim for warranties did you have to register your frame number or anything on focus website . iv'e only really had bikes to £400 before so never even bothered with services and warranties.

You must register your bike on the Focus website. You should have been told the exact web address on the paperwork that came with the bike. But you should be able to find it easily enough by going straight to the main Focus home page. Once registered, if/when you need to make a warranty claim, they know who you are and that the bike is registered to you and they know who sold it to you. In addition, I make a note of all the various numbers on the frame, fork, shock for future reference.

For example, frame numbers:
Bike serial number: 386###-### P/N: 6335##### ISO4210-2/EN15194 (top of down tube)
Frame ID: A118G##### PD1-1-###-# (bottom of seat tube, rear facing)
Rear Triangle ID: A118H202##### PD####-9(29) (inside non-drive chain stay)

I have blanked out some digits.

I don't know whether all bike shops do this, but if Rutland Cycles sell a bike, they will pursue warranty claims for the owner even if the owner did not buy the bike from them. They make a standard charge of £35 for this service, just about everything else is free. I say "just about", let me explain. If it's a motor or a battery or a frame then yes it's free. But if it is something that there may be arguments about like "how did the electrical cable get damaged?", then they have discovered that the chasing about to establish this is not worth the effort, so you pay for the cable and are free to pursue whoever you think is liable. I had to do this and JEJames paid up without much bother at all.

Yorkshire Rich

Aug 1, 2019
westyorkshire
You must register your bike on the Focus website. You should have been told the exact web address on the paperwork that came with the bike. But you should be able to find it easily enough by going straight to the main Focus home page. Once registered, if/when you need to make a warranty claim, they know who you are and that the bike is registered to you and they know who sold it to you. In addition, I make a note of all the various numbers on the frame, fork, shock for future reference.

Bike serial number: 386###-### P/N: 6335##### ISO4210-2/EN15194 (top of down tube)

I don't know whether all bike shops do this, but if Rutland Cycles sell a bike, they will pursue warranty claims for the owner even if the owner did not buy the bike from them. They make a standard charge of £35 for this service, just about everything else is free. I say "just about", let me explain. If it's a motor or a battery or a frame then yes it's free. But if it is something that there may be arguments about like "how did the electrical cable get damaged?", then they have discovered that the chasing about to establish this is not worth the effort, so you pay for the cable and are free to pursue whoever you think is liable. I had to do this and JEJames paid up without much bother at all.
Thanks steve i will get onto that this week and register my bike with focus still have about 3 weeks to do so. When my bike arrived from rutland there was very little paperwork just a owners manual,cd and a service book . think my receipt was just online via email nothing in paper form that's why i'm planning on dropping it in for the 6 weeks check because in the service manual there's a part where there's a pre delivery check to be filled in by them and that's blank too. As you say its more the expensive parts i want covered frame.motor,battery all the wear parts i get that that's my responsibility to fix.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
The question is, if you can't check a few bolts and keep the gears indexing properly yourself, should you really be on an expensive mountain bike?
I don't think they can do anything to to the electrics until they go wrong and then they just usually send them back to the manufacturer.
I think the "free first service" may be more of a customer relation's service.
Didn't bother with one on mine, even though I had done over 700 miles when it was due

Didn't register mine anywhere, just took it back to the dealer who is sorting out the warranty, (he is the one liable as far as the customer is concerned).
Didn't bother with first service.
New motor is on the way under warranty.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Didn't register mine anywhere, just took it back to the dealer who is sorting out the warranty, (he is the one liable as far as the customer is concerned).

Trust me it helps if you are taking the bike to a dealer that did not supply you the bike. Like I did.

Yorkshire Rich

Aug 1, 2019
westyorkshire
The question is, if you can't check a few bolts and keep the gears indexing properly yourself, should you really be on an expensive mountain bike?
I don't think they can do anything to to the electrics until they go wrong and then they just usually send them back to the manufacturer.
I think the "free first service" may be more of a customer relation's service.
Didn't bother with one on mine, even though I had done over 700 miles when it was due

Didn't bother with first service.
New motor is on the way under warranty.
I'ts not a case of not being able to check a few bolts it's more a case of if i don't get said services should i need to make a warranty claim would it void any claim . wouldn't want to get six months down the line and need a £800 motor only for me not taking it for services i have to pay myself. Also that's a bit of a shitty attitude to have it's true iv'e never had a £2700 mountain bike and probably know a tenth of what most people on here do but does that mean i only have to have a £100 bike what about the guys/girls out there with 70k cars should they not be in them. i'm not totally green and know the basics of maintenance but if i can get a free check over and meet the guys who sold it to me why wouldn't i take it.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I'ts not a case of not being able to check a few bolts it's more a case of if i don't get said services should i need to make a warranty claim would it void any claim . wouldn't want to get six months down the line and need a £800 motor only for me not taking it for services i have to pay myself. Also that's a bit of a shitty attitude to have it's true iv'e never had a £2700 mountain bike and probably know a tenth of what most people on here do but does that mean i only have to have a £100 bike what about the guys/girls out there with 70k cars should they not be in them. i'm not totally green and know the basics of maintenance but if i can get a free check over and meet the guys who sold it to me why wouldn't i take it.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Sorry Yorkshire Rich. I typed that response out yesterday after a couple of glasses of wine (at least) and when I read it back I thought to myself "that's a bit of a condescending view and not particularly helpful to the guy, I won't post that" I thought I had deleted it and have no idea how I managed to post it today.

As I said, I haven't registered mine nor had it serviced. It's done 1800 miles in ten months and the dealer is fitting a new motor, under warranty, without any quibble.

I've also just bought a Canyon Spectral On 6 as a back up (because clearly these things are of doubtful reliability) and as a direct sales, which Canyon are, a first service by their dealer is an impossibility.

I realise you've spent a lot of money (although you do seem to have got a bit of a bargain, my Focus cost me a lot more) but don't fret, keep your receipt, don't do anything silly and you are OK for two years.

Apologies again, I did not intend to offend.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Don't think there is any need to worry about a service. My LBS is not interested in servicing my bike until it has done at least 250km ( its way past that!) and that seems sensible to me. As someone else said, don't expect a huge amount from the service anyway. In essence they are only going to check your wheels are not about to fall off. You presumably have a copy of whatever warranty is offered...or it is detailed on the manufacturer's website. That will specify what, if any, record of servicing is required to maintain that warranty. I have never seen the equivalent of a car servicing schedule for a bike that specifies service intervals, what should be done at each service and room for an authorised dealers stamp as proof the service was done.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles