First ride after COVID and had to walk home…..

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Went out yesterday for the first time in ages. Prepped the bike and set off all excited about getting out again after 3 weeks of feeling knackered after COVID hit following a ski trip to France late Jan.

Was having a wail of a time until it hit a muddy trail which needed a lot of pedal effort. There were loads of post storm debris and I heard a big clunk at the back of the bike and then the pedals seized.

This was the problem:

IMG_1211.jpg

66758389864__F6BD0D0E-A59B-4702-B2C5-9A0D239F70E3.jpg

My lovely XTR rear dear silent was toast…..this is the second time I’ve broken it….at £170-ish a pop I will be replacing it with the XT 8100 I paid through the nose for last summer whilst waiting for the XTR to come into stock.

Chain was still intact. Clever me had a spare chain link in my backpack so I proceeded to shorten the chain to become and e-fixxy one speed.

All pleased with my self I started to carefully pedal home. I didn’t last long before it broke…. It at the spare link which I hoped but another link just popped. There was some twist in the chain which must have done it as it wasn’t at all smooth when pedalling.

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1212.jpg

5km walk home…..which as the sun was out was quite pleasant.

For piece of mind a new chain and derailleur will become part of my backpack spares kit….

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I dont think carrying a spare mech is practical..............maybe on a big multi day adventure ride but not otherwise. I do however carry a spare chain...........the chain I previously had on the bike, so it is already the right size etc. I also carry a couple of quicklinks.
Forest trails are messy at the moment with lots of bits of broken branches etc..........but last ride out on Friday, the biggest problem was fir cones!! They are like marbles on a tech trail!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Broke mine last week not sure what happened to be honest . Sheared lower cage bolt and bolt to hanger. Just got a cheaper one GX instead of X1 and surprisingly the hanger was only 13 quid. I shortened it and got home ok. I always carry a tool for removing split link i cant split a 11 speed chain with bare hands now for some reason.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Not sure if thats for me. But threads stripped in other cage and on hanger , derailier bolt stripped as well.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I have only ever snapped Shimano derailleur! I snapped a Zee many years ago & mate snapped my XT11 speed on my old ebike
My XX1 has been fine removing sticks more than once

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I have only ever snapped Shimano derailleur! I snapped a Zee many years ago & mate snapped my XT11 speed on my old ebike
My XX1 has been fine removing sticks more than once
Not broken many derailiers to be honest maybe three max ???? , and ive done a fair bit of dodgy stuff since 1986 .

Brent8275

May 28, 2021
Auckland
I would think the chain breaking was caused by the chain being stretched by the suspension? When the suspension is compressed while riding, then the chain would be pulled tighter? Hence why it felt rough when pedaling. Or is this not the case?

Silver fox

Mar 21, 2021
Kelowna, B.C.
I would think the chain breaking was caused by the chain being stretched by the suspension? When the suspension is compressed while riding, then the chain would be pulled tighter? Hence why it felt rough when pedaling. Or is this not the case?
Definitely rear suspension stretching the chain. You have to lock out the rear suspension if you have to go single speed.
The best advise I’ve ever had was in my first few days of riding when a wise friend advised me to not pedal when your back wheel is approaching broken sticks, go over them and then pedal. It will help to save your derailleur. That was 25 years ago and haven’t broken one yet.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Definitely rear suspension stretching the chain. You have to lock out the rear suspension if you have to go single speed.
The best advise I’ve ever had was in my first few days of riding when a wise friend advised me to not pedal when your back wheel is approaching broken sticks, go over them and then pedal. It will help to save your derailleur. That was 25 years ago and haven’t broken one yet.

Mmmmm, when riding in the woods, not pedalling when approaching broken sticks would mean you come to a stop pretty quick….the woods are riddled with them. Glad it’s worked for you for 25 years.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Mmmmm, when riding in the woods, not pedalling when approaching broken sticks would mean you come to a stop pretty quick….the woods are riddled with them. Glad it’s worked for you for 25 years.
Woods been bad near me with small bits of wood always getting picked up by the wheels after couple bad storms 6 months ago , some trails still not clear. I broke mine on beach 4 months ago and never seen what did the damage hanger and derailleur. First time ive broken one and been riding since 86 so cant complain. A lot of debri i dont see so not easy to avoid .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles