First ride 2020 decoy base 29

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
How are you guys finding the Code R’s? Also something I would swap ASAP. Looking at parts it seems the RSC is just a better lever which can be purchased separately

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
How are you guys finding the Code R’s? Also something I would swap ASAP. Looking at parts it seems the RSC is just a better lever which can be purchased separately

I didn’t like them.. I swapped to xt 8020 which are saint calipers and xt levers.. 100% better. Probably cheaper to sell codes and go xt

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
I didn’t like them.. I swapped to xt 8020 which are saint calipers and xt levers.. 100% better. Probably cheaper to sell codes and go xt

I have always been a shimano guy then when I got my Jeffsy figured I would try the SRAM guides, I actually ended up liking them so was thinking about staying with SRAM. I feel lie the saints are due for an upgrade which would be nice

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
I really want to try coil maybe in the future

Yea I am considering that as well. Another downfall IMO of the spec on the 29er is with RockShox you don’t have any good air options like the X2 so coil seems like the best upgrade for the rear shock

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Codes are fine if you don’t mind your lever pulling closer and closer to the bar as they get hot. RSC levers are a big upgrade since they have the contact point adjustment.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Yea I am considering that as well. Another downfall IMO of the spec on the 29er is with RockShox you don’t have any good air options like the X2 so coil seems like the best upgrade for the rear shock
I bought the base knowing I’d upgrade... I always buy base models, I’m cheap and I’d rather customize to my liking. Along the way you discover some cheap base level stuff is bomb proof and you really don’t need to upgrade. Usually if something breaks then I’ll replace it with next tier up etc.

As soon as I saw this bike I knew I was going coil front and rear so just view the stock stuff as a placeholder.

So far I’m surprised how well the yari works! Great fork for what it is.

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
I bought the base knowing I’d upgrade... I always buy base models, I’m cheap and I’d rather customize to my liking. Along the way you discover some cheap base level stuff is bomb proof and you really don’t need to upgrade. Usually if something breaks then I’ll replace it with next tier up etc.

As soon as I saw this bike I knew I was going coil front and rear so just view the stock stuff as a placeholder.

So far I’m surprised how well the yari works! Great fork for what it is.

Just pulled the trigger on the base. I am going to upgrade to 160mm debonair lyrik spring as well. Did you swap it yourself?

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Just pulled the trigger on the base. I am going to upgrade to 160mm debonair lyrik spring as well. Did you swap it yourself?
Haven’t done anything yet but I’ve done debonair spring in another fork, it’s easy. I’m running this one for a while because it’s fresh and probably do seals at same time since I think the seals on yari are not as good as lyrik. Lyrik uses lower friction seal.. at least I’ve been told. This is not a bad thing to buy if you plan on doing your own services.
Complete Lower Leg Service Kit - PUSH Industries

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
So one thing I am worried about is weight. Maybe coming from an analog bike it matters more but still think a lighter eBike would be nice.

With all the eBike parts like wheels being so heavy going to be hard to drop weight on this pig.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Have not felt like it matters at all! In fact feels super planted and suspension works amazing with extra weight. I would worry about it tbh. In fact I’ll be adding more weight with coils! It’s just not as big a deal as a pedal bike. Even then I was never a weight weenie.. lightest my bike ever was was maybe 31lbs? Unless you are xc nerd don’t sweat it.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You get used to the weight, you have to recalibrate your riding somewhat, for me the main thing was going faster into corners (nothing to do with the motor) as the extra weight builds up momentum faster and having to rethink lines and braking.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
You get used to the weight, you have to recalibrate your riding somewhat, for me the main thing was going faster into corners (nothing to do with the motor) as the extra weight builds up momentum faster and having to rethink lines and braking.
Good point. This is definitely true! Had a couple good crashes before getting used to the weight coming into corners... also if it’s super steep tech once you lock your wheel you are moving, gotta go with the flow! Lol

One thing that helped with this for me was cutting my bars down to 760mm I was clipping bar ends left and right, partly because I ride tight woods but also because one you get this train moving it’s hard to make quick adjustments!

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
Good point. This is definitely true! Had a couple good crashes before getting used to the weight coming into corners... also if it’s super steep tech once you lock your wheel you are moving, gotta go with the flow! Lol

One thing that helped with this for me was cutting my bars down to 760mm I was clipping bar ends left and right, partly because I ride tight woods but also because one you get this train moving it’s hard to make quick adjustments!

I will be swapping over my 760mm Carbon bars from my current Jeffsy. Also going to throw on my renthal 35mm stem although curious if it will be too short.

Also I hate how YT just throws 175mm cranks on every bike, that is something else I will need to swap. I usually run 170 but will most likely be going to 165mm as I don't thnk I will need the same leverage with the assisted power for climbing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles