First ride 2020 decoy base 29

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Just got the box last night, set it up in about 2 hours. Went for first ride today. Managed 19 miles and 3200’ climbing returned with one bar, second bar went out about 1/4 from home, all in trail and boost.

First ebike and only other time o
I rode one was a friends 17 levo in his yard.

The good:
bike handles great. Kinda crazy how good base level suspension is these days. Might not be that adjustable but was plush and worked great. Probably drop an additional token into fork and will replace shock down the line.
I was expecting shimano to be loud but wasn’t an issue for me. Motor also feels very natural? Trail mode is pretty amazing.
Wheels were easiest tubeless set up
I’ve ever done. Used an under powered hand pump, no drama.

The less than good?:
I’m 5’ 10” and got a large, for sure could have sized up to xl but not a deal breaker.
Code r brakes, was hoping they would not feel like guide r’s but they have that same mushy feel, probably go shimano. Range, was honestly surprised it ate through battery as fast as it did! Although I think it did pretty well on reflection.
Power, was expecting more power? I thought I’d be going up steep fire roads at 20mph, lol not happening.

Over all I’m happy, need about a half dozen more rides to figure stuff out and dial it in.

Any q’s on new decoy 29 let me know!

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
Just got the box last night, set it up in about 2 hours. Went for first ride today. Managed 19 miles and 3200’ climbing returned with one bar, second bar went out about 1/4 from home, all in trail and boost.

First ebike and only other time o
I rode one was a friends 17 levo in his yard.

The good:
bike handles great. Kinda crazy how good base level suspension is these days. Might not be that adjustable but was plush and worked great. Probably drop an additional token into fork and will replace shock down the line.
I was expecting shimano to be loud but wasn’t an issue for me. Motor also feels very natural? Trail mode is pretty amazing.
Wheels were easiest tubeless set up
I’ve ever done. Used an under powered hand pump, no drama.

The less than good?:
I’m 5’ 10” and got a large, for sure could have sized up to xl but not a deal breaker.
Code r brakes, was hoping they would not feel like guide r’s but they have that same mushy feel, probably go shimano. Range, was honestly surprised it ate through battery as fast as it did! Although I think it did pretty well on reflection.
Power, was expecting more power? I thought I’d be going up steep fire roads at 20mph, lol not happening.

Over all I’m happy, need about a half dozen more rides to figure stuff out and dial it in.

Any q’s on new decoy 29 let me know!
How fast can you go up those fire roads? I thought this was the point lol

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
How fast can you go up those fire roads? I thought this was the point lol
faster for sure but not 20mph. Maybe 7-9mph?

First ride so maybe I was using wrong cadence.. and fire roads here are pretty damn steep. Definitely slows down more that I thought it would on climbs. Also the rear mech was not perfectly adjusted and motor would cut out if it sensed chain binding.. I think by end of ride that was sorted.

going out again today I’ll report back.

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
Have you logged in to the app and turned boost up to high mode?

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Have you logged in to the app and turned boost up to high mode?
Yeah boost on high, trail on medium eco on medium.

Think it was rear derailleur binding, wasn’t adjusted perfectly yet... seems to be sensitive to that.

Chuch

Feb 14, 2020
Virginia Beach
Great thread here as I am considering the Decoy or the Decoy 29 myself. Curious...I test rode both at YT and at 5-9, with a 29.5 inch inseam, on a size large I had to slam the droppers and was still to short on the 150mm post. At 5-10, are you slammed or do you have room to spare? Can you share your experience with me? I should be on a large, but the seat tube length is insanely long on these compared to my pedal bike.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Its pretty close to slammed! This would probably be an issue if I sized up to an xl. I moved it up maybe 1/4"? maybe less. on my pedal bike I run a 170mm definitely couldn't do that on this bike.

You could get a one up dropper, it has shims to so can set custom hight.

What I found was even though the reach on this large is generous because the seat angle is steep it feels smaller than my bike with shorter reach and slack seat post as a result I have my saddle all the back in the rails. It is nice to not be so far over the back of the bike but feels more compact than I thought it would.. might bump up to 60mm stem.

Honestly though it could be me just not quite used to a much steeper seat angle than my peddal bike.. think my Hightower has a 74* seta tube angle, think decoy is 77*.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
So second ride tonight and probably one of the most fun rides I’ve ever had on a bike. The first ride was a shakedown/learning ride.. tweaking saddle, seat post, controls etc.

After second ride I no longer feel the bike is under powered, it was just the fact that I wasn’t keeping my cadence high enough on first go. Once I kept my cadence about 90 made a huge difference. I did whole ride in trail with a few boost moments for tech climbs. Managed 11 miles and 2600’ of climbing in just over an hour and still had 3 bars when I got to the truck! Normally that ride would be at least a 2hr affair.

Bike also felt like it was correct size, just getting used to steep seat tube angle. Feels perfect now for me at 5’10”

Anyway, really digging the bike.. it rips and handles great! Amazing how much better suspension works on a 50lbs bike vs a 30lbs bike!!

D

Deleted member 7401

Thanks for the review. I was against buying a YT based on possible issues that could arise. But, a friend of a friend has a decoy and have heard nothing but good things so I am now seriously considering based on price alone.

The only reason I am in standbye mode now is if/when the larger battery is released.?

Don’t want to pull the trigger now and have the larger battery become available just after I do...

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Thanks for the review. I was against buying a YT based on possible issues that could arise. But, a friend of a friend has a decoy and have heard nothing but good things so I am now seriously considering based on price alone.

The only reason I am in standbye mode now is if/when the larger battery is released.?

Don’t want to pull the trigger now and have the larger battery become available just after I do...

today I did 15.5 miles and 3500’ elevation gain and I still had 2 bars! Used boost and trail only no eco.. was just under 2 hours ride.. sure i might want a little more now and again but that’s about as much as I would do on average... could probably get 20 miles and over 4000’ and that purely in trail and boost.

DeezNutzz

Jan 13, 2020
Temecula
Stoked that your part of the YT family I too bought a base model Decoy 2019 but the mullet version, I upgraded the rear shock right away i needed a piggy back for sure and also upgraded the dropper to a matching DVO one. Yes you do need to get use to how to ride an EBike especially in the ups, but I downloaded a app called Stunlocker and that further helps you tweak your bike out for maximum range and power. Now I can climb 3500ft and literally have like three bars left in my bike and that’s a 540wh battery. I’m 5’11” and I bought a Large and I feel it fits just fine. This is my second EBike and this YT tips

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Stoked that your part of the YT family I too bought a base model Decoy 2019 but the mullet version, I upgraded the rear shock right away i needed a piggy back for sure and also upgraded the dropper to a matching DVO one. Yes you do need to get use to how to ride an EBike especially in the ups, but I downloaded a app called Stunlocker and that further helps you tweak your bike out for maximum range and power. Now I can climb 3500ft and literally have like three bars left in my bike and that’s a 540wh battery. I’m 5’11” and I bought a Large and I feel it fits just fine. This is my second EBike and this YT tips

What tweeks did you make with stunlocker? I was worried about warranty issues and also blowing up motor if it’s overclocked.

New rear shock will be first purchase but so surprised how well the stock shock works... weight really helps with suspension.

philippe1

Sep 4, 2019
Genk, Belgium
What I found was even though the reach on this large is generous because the seat angle is steep it feels smaller than my bike with shorter reach and slack seat post as a result I have my saddle all the back in the rails. It is nice to not be so far over the back of the bike but feels more compact than I thought it would.. might bump up to 60mm stem.

Honestly though it could be me just not quite used to a much steeper seat angle than my peddal bike.. think my Hightower has a 74* seta tube angle, think decoy is 77*.

Looks that this bike has a high front, aprox 98 cm below the stem, how does this effect steering, do you have sufficient pressure on the bar. In some Decoy(mullet) reviews there were some complaints about understeering because of this high front and couldnt lower the stem, only a flat bar would help lowering the front.

Would a medium size be that much different, stack almost the same, reach 2.5 cm less but 5mm lower head, shorter weelbase, maybe more agile?? I'm am 1.76 m and never had a large bike.

Philippe

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
One thing to note... check you b tension screw on rear derailleur, mine was way, way off. there is a little line above the top jockey wheel that you have to alight with the tooth of the 51 chain ring.

I have been so excited to ride this bike I have been dealing with sub par shifting... no what I adjusted b tension its money!

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Was checking it out today as I have a spare 27.5 plus wheelset you could definitely run decoy 29 with plus wheels if you wanted. Didn’t look like it would drop bb too much.. but clearness for 2.8 in rear.

jhits

Apr 17, 2020
Canada
I’m 5’10” and just ordered 29 Base in Large. Definitely shorter top tube than I’m used too, but the reach looks right and the reach on the XL is long. was concerned about 540Wh, But think it will be ok. I’ll post after I get out on it.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I’m 5’10” and just ordered 29 Base in Large. Definitely shorter top tube than I’m used too, but the reach looks right and the reach on the XL is long. was concerned about 540Wh, But think it will be ok. I’ll post after I get out on it.
You should be good I’m same size and on a large. Give it some time to adjust to it. One thing that threw me off was steep seat tube angle, it puts you more “in” the bike and makes reach feel smaller. One bummer is yt cuts the steer tube super low, basically zero stack. I have a set of 35mm rise bars to try, should arrive tomorrow.

DeezNutzz

Jan 13, 2020
Temecula
I just bought a XL base 29 and I’m 5’11” and with a 49 stem hopefully I got the right size. I had the Mullet Decoy in large felt a little snug

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I just bought a XL base 29 and I’m 5’11” and with a 49 stem hopefully I got the right size. I had the Mullet Decoy in large felt a little snug
yeah you will be good, I could have sized up as well. The one issue you may have is that you may have to run a lower dropper if you have short inseam. I’m 510.5 and run a 150mm all the way slammed on the large. I ran a 170mm on previous bike, couldn’t do that on decoy.

DeezNutzz

Jan 13, 2020
Temecula
So after riding both bikes here is a quick review.

Both bikes are equipped with Rimpact inserts
DVO Suspension
Shimano 4piston Brakes (hate sram)
Upgraded tires Schwalbe Eddy Current 2.8r/2.6f (Mullet) Goodyear Newton 2.6f/r (29er)
Shimano SLX 12sp (29er) Box components 9sp Espec drivetrain (Mullet)
Both bikes have the YT Sippy Cup lol

Mullet Decoy (L) I feel is meant for the steeper DH more gnarly jumps and drops, the added travel helps with rider error and bigger lines. I had a hard time loving the 2.8 rear end I found the tire pressure hard to suit my liking it was either to hard or to soft and folding on the turns. The rear end has tremendous grip though. But the biggest issue with 2.8 tires is your prone to sidewall punctures which I had two. I went 170 up front in travel and this made the bike way more burley. With the bigger travel the seat angle was a little more slack to my liking but still manageable.

29er Decoy (XL) I feel is meant for longer enjoyable rides, I hit the same lines as the Mullet version and on the steep rocky sections you have to choose your lines better and be more cautious. With that being said the straights to mild jumps and gaps man this bike is fast, it’s all about speed with this steed she hates to go slow. The mild rock gardens and quick descents to single track riding this bike is in a league of its own, this bike feels like a sports car rolling over all the stuff at ease. I thought 145 travel out back was gonna hold the bike back but it doesn’t, I hit the big jumps as well with this bike as the mullet, the 29er is more send and forget while the Mullet is more whippy and flashy.

The huge difference between the two is battery!!!!!! I’ve tested the same runs and same times with the same loops at my local spot, and the 29er uses less battery then my Mullet I don’t know if it’s the 29 wheels or better rolling resistance but it does. And for me if your in the market for a EBike you would want your battery to last long especially 540wh capacity battery.

So if your a rider that likes huge jumps and wants a pedal shuttle to do that same gnarly trail over and over again then the Decoy Mullet is for you, if you want an all Mountain explorer type EBike that does everything and pedals very good and is COMFY for long rides then the 29er Decoy is for you. Again this is my opinion and my riding style your more then welcome to chime in on your thoughts ???

DeezNutzz

Jan 13, 2020
Temecula
0BAFABB7-E851-4EF8-8237-CE06AED35D54.jpeg

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
So after riding both bikes here is a quick review.

Both bikes are equipped with Rimpact inserts
DVO Suspension
Shimano 4piston Brakes (hate sram)
Upgraded tires Schwalbe Eddy Current 2.8r/2.6f (Mullet) Goodyear Newton 2.6f/r (29er)
Shimano SLX 12sp (29er) Box components 9sp Espec drivetrain (Mullet)
Both bikes have the YT Sippy Cup lol

Mullet Decoy (L) I feel is meant for the steeper DH more gnarly jumps and drops, the added travel helps with rider error and bigger lines. I had a hard time loving the 2.8 rear end I found the tire pressure hard to suit my liking it was either to hard or to soft and folding on the turns. The rear end has tremendous grip though. But the biggest issue with 2.8 tires is your prone to sidewall punctures which I had two. I went 170 up front in travel and this made the bike way more burley. With the bigger travel the seat angle was a little more slack to my liking but still manageable.

29er Decoy (XL) I feel is meant for longer enjoyable rides, I hit the same lines as the Mullet version and on the steep rocky sections you have to choose your lines better and be more cautious. With that being said the straights to mild jumps and gaps man this bike is fast, it’s all about speed with this steed she hates to go slow. The mild rock gardens and quick descents to single track riding this bike is in a league of its own, this bike feels like a sports car rolling over all the stuff at ease. I thought 145 travel out back was gonna hold the bike back but it doesn’t, I hit the big jumps as well with this bike as the mullet, the 29er is more send and forget while the Mullet is more whippy and flashy.

The huge difference between the two is battery!!!!!! I’ve tested the same runs and same times with the same loops at my local spot, and the 29er uses less battery then my Mullet I don’t know if it’s the 29 wheels or better rolling resistance but it does. And for me if your in the market for a EBike you would want your battery to last long especially 540wh capacity battery.

So if your a rider that likes huge jumps and wants a pedal shuttle to do that same gnarly trail over and over again then the Decoy Mullet is for you, if you want an all Mountain explorer type EBike that does everything and pedals very good and is COMFY for long rides then the 29er Decoy is for you. Again this is my opinion and my riding style your more then welcome to chime in on your thoughts ???

Great review. You are making it a tough choice. I currently have a Jeffsy 29 and love it. I don't go big on jumps, ride some steep stuff but nothing crazy here in Oregon so the 29er seems like a better move. However I am on the shorter side (5'6") and like the idea of not getting tire buzz. I do like the spec better on the Decoy Comp vs Base 29. Also wondering if you ride the Decoy Comp in the higher setting if it could be more playful then the slacker lower setting.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Tyre choice play a bigger factor than you might think in range - a big grippy 2.8 out back is for sure going to knock back range vs something faster rolling.

I like the look of the 29'r, it seems slightly better overall package to me, IMO YT should have gone further with the original Decoy (i know now somewhat rectified with the latest model year spec) and gone full tilt boogie with longer travel. Still a great bike, but has the ability to be pushed so hard that they could have upped the Ante, and it seems a lot of members own build reflect this.

Would love to try one with a dual crown up front, coil out the back and 27.5 both ends.

DeezNutzz

Jan 13, 2020
Temecula
Great review. You are making it a tough choice. I currently have a Jeffsy 29 and love it. I don't go big on jumps, ride some steep stuff but nothing crazy here in Oregon so the 29er seems like a better move. However I am on the shorter side (5'6") and like the idea of not getting tire buzz. I do like the spec better on the Decoy Comp vs Base 29. Also wondering if you ride the Decoy Comp in the higher setting if it could be more playful then the slacker lower setting.

Yes I rode the bike in low and man oh man pedal strikes galore and great slack but for long days and at your local trails I choose to ride in the high great overall feel and no pedal strikes and a lot more comfortable riding 20+ miles

DeezNutzz

Jan 13, 2020
Temecula

Also I put a 160 fork up front instead of the 150 stock so 160 in high position is right on the money

photocycycler

May 2, 2020
PNW
Also I put a 160 fork up front instead of the 150 stock so 160 in high position is right on the money

You put a 160 on the Decoy 29?

Right now I am thinking either the Decoy 29 Base and then upgrade to Fox or possibly upgrade the Yari to a lyrik with 160 if that’s possible. I really like the e13 wheels in my Jeffsy, not a fan of the DT Swiss they have on the Decoy 29ers.

DeezNutzz

Jan 13, 2020
Temecula

Right now I am thinking either the Decoy 29 Base and then upgrade to Fox or possibly upgrade the Yari to a lyrik with 160 if that’s possible. I really like the e13 wheels in my Jeffsy, not a fan of the DT Swiss they have on the Decoy 29ers.

Yup I had to up the fork travel a bit and to me it’s right on the money, I didn’t ride it with the 150 I rode 160 up front brand new and I love this a lot

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa

the yari is a lyrik with different internals.. easy to make it into a lyrik and you can go up to 180mm of travel. I’m going to bump mine to 160mm and add a coil conversion, looking at the one from vospring Smashpot - Fork Coil Conversion System
I run mine in low, haven’t tried high yet. Going coip
On rear as well woot!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles