First eMTB, Can't decide Levo vs Devinci DC?

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Sounds like it was an honest (but stupid) mistake. Their inventory isn't merged and the sales rep didn't check online sales before letting the bike go. Thankfully they had talked me into taking the Medium but they also had a Large both 2019 and that silver colour. Their phone sales guy (who has been amazing throughout) after quite a long chat was convinced I would be happier with the medium and he said I could just swap it for the large at the store if I didn't like it after some adjusting. So I still have access to the Large and they are going to drop the price even further. But they've also offered me a significant discount on the 2020 Trek Rail 7 or the 2020 Kona Remote 160.

Bounderwater

Jun 29, 2020
Vancouver Island, BC
Sounds like it was an honest (but stupid) mistake. Their inventory isn't merged and the sales rep didn't check online sales before letting the bike go. Thankfully they had talked me into taking the Medium but they also had a Large both 2019 and that silver colour. Their phone sales guy (who has been amazing throughout) after quite a long chat was convinced I would be happier with the medium and he said I could just swap it for the large at the store if I didn't like it after some adjusting. So I still have access to the Large and they are going to drop the price even further. But they've also offered me a significant discount on the 2020 Trek Rail 7 or the 2020 Kona Remote 160.
I am so glad that they are fixing their mistakes and offering you another bike.

I demoed a 2020 Trek Rail 7 not long ago, It's a 29er and felt solid on descent (only did on a few blue trails) but the tires didn't perform well on climbing. The Bosch motor has the new power upgrade and it was very smooth on Emtb mode. The price was a bit high for its spec level IMHO, depending on how much discount they can give you, Rail 7 is a good second option if the medium sized DC doesn't work for you. Hope this helps!

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Dude was totally apologetic when he called to inform me. We had spent a *lot* of time on the phone yesterday going over everything. He asked me a million questions about my riding and spent the time making sure I was going to be happy with a Medium even though I wanted the Large. The reality is I've only played on Larges so far, except a Medium Levo Comp I had 15 minutes in a parking lot on and it felt cramped, so it started sinking in that maybe I was being a fool and the Medium was actually a better fit if it was fitted for me. So he sold me on at least trying a medium knowing how the large felt and switching if I hated it. Then they sold the medium after I purchased it...lol.

Trek was never on my hit list because it was 8K (CDN) which was where my cut off was tax in. It also seemed to be over priced for the spec. I haven't got a lot of time on the Bosch so I really appreciate the feedback there. I took out an Opus hard tail last year for an hour with a Bosch motor and honestly between the Shimano and Bosch I didn't really have a preference other than the Shimano display was nicer. I was a little jealous when I read about the upgrade this year and it was one of the reasons I started this thread so it's kinda odd that I might be landing on one. That and I am a huge fan of Trek (Gary Fisher really). I've loved my Fishers in the past and was looking at the Fuel 8ex last year when I started to realize that eMTB was where I really wanted to be.

I've never ridden a Kona and the guy at the store said they were great but in 2020 the new geo with the shorter chain stays etc...leant well to the 29" wheels which I'm still a little concerned with but every major manufacturer went to 29ers this year with no 27 option, except Kona, so I think it's just something I need to accept and learn to deal with. While I am spending more money I honestly think he's right that I would benefit from the changes in the 2020 models, one of which being the bigger battery which was the major draw to the Levo Comp.

So it's either a 2020 medium/29/Bosch/634wh with a good discount or a 2019 large/27.5/Shimano/504wh with a huge discount. They are putting both aside for me to check out this weekend. I told him either way I'm walking away with one or the other.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
Dude was totally apologetic when he called to inform me. We had spent a *lot* of time on the phone yesterday going over everything. He asked me a million questions about my riding and spent the time making sure I was going to be happy with a Medium even though I wanted the Large. The reality is I've only played on Larges so far, except a Medium Levo Comp I had 15 minutes in a parking lot on and it felt cramped, so it started sinking in that maybe I was being a fool and the Medium was actually a better fit if it was fitted for me. So he sold me on at least trying a medium knowing how the large felt and switching if I hated it. Then they sold the medium after I purchased it...lol.

Trek was never on my hit list because it was 8K (CDN) which was where my cut off was tax in. It also seemed to be over priced for the spec. I haven't got a lot of time on the Bosch so I really appreciate the feedback there. I took out an Opus hard tail last year for an hour with a Bosch motor and honestly between the Shimano and Bosch I didn't really have a preference other than the Shimano display was nicer. I was a little jealous when I read about the upgrade this year and it was one of the reasons I started this thread so it's kinda odd that I might be landing on one. That and I am a huge fan of Trek (Gary Fisher really). I've loved my Fishers in the past and was looking at the Fuel 8ex last year when I started to realize that eMTB was where I really wanted to be.

I've never ridden a Kona and the guy at the store said they were great but in 2020 the new geo with the shorter chain stays etc...leant well to the 29" wheels which I'm still a little concerned with but every major manufacturer went to 29ers this year with no 27 option, except Kona, so I think it's just something I need to accept and learn to deal with. While I am spending more money I honestly think he's right that I would benefit from the changes in the 2020 models, one of which being the bigger battery which was the major draw to the Levo Comp.

So it's either a 2020 medium/29/Bosch/634wh with a good discount or a 2019 large/27.5/Shimano/504wh with a huge discount. They are putting both aside for me to check out this weekend. I told him either way I'm walking away with one or the other.

I think Devinci still had a few of the higher end model Devinci AC’s in stock. I’m pretty sure if they want too they can get close to what your budget is on that model too.

Bounderwater

Jun 29, 2020
Vancouver Island, BC

Awesome! I think you cannot go wrong with either of them especially with a good deal on price:).

I want to buy a DC even though I haven't tried one yet, but If right now a LBS offers me a Rail 7 with the same price as a 2020 DC, I will take it right away. A new Bosch motor and a bigger battery will be expensive on any eMTB, and I will only need to upgrading the tires and maybe the fork damper for my liking.

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Well I did it and it's done. Just did my first 30+K ride this morning and ended up downtown. Will hit the hills either this afternoon or tomorrow. Super happy and can't wait to put it through it's paces. Thanks for the advice here folks!!!

2020-07-27 09.56.45.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles