First eMTB, Can't decide Levo vs Devinci DC?

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
OK I know this has likely been done to death but I need some feedback here. I have a budget that is firm, I cannot currently splurge for the Levo Comp. So I'm wondering if anyone has any comments between the Levo and Devinci DC NX.

Bit about my riding: I live in the foothills of the Laurentiens in Canada. Our terrain in some places is SUPER steep and technical. People come from Whistler and wonder how we ride some of this stuff (check out Camp Fortune for my local lift operator). I'm a seasoned rider but getting old.

Bit about the differences between rides:

The Devinci has a better suspension IMO. It also has the 4 piston rear brake which I think is important. The Levo has a better motor and the possibility of upgrading the 500wh battery with the new 700wh when I want which is a very appealing feature to me as I can't say the same about the Devinci.

I've ridden the Devinci quite a bit last year as I was able to rent it, which I would do again this year if it wasn't for COVID. I found it felt a little bit like a tank but was wicked fun and took any abuse I threw at it. The Shimano motor was noisy and clanked when changing gears but I sorta chalk that up to eMTB'ing. But then I test rode a Levo in town and well, it has no noise. I felt a bit cramped but that could be solved by moving up from the Medium to a Large I think (I'm 5'9 ~ 165lbs).

I worry that Shimano has fallen behind on the e8000. I know they could release a software upgrade like Bosch did this year to up the power a little and they have their tuning software but I've heard it's not great and best to leave it as factory sets it.

I also have this nagging problem in my mind. I had a Specialized Big Hit Pro in the day for downhilling and loved it. I bought a 2010 RockHopper hard tail and *hate* the geometry on it, I get cramped shoulders and hands from long rides with it, which has really put a bad taste in my mouth regarding Specialized. I didn't get cramped or feel uncomfortable at all on the Devinci but I can't compare it to the Levo. The Devinci is a bit more slack which I like but they also have a flip chip to play with that, the Levo does not. I'm pretty sure I would set it and forget it but I would make it as slack as possible for the down hills.

Oh and I do like the overall lighter weight of the Levo. Getting the Devinci up on my roof rack after 5 - 6 laps of Camp Fortune was the biggest challenge...Noodle arms after all that riding.

So I guess my questions are:

- is the Brose motor significantly better than the e8000
- is the suspension on the Levo really that much different than the Devinci
- do I really care that I would have a 2 piston rear brake vs the 4
- I rode a Large Devinci last year, would the large Levo feel roughly the same (I can only find a large in my area)

Thanks for any feed back in advance. I got the approved budget yesterday from my loving wife and didn't sleep last night thinking all of this over. Any feed back is very much appreciated. This is the most expensive toy I've ever purchased. I don't want to make a bad choice (which I think I've resigned to the idea I can't between these two bikes but I don't want any regrets either).

Bounderwater

Jun 29, 2020
Vancouver Island, BC
3 reasons to pick Devinci DC over Levo IMHO:
1. Shimano Motor is more reliable, just read some long term reviews on brose motors, they have many issues with the internal belt system
2. Better suspensions for the money
3. I believe the frame is still made in Canada :)

I am trying to decide among Norco Sight VLT, Devinci DC NX or Trek Rail at this moment. Levo was on my list before but I don’t trust the motor anymore. We had a hybrid ebike with brose motor in the past and it had to be replaced in a year due to belt issues. I hope this helps.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I don’t have a DC but I almost bought one until I demo’d a Devinci AC. I ended up going with the AC, I love the plus size tires and the added suspension, but I have more of a moto background.

At first I thought I’d prefer the shorter travel for climbing but once you realize that a long travel emtb can climb fine with more enduro suspension I couldn’t imagine getting one with less travel unless I never rode up in the mountains.

B581AD59-82D1-4C47-9C54-8405149CBBC7.jpeg

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
Had the 2020 Levo. Lovely bike to ride, but reliability issues on Brose motor, battery, TCU and wiring harness issues meant i could'nt trust that the bike would work. Shame really. Certainly feel that i paid for the brand when choosing specialized although warranty is very good.

Looking elsewhere for another brand now. Similar specs, but nowhere near the Specialized price tag

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Just as a heads up, Shimano are releasing a new motor and updated larger batteries in the later half of this year, meaning that the majority of next years models which will launch in early Spring, will have either both the new motor and 630wh battery, or at least the newer battery

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
I got the approved budget yesterday from my loving wife and didn't sleep last night thinking all of this over.

I think it took me 6 months between deciding to get an emtb and actually figuring out which one. I went for a levo after they announced the 700 w battery, and of course it was an early one and the motor blew after 2k km. I test rode a Pivot with the shimano motor and yes it was klunky on off the throttle, maybe it was just that bike. You can tell just riding around the block if you are ok with the drivetrain

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
@Bounderwater yeah I love the fact I'd be buying Canadian aluminium and it's made here too. Thanks for the response. If it helps your decision at all I loved the time I spent on the DC last season. The biggest reason I'm second guessing it is the motor...but can you really go wrong with Shimano?

@jbrown15 I have looked at the AC but the price puts it out of reach. My quick experience with the Brose motor left me wondering if it was tuned for cyclists, where the shimano felt like it was just geared for speed and power. So then I started thinking about what I want which is a cross between an MX and an MTB. So your feed back is awesome. There is a used AC (demo bike) available in QC I've been looking at for 5500CDN but thinking the new DC is likely a better bet for the long term. I also think the 160/150 is likely better for the all around riding I do. Great to hear from someone who has one though! Thanks!

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
@Jeffw wow! That's pretty telling! I've read some of the problems with the Levo but I've also read they were all fixed with the 2020 motor. Not convinced but it had me thinking. What other bikes are you considering now?

@R120 Where did you read that? I haven't Google specifically for that but in all the news I've been reading about motors lately I haven't seen a peep from Shimano on a new motor or an update to the e8000. Would love to soak some of that love up... :)

@paquo yeah...I've been working on this since last summer when I gave the DC back to the rental shop that last time. I swore I would get one this year or rent them more. The DC was the obvious choice because price/parts balance and the fact I had spent some time on it and it was awesome. I tried Bosch and Shimano last year and was actually happier with the Shimano overall. But then I tried the Brose quickly in May in the city and I loved how quiet it was and how smooth it shifted. That was about all I loved though. I found that as I mentioned above to jbrown15, it felt as if there was still drag on the pedals even in full assist mode. It didn't feel like it was getting me to 32K and then backing off, more that it was assisting me to keep my cadence and speed but not provide the "turbo". Without a speedo on the bars it's hard to tell. That said I passed a roadie while trying it and he never caught back up so I must have been going fast. I thought maybe the thing was just that smooth. After the small ride with Shimano would you ever consider it even with the issues you've had with the Brose?

I got lucky yesterday after making this post and managed to get a Levo for a day tomorrow in the hills. Hopefully that will extinguish any last minute jitters in making my decision. I've had plenty of saddle time on the DC, I should get a full battery drain tomorrow on the Levo in a very hilly area so it will be a great test and I hope to decide and purchase by the weekend.

Thanks again for all your responses so far (please keep them coming!). I woke up thinking all the responses would be "don't be stupid, get the Levo" so I'm pleasantly surprised to see the opposite.

Last edited:

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
If Shimano stuck with the E8000 As it’s flagship Motor for the next 5 years, that’s the only motor I’d continue to use based on my experience owning it and compared to all other motors I’ve ridden performance wise.

Bounderwater

Jun 29, 2020
Vancouver Island, BC
@volksman Glad that you will get a chance to try a Levo on the hills.
My LBS said they have no issues with the reliability on Shimano motor so far. I loved our family commuter e-bike with the Brose motor (quite, smooth and powerful) but that all changed when it failed on us and had to stay in the bike shop for a couple of month for a new motor.. When I learnt that Levo uses a Brose motor, that's a big turn off to me.
It's impossible to find a DC or AC available locally here, but I will have a demo day with a Norco at the end of the month which has the Shimano motor. Good luck with your purchase and please share your experience with us.

@jbrown15 That's a nice looking AC! I hope I can try the AC and DC back to back.. I usually ride medium frame (I am 5'8) but there is a bike shop in another city has a AC in small size, not sure if they will work for me and worth the drive there.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
@volksman Glad that you will get a chance to try a Levo on the hills.
My LBS said they have no issues with the reliability on Shimano motor so far. I loved our family commuter e-bike with the Brose motor (quite, smooth and powerful) but that all changed when it failed on us and had to stay in the bike shop for a couple of month for a new motor.. When I learnt that Levo uses a Brose motor, that's a big turn off to me.
It's impossible to find a DC or AC available locally here, but I will have a demo day with a Norco at the end of the month which has the Shimano motor. Good luck with your purchase and please share your experience with us.

@jbrown15 That's a nice looking AC! I hope I can try the AC and DC back to back.. I usually ride medium frame (I am 5'8) but there is a bike shop in another city has a AC in small size, not sure if they will work for me and worth the drive there.

Thanks, I'm 5'8" and feel like the medium fits perfect. But a small might work with a longer stem. I've done a few upgrades with a Ergon seat (stock one sucks) OneUp carbon bars with the 35mm rise, running their stem with the tool kit and OneUp pedals. And I put some new XTR 4 piston brakes on as I didn't like the Guide RE's. Next upgrade I plan on is a OneUp dropper post as the one that comes with the bike isn't the greatest and once the drive train wears out I plan on putting some Shimano XT 1x12 drivetrain on it and then run a large front sprocket.

Unfortunately I think Devinci is all sold out of both the AC's and DC's. At least the lower end versions are.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
@Jeffw wow! That's pretty telling! I've read some of the problems with the Levo but I've also read they were all fixed with the 2020 motor. Not convinced but it had me thinking. What other bikes are you considering now?

@R120 Where did you read that? I haven't Google specifically for that but in all the news I've been reading about motors lately I haven't seen a peep from Shimano on a new motor or an update to the e8000. Would love to soak some of that love up... :)

MrBrownstone

May 2, 2020
Maine
@jbrown15 A long stem on a small sized frame may work. I usually run 35mm or 50mm stems on my bike but I think 60mm will be fine to me. They all sold out here, I may have to go with another brand...:(

you are firmly a medium sized frame. Don’t try to medium a small size frame. It’ll still be a small. For shorter riders than yourself.

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Well I rode the Levo (it was a Comp) today. It was a large and I'm 5'9" and it was delicious. As much as I think I'm a medium I don't mind the reach but hate the feeling of being cramped. The medium felt like my knees were brushing the bars. The large felt perfect aside from the dropper being set to high.

I'm no farther ahead on my decision though. That Brose is just amazingly smooth and quiet which I really really like. I also found that with the motor off, pedalling the bike didn't feel like I was biking with the brakes on. That was a good surprise.

With the Shimano I left it on Hi when climbing, trail or not. I was basically playing between low and medium on the Levo, I only really hit Hi on the way home as I was actually in a rush to get back as I spent too much time playing.

That said, I know the suspension and brakes I was playing with today are at least one step up from what I would be buying. They were great and would suit me just fine, but I worry that by stepping down I will be bounced and bucked on the more technical trails I ride back home (I'm not on my home trails today).

Gotta run but back online tomorrow night. Thanks again for all the feedback on this stuff. It's really great to hear from others in the same boat. @Bounderwater are you in Canada?

Bounderwater

Jun 29, 2020
Vancouver Island, BC
Well I rode the Levo (it was a Comp) today. It was a large and I'm 5'9" and it was delicious. As much as I think I'm a medium I don't mind the reach but hate the feeling of being cramped. The medium felt like my knees were brushing the bars. The large felt perfect aside from the dropper being set to high.

I'm no farther ahead on my decision though. That Brose is just amazingly smooth and quiet which I really really like. I also found that with the motor off, pedalling the bike didn't feel like I was biking with the brakes on. That was a good surprise.

With the Shimano I left it on Hi when climbing, trail or not. I was basically playing between low and medium on the Levo, I only really hit Hi on the way home as I was actually in a rush to get back as I spent too much time playing.

That said, I know the suspension and brakes I was playing with today are at least one step up from what I would be buying. They were great and would suit me just fine, but I worry that by stepping down I will be bounced and bucked on the more technical trails I ride back home (I'm not on my home trails today).

Gotta run but back online tomorrow night. Thanks again for all the feedback on this stuff. It's really great to hear from others in the same boat. @Bounderwater are you in Canada?
Yea, on Vancouver Island:)

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Dammit. Just realized why the ride on Thursday felt so weird and the bike so tall. The DC I was playing on last year had 27.5s and these new ones have 29! I knew the new bikes had 29 but I thought the model I was playing on last year was also 29s. Anyone know if I absolutely hate the 29s can I put 27.5s on it?

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
@Bounderwater can't seem to find it anymore. Might have been sold. I will keep my eyes out for it though. I found a DC but my wife doesn't want me to risk shipping and is asking me to settle on the Levo but after riding the Comp and comparing spec the Devinci is just so much more bike for the money. So I'm in limbo. I could go get a Levo today but I don't think I will be happy with it. The comp I rode last week started making a wining noise on the second ride and it scared me to thinking that that brand new motor was already showing signs of wear. Not something I want to even think about for the first 2 years of owning something like this.

Bounderwater

Jun 29, 2020
Vancouver Island, BC
@Bounderwater can't seem to find it anymore. Might have been sold. I will keep my eyes out for it though. I found a DC but my wife doesn't want me to risk shipping and is asking me to settle on the Levo but after riding the Comp and comparing spec the Devinci is just so much more bike for the money. So I'm in limbo. I could go get a Levo today but I don't think I will be happy with it. The comp I rode last week started making a wining noise on the second ride and it scared me to thinking that that brand new motor was already showing signs of wear. Not something I want to even think about for the first 2 years of owning something like this.
Thanks for looking for the link. I may have to wait until Sept when there are more options on the market!
It’s a shame that the Levo has an unreliable motor. It’s such a good (but expensive) bike, I wish they can come up with a new motor and I will be interested in buying one then.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
my wife doesn't want me to risk shipping and is asking me to settle on the Levo but after riding the Comp and comparing spec the Devinci is just so much more bike for the money.

It will be your bike, not your wife's. YOU have to decide what is right for you, otherwise you might spend a lot of money on a Levo and never feel happy with it.

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
@Bounderwater after to speaking to many shops today they all said they were expecting bikes to start rolling in first week of Sept. Still a long ways out and too much riding to miss out on. I'm getting fatter and older by the day so now is the time!

@Nicho couldn't agree more. I told her this morning I wasn't buying the Levo and would settle without for now. As luck would have it I found a brand new 2019 in stock which has the 27.5s and only 2 hours away in an area I need to go within the next week anyways! The 2020 would be a slight upgrade but I'm not going to be that picky. To add to it I'm saving 2200 off the 2020. Trying to reserve it right now!!!!

volksman

Jul 14, 2020
Ottawa, ON, Canada
All confirmed! I go to Montreal this weekend to pick it up! CAN"T WAIT! Thanks again for all the info in this thread. I would have likely made a bad choice without it.

DEV-DCNX-GX19-ARG.jpg

Will follow up with pics of my own once I get it. Can't wait to get ripping!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles