Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Newbie post. I’ll be An old fart (60yrs) next month and purchased a Trek Rail 9.7 in October 2019, which arrived in December 2019. I’ve added a few upgrades (carbon bar, Wolfe tooth dropper remote, magnetic peddles, ergo grips, custom seat, kiox computer, front fender and assorted tools.
So far the bike has been great and I’m able to ride 15km to 40km each day (3x up the mountain, rain or shine). The trails here are well maintained and the mountain bike community has been awesome. I get many looks and I’m starting to see more emtb in the past 4-5 months. Having fun going up and going down.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
Another almost old fart here (57) from your neck of the woods. Just bought a Rail 5 a month or so ago and am getting back on the trails (haven't really ridden MTB for about 10 years now). Have to admit I am not quite yet completely comfortable and back at the skill level I used to be at, but am definitely enjoying being back out there.

Generally have been riding SFU, but was thinking about taking on some rides closer to where you are. I know there's Burke and Eagle out there, but was actually thinking of checking out Thornhill first.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Awesome man! Congrats and have fun with a more enjoyable time outdoors.

at 60 I hope to have three 20 YO girlfriends.

Speaking as someone well past 60, my opinion is that the only positive thing about having three 20 year old girlfriends would be that they can talk among themselves and so we can go out to play. I mean, who really wants to discuss fashion, make up and false nails when there are trails to be ripped?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Another almost old fart here (57) from your neck of the woods. Just bought a Rail 5 a month or so ago and am getting back on the trails (haven't really ridden MTB for about 10 years now). Have to admit I am not quite yet completely comfortable and back at the skill level I used to be at, but am definitely enjoying being back out there.

Generally have been riding SFU, but was thinking about taking on some rides closer to where you are. I know there's Burke and Eagle out there, but was actually thinking of checking out Thornhill first.
Burke is at my back door. Apparently the trails are a bit more difficult here. Very technical But good for all levels. I’m gonna ride over to Eagle and SFU soon, but Burke has so many trails (70) that I need to ride (even if i have to walk/push). Ive adopted a trail here (blue/green) and others have done the same. You gotta like that.

Whistler is on the bucket list.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Whistler is amazing. I went there for a weekend almost 20 years ago and ended up staying for over a year. One of the best years of my life.
Whistler is crazy during CrankWerks. I have a place to stay so the trail network is in my sights. I might be called a few names but I’ll tow my old walker(or have a pic ready). Grouse Mountian is about to start a network of trails also. Might not be able to ride an emtb at either of those places because of the lift.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
Whistler is crazy during CrankWerks. I have a place to stay so the trail network is in my sights. I might be called a few names but I’ll tow my old walker(or have a pic ready). Grouse Mountian is about to start a network of trails also. Might not be able to ride an emtb at either of those places because of the lift.

Cypress used to have a lift access bike park before the Olympics but never re-opened it after. Would be great to see Grouse do something like that. Whistler is Whistler and operates in a completely different economic reality from the Lower Mainland hills. Grouse would likely base a decision on whether the number of visitors who would leave the ebike at home and rent a DH or AM bike from them versus going there at all versus just riding the trails. Given that you don't need their Skyride and lifts to ride that mountain and the riding that's already available on the Shore ... I would think that financial analysis would support allowing ebikes onto their trails.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Cypress used to have a lift access bike park before the Olympics but never re-opened it after. Would be great to see Grouse do something like that. Whistler is Whistler and operates in a completely different economic reality from the Lower Mainland hills. Grouse would likely base a decision on whether the number of visitors who would leave the ebike at home and rent a DH or AM bike from them versus going there at all versus just riding the trails. Given that you don't need their Skyride and lifts to ride that mountain and the riding that's already available on the Shore ... I would think that financial analysis would support allowing ebikes onto their trails.
I think the trend is towards year round activities which is why mountians like Cypress and Grouse, which are also commercial, are going to head towards mtb trails. The ski season is becoming shorter or these businesses cant rely on a single season activity to survive. Meanwhile, mountains like Burke, Burnaby, SFU, Eagle and the trails throughout our communities are going to be go-to destinations for our emtb. I live next to Harper Park, which is next to Burke Mountian, and I still haven’t explored every trail after almost a year of hiking and biking In this area.

So now that I’ve retired I guess i have to “give back”, so I volunteered for trail maintenance/building on Burke. There’s always alot to do after a heavy rain (the roots are like railroad crossings to a Roadie) but having an EMTB makes these tasks easier.

Warekiwi

May 19, 2020
Ware
You're only a "youngun"! I'm 71 next month and bought my first eMTB last month- I've been a regular cyclist for many years. The eMTB is great though and encourages me to be more adventurous- particularly off-road. I'm fortunate that the part of the UK where I live (just north of London) is well served with legal tracks everywhere- some are a bit rough but the bike suspension makes a huge difference. Most of the time I just use the Shimano E8000 in "Eco" mode but this makes a huge difference overall. Best thing I've bought for a long time!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
You're only a "youngun"! I'm 71 next month and bought my first eMTB last month- I've been a regular cyclist for many years. The eMTB is great though and encourages me to be more adventurous- particularly off-road. I'm fortunate that the part of the UK where I live (just north of London) is well served with legal tracks everywhere- some are a bit rough but the bike suspension makes a huge difference. Most of the time I just use the Shimano E8000 in "Eco" mode but this makes a huge difference overall. Best thing I've bought for a long time!
It certainly levels the playing field. Ive noticed more riders our age showing up with emtb. Some of us needed the little extra boost and i hope that When I’m 70 I can still crash through the trails on a regular basis. I can also understand why some can’t have an emtb at this time. They’re expensive and if I had to choose between a hobby and family...its a no-brainer. Soon the prices will drop, but for now finances and ability will decide.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
Just thought I'd resurrect this because thinking of heading to Kamloops in a couple of weeks and just noticed that Sun Peaks not only allows e-bikes into the lift access bike park but actually rents Rocky Instinct Powerplay BCs.

Maybe that is a good omen for whatever they are planning on Grouse.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
60yrs today. Went for another ride this morning with my son-in-law, who just bought the Rail 7 yesterday. He can’t stop praising it. Took him on a 30km venture up Burke Mountian. He’s never seen this part of the mountain before or most of the new and secret trails. He’ll keep the Fuel 5 for Whistler.

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
@Stihldog, thought I'd resurrect this thread only because I finally did some riding in your backyard today. Started with Garbage, then rode Fluid, Ray Ray's, Green Bastard, and finished up with Fluid. That's about all my buddy on his 2004 era acoustic could manage in the heat.

Didn't love Garbage, but the rest of the trails were a lot of fun! You maintain some of them I think?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
@Stihldog, thought I'd resurrect this thread…

Ah, I must’ve just missed you. I was over by Bulletdodger, Get Some then Mentalista (Mental Floss and Sandinista).

Did some trail maintenance earlier but got chased out by the mosquitoes (they were bad). Fluid is my favourite and kinda my skill level. All those trails are great though and very technical. I’m not a fan of Garbage but it may be connected to Recycle and Get Some soon. There’s some awesome trails below Woodlands Walk, in that area by the gun range, that I resurrected. Emtb friendly loops that are off the main trails or away from crowds (secret and camouflaged entrances). Fern Trail will blow your mind. I need chicken lanes for that one. (45’ gaps). Most aren’t mapped.
Cheers
Mark

E6360888-29E5-450F-9EA2-9B9D29209FC2.jpeg

CE1870CA-9878-45FD-85E8-5E6D477F4E8F.jpeg

3567B080-3C15-48FD-A0F0-F9400A18328C.jpeg

25D49DD5-D641-47D1-8B72-F8DFF88D50B2.jpeg

3C39C20B-F377-4FB1-9E68-66AE81356298.jpeg

8F66FDC5-0A58-4AF5-900B-2260A6BE2255.jpeg

4CA01D24-8E05-4819-B3C2-973224DB52F5.jpeg

BB5F5743-1E80-4402-B168-8F6EF89852F5.jpeg

1E5CF5C1-E762-4CAE-855C-FB7BD13F50C6.jpeg

C94E4F48-8A90-441A-AC07-2CB3E132C04D.jpeg

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
Some of that does look crazy. Was our first time on Burke and not anxious to go into unmapped stuff that isn't on Trailforks without knowing the mountain;)

Very Shore like, but with a little more flow in those trails we rode at the end. Finishing up with GB and Flow was a great way to end the day!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Some of that does look crazy. Was our first time on Burke and not anxious to go into unmapped stuff that isn't on Trailforks without knowing the mountain…
Most trails aren’t marked or mapped on a single map (app). Strava, Trail Forks, Kamoot, All Trails, Avenza Maps, and maybe google, shows about 90% of the trails here.
GPS is your friend on this mountain but cell service is spotty or non-existing once you pass the gun range. IMO the better trails are at higher elevations (hence eMTB) but are secret ? and not mapped (on purpose I guess). Probably similar in your area.

I think this is still a “young mountain”. New trails are being developed, old trails are being resurrected, signage is …well, you need a map.

The folks with Torca (volunteer group) are doing a good job given the resources they have to work with. This mountain use to be called “Dollar Mountain” (I read the book) and the name changed to Burke Mountian a number of years ago. Mainly a Provincial Park except private lands at the very beginning. Trails like Hustler, Fluid, Green Bastard, etc, may not be here after development in several years.

My focus will remain with the higher trails or trails within the park. Some of us may need to become active in the future planning …cause it’s gonna/gotta happen.

wagonrd

Dec 22, 2020
Roseville, CA
Newbie post. I’ll be An old fart (60yrs) next month and purchased a Trek Rail 9.7 in October 2019, which arrived in December 2019. I’ve added a few upgrades (carbon bar, Wolfe tooth dropper remote, magnetic peddles, ergo grips, custom seat, kiox computer, front fender and assorted tools.
So far the bike has been great and I’m able to ride 15km to 40km each day (3x up the mountain, rain or shine). The trails here are well maintained and the mountain bike community has been awesome. I get many looks and I’m starting to see more emtb in the past 4-5 months. Having fun going up and going down.
Hooray for you! There are many great years ahead of you. I'm still pedalling mtb's at age 88, albiet slower and conservatively, but an activity that makes my day brighter.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Hooray for you! There are many great years ahead of you. I'm still pedalling mtb's at age 88, albiet slower and conservatively, but an activity that makes my day brighter.

Well, in 28yrs we can trade up to the “Transformer-Graphene-Lithium+” eMTB model and teach our great-great-grandchildren a few skills. I don’t know if there’s an age limit…but let’s ignore that for now. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles