First ebike

Hgian808

Nov 4, 2020
Hawaii
Little back story, haven't ridden in any bike in 20 years, just got the kids some bikes, the other half got a Electra townie. So now its my turn.. went to my lbs, took an allant +7s around the lot for a test drive. Crazy feel with the motor.. originally thinking ill only ride on the streets, but might have to ride some trails.. another thought is I might want to try ride to work once a week.. 19miles one way.. I'm drawn to the rail 5.. but are there any cons to trying to ride that to work? With some conditioning and test runs on the weekend of course.. any other suggestions?
Thanks

Voluptua

Oct 4, 2020
United Kingdom
You can ride a Rail pretty much anywhere. The Trek Powerfly models are a little less extreme than the Rail, and might be a good compromise for you. There are hardtail and full suspension options, as well as models with mudguards, lights and rack fitted, if you needed them.

Hgian808

Nov 4, 2020
Hawaii
Thanks..the powerfly could be an option.. how much different is the feel between the rear suspensions, being the the rail suspension is inside the main frame and the powerfly is behind the frame?..

Voluptua

Oct 4, 2020
United Kingdom
No idea - I've only ridden the Rail - the problem being that the 2021 version of the FS Powerfly is too new - I've not seen one in the wild. I have ordered one - not saying when it will arrive.

The Rail has a lot more suspension travel and is much more suitable for leaping off cliffs etc. It feels quite "long" and wide initially, but once you're used to that it's not ungainly at all - it's lovely.

There's a video test of the Powerfly on youtube here. There's a lot of waffle at the start, but from about 30 minutes in there's some in-motion views, including watching the action of the suspension.

CodyDog

Oct 22, 2020
Colorado/Texas
As mentioned above, basically suspension is the difference, 60/150mm versus 110mm travel. The Power Fly is good for street and light trails. If you are riding trails with drops, roots, rock gardens and jumps, you might want to consider full suspension.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles