• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered First eBike Checklist

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
What would you guys recommend for someone who is new to eMTB but has lots of MTB experience from back in the day (when purple was trendy)? After demoing lots of brands over the last year I've decided to get my first eBike (2019 Levo Comp Carbon). It looks like they won't be available for a while so I've got time to prepare. I've already ordered some of the Saint pedals that @Al Boneta put on the detail bits that matter. I'll look into insurance and protecting the frame but what else. I'll be riding on Bridleways, mountains routes and the occasional bike park.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
So far, the only thing I needed for the ebike was a mutherload strap for a water bottle. No specialty tools required. I've only had one mechanical on the trail, but now looking for a tool kit, since I am riding farther than ever before. I'll probably get the oneup edc and pump.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Purple is still awesome!

Essentials IMO are decent tool kit as per any other bike, with the above mentioned Shock Pump and Torque Wrench. I tend to not use the torque wrench that much, as i believe in self judged brute force, but its good for peace of mind.

Some good tool kits about, if your feeling flush one of the park tool kits!

Tool Kits

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Purple is still awesome!

Essentials IMO are decent tool kit as per any other bike, with the above mentioned Shock Pump and Torque Wrench. I tend to not use the torque wrench that much, as i believe in self judged brute force, but its good for peace of mind.

Some good tool kits about, if your feeling flush one of the park tool kits!

Tool Kits
I used to be an engineering apprentice and I had one SnapOn 10mm spanner and it was a joy to use. I'd like to invest in a Torque wrench any recommendations? I'll take a look at the Park Tools range.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina

EbikeTom

Sep 23, 2018
Annecy, France
I’ve not found I’m taking anything different on the ebike to my regular bike, but I have found it a bit more prone to punctures.

My ride kit is spare tube, co2, tire plug kit, mech hanger, split chain link, multitool, levers, zip ties and pump. Definitely agree with above, they’re hungry on chains and brake pads, so I always keep spares in the tool kit.

In terms of the bike park, I’ve mixed feelings, I’ve ridden my Canyon in them quite a bit and I don’t think it’s brilliant for it. You’ll find you eat the battery in no time, i can get about 4 descents, before the battery is flat (2000m ish), which feels like a short day. They also don’t feel as nimble to jump or quick to turn as an enduro bike, so tight berms and man made features just feel weird and slow. Maybe it’s just me... I think they’re truly brilliant for trail riding and exploring, but I’m yet to be convinced in the bike park.

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
Wot I recently did in order:
1 Tubeless valves
2 Mudhugger front and rear ( with the rear extension on the front guard)
3 Shock pump+ Volume Spacer for rear shock.
4 Knee Pads + Elbow Pads (I already had these but only started wearing them after I slit my knee open down from Snap Farm)
5 Chain wear tool ( or at the latest by 100 miles)
6 Better saddle
7 Better Grips
8 Digital Tire pressure Guage
9 Spare Battery and E back pack
10 E bike light ( due October)

Remember when I had these on my Scott Endorphon in Aberdeen (which Gerry had to borrow when his bike nicked - what year was that)?

p4pb16432549.jpg

Also I would agree with some of Toms points- on Wednesday I was trying to get air born and flick it around - but the next day my abs were aching like I had done 100 sit ups!

Last edited:

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Wot I recently did in order:
1 Tubeless valves
2 Mudhugger front and rear ( with the rear extension on the front guard)
3 Shock pump+ Volume Spacer for rear shock.
4 Knee Pads + Elbow Pads (I already had these but only started wearing them after I slit my knee open down from Snap Farm)
5 Chain wear tool ( or at the latest by 100 miles)
6 Better saddle
7 Better Grips
8 Digital Tire pressure Guage
9 Spare Battery and E back pack
10 E bike light ( due October)

Remember when I had these on my Scott Endorphon in Aberdeen (which Gerry had to borrow when his bike nicked - what year was that)?

p4pb16432549.jpg

Also I would agree with some of Toms points- on Wednesday I was trying to get air born and flick it around - but the next day my abs were aching like I had done 100 sit ups!

Cheers mate - I reckon it was 2001

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles