First e-bike Trance E+ PRO v. Stance E+ PRO

stona1

Sep 9, 2019
Gdynia, PL
Hi All,

It is my first post on this forum. Hello to everyone :)
My everyday bike is Giant Anthem 2 MY2017 (Anthem 2 (2017) | Giant Bicycles United States). I am going to buy my first e-bike. I am 46 y old, and my weight is 70 kg (154 lbs).
Please help me to choose between Giant Trance E+ 2 PRO v. Stance E+ 0 PRO.
Actually I am quite happy with my Anthem 2 (Fork 120mm and Maestro 110mm). I am mostly driving on single tracks in forest near my home. Sometimes very small jumps ~30 cm above ground. No real downhill or enduro :)
Beside this activity I regularly driving longer travel (50 km) to a sea side (it is more gravel roads). Of course I have my old Spec hardtail bike but I almost never use them since I own Anthem 2.

I am considering Haibike too but will ask later on Haibike forum :)

All the best
Arek

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
The Trance is a proper trail bike, I have the E+2 Pro and love it. The Stance is more of a relaxed fit and more entry level.

stona1

Sep 9, 2019
Gdynia, PL
Thank you for answer. I hard the same from friend of mine but he also warn me that Trance geometry make it much harder for longer raiding. My main concern is how harder it will be comparing to my current Anthem 2. As I wrote in my first post I really frequently riding not only on a single tracks but more XC too. Will Trance be a problem on this roads? Anthem 2 is for me very good for both (maybe sometimes is little bit to hard in "downhill" with roots, stones and gaps).

stona1

Sep 9, 2019
Gdynia, PL
try both is a good advice.
If not available maybe some other option in reach.
Of course it would be the best solution but here in Poland it is not an option. If it will be possible I will be do this. Shops don't have e-bikes on the stock. They typically have one (sometimes two) e-bikes from low level (almost exclusively treking or hardtail) for test ride. Just to be able to feel how it is to ride on e-bike. They never have more expensive bikes for test riding.
When you buying "your" e-bike they just order it for you and it is not possible to give it back after purchasing.
It is a reason why I am looking for advice with person who have ability to test this bikes.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Portugal it isn´t a big market but I´ve tried a bunch before buying (Ktm, Specialized, Cube, Trek, Focus).
With so much restriction on local sellers maybee you could consider options from online brands (Canyon, etc).
PS. Giant never the less is a good option.(y)

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
My Trance E+2 Pro is ridden almost always as a cross country trail bike on singletrack bridleways rather than downhill at a bike park. It copes well on downhill trails but is no jump bike.

Last weekend I met the first hill where I couldn't ride straight up a climb and instead I had to get off and walk briefly (Old Winchester Hill in the Meon Valley), the Trance normally climbs like a mountain goat and copes with uneven surfaces beautifully.

For cross country trail riding it is perfect.

skyfree

Aug 31, 2018
Fremont, CA USA
I don't have any experience with a Stance, but it has the lower spec components and lower spec Syncdrive Sport motor instead of the Syncdrive Pro of the Trance, although on paper it's not much of a difference. The E+1 Trance has a GREAT component spec for the price. The suspension is totally dialed for me. That Fox 36 Performance fork is super smooth.

I also have a high-end Haibike that's older, but lighter weight. In comparing the Haibike with the Trance, right away you notice: Higher weight, Lower stack, and longer chainstay and wheelbase on the Trance. This results in a bike that should feel a bit low in the front when descending, and ponderous on tight switchbacks, but it doesn't really work out that way. The Trance does definitely climb better. Everyone who has ridden both bikes prefers the Trance, but I like them both about equally.

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
I have a Stance E+1, I do X-country , trail parks, technical single track, Blue/Black runs.
I've been on rides with other riders , Spec/Cube/Haibike, it goes every where they go, it keeps up with all and faster than some, but that's more about the rider.
The spec is good for the price you pay, I have had no issues.

Its no DH Racer or Jump bike, but it doesn't need to be, I am a 50+yrs amateur leisure rider.

You can easily get caught up in the race for perceived best bike/tech/price and some E-bike snobbery.

Think about what you want to use it for and what you "really" need or you could spend a lot more $$ and be no better off.
Also budget for kit and tyres and carrier (e-bikes) are heavy, unless you have a van or pick up.

The only changes I have made are, seat and grips for comfort and 40mm riser bars for fit as I am 6’ 2”.

Good luck Stona1, post a pic when you've made your purchase :)

Last edited:

stona1

Sep 9, 2019
Gdynia, PL
Thank you all for answers.
I think if I will chose Giant I will go for Trance but before final decision I need to rethink Haibike option :)

All the best Arek

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Hey Arek

I have a Scott eGenius and a Levo Comp - both with 150mm travel. I love the Levo motor and they way it handles in the air but think the componentry is total crap. The bike was $2000 more than the Scott but the Scott has much better brakes & suspension.
A quick look at the Stance and the Trance and for me, I would go for the better components on the Trance. That has not too different feel to my Scott and I rode that 50km on the road the other day doing a loop around my town. I don't think you will be disappointed on any trails less than black diamond with it.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
I like the trance geometry for longer trail rides it’s comfortable, no back or wrist ache. I looked at my sons mountain bike and rode it. I then compared the geometry of the Trance to it that I was ordering blind online. To work out, how far I would need to reach over. How tall it would be etc. Stand over height difference. Where my knees would be at top of stroke with saddle. I’m 5ft 7 49yrs and ordered a small (as per chart) and it’s absolutely perfect.
So my advice is find any mtb with similar frame and wheel size. Then map out on paper how much reach difference their is, saddle / crank height etc and get a feel that way.
Maybe one thing I find ... the steering is very light.

stona1

Sep 9, 2019
Gdynia, PL
Hi Rusty and Shifty,

In the meantime I have had opportunity to ride few e-bikes. It was few models from Haibike with different geometry. Now I am sure that geometry like Trance is for sure OK for me. I am looking even for more fork travel (~160mm) now. Now I am thinking more about comparison between Trance E+ 2 PRO and Reign E+ 2 PRO. Is it not to brave? :)

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Now I am thinking more about comparison between Trance E+ 2 PRO and Reign E+ 2 PRO. Is it not to brave? :)
Unless you are going into black diamond trails I think 150 works well enough.
The big thing - 150,160,170, hell even 200 - if it is not set up correctly is pretty much a waste. Back when I was young & dumb ........ well just turned 50 really, I rode a DH on a fully rigid. Scared the crap out of myself mostly but was faster that day than when I rode it on my Reign 26er as the Reign was not set up and was po-going me all over the place.
To be fair, riding mostly mid grade single-track you will find the eTrance corners a lot better than the eReign.

stona1

Sep 9, 2019
Gdynia, PL
You know how it is the more you have, the more you want but you are right I think I do not need so big fork and suspension travel :)

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I was initially thinking of getting a Stance but best to my knowledge it wasn't available in our country until the 2020 models came in. Has anyone made a weight comparison between the Trance and the Stance? The spec sheet never list the weights.

My Trance E+3Pro with pedals is 24.6kg (54 lbs)

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
I don't have any experience with a Stance, but it has the lower spec components and lower spec Syncdrive Sport motor instead of the Syncdrive Pro of the Trance, although on paper it's not much of a difference. The E+1 Trance has a GREAT component spec for the price. The suspension is totally dialed for me. That Fox 36 Performance fork is super smooth.

I also have a high-end Haibike that's older, but lighter weight. In comparing the Haibike with the Trance, right away you notice: Higher weight, Lower stack, and longer chainstay and wheelbase on the Trance. This results in a bike that should feel a bit low in the front when descending, and ponderous on tight switchbacks, but it doesn't really work out that way. The Trance does definitely climb better. Everyone who has ridden both bikes prefers the Trance, but I like them both about equally.

The only reason anyone might not want the Trance is the long chainstays imposed by the Yamaha motor make it tough to lift the front end but I test rode the E+1 pro and really liked it; the rear suspension really keeps that rear wheel stuck to the trail and it’s a great value; you get a much better fork and shock than any comparably priced bike, excluding the mail-order brands.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
The only reason anyone might not want the Trance is the long chainstays imposed by the Yamaha motor make it tough to lift the front end
Doesn't take much to learn how to ride around that. Was out a few weeks ago with a guy on a new one and he was popping wheelies all over the place or manualling anything bigger than a dropped wrapper. Noticed he went up & down steep trails quite well with the geometry working well for him.

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
Doesn't take much to learn how to ride around that. Was out a few weeks ago with a guy on a new one and he was popping wheelies all over the place or manualling anything bigger than a dropped wrapper. Noticed he went up & down steep trails quite well with the geometry working well for him.

Does he give lessons ?.... I can't manual or wheelie my Trance for shit, I still love it though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles