First DIY build - BBS02 dirt jump bike

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Here we go - my first ebike build...
It was my old dirt jump bike and i've rebuilt it for the wife to use - hence the comfybum saddle and pin.
full

BBS02 750w from the guys at em3ev - highly recommended! Really very good. The motor came in under a week and the battery took about a month
They supplied the motor, battery (14s5p 52v17ah Jumbo shark), eggrider display, Leccie Buzz Bars cranks and 42t bling ring with all the cables, charger and gubbins.
I bought a gearsensor from ebay uk.
Will admit to being a bit nervous about the build, but it was really straightforward. The only tricky bits were getting the battery to fit and secure it - you can see there wasn't much room, and working out the eggrider app which is really good once you get used to it. You can programme pretty much everything on your phone interface including all the pas levels and a road (speed limit, no throttle etc) and offroad turbo nutter mode.
The gearsensor is very cool - pass your gear cable through it and it seamlessly cuts the motor when you change gear. Sort of reminds me of changing gear on a motorbike.
Just done a quick 8 mile test ride on the road and it's exceeded my expectations. The PAS is better than i could have hoped for and there is plenty of grunt there - one of the hills is 12% and it made it a doddle with 2.4" nobbly tyres.
Will temper this with the fact that it's my first ride on an ebike, so no yardstick, but I really enjoyed the experience. Can't really think you'd need more power than this....but Ive got a 1500w cyc stealth coming fro my bike:unsure:?
Couple of other photos below.
Cheers!
full

full

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Sick??
Will you install a bash plate to protect the bbs02?
Gotta shoot some fpv footage of you riding that and share it on the the thread mate??

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Ta very much?
Not sure the wifes going to be adventurous enough to need a bash plate ? but there is a mount under the frame so will have a look at that - thanks for the thought!
Will have a look for some sort of helmet cam...but I'm not as well equipped as you Youtube stars:)

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 31, 2020
UK
Lol, you're to kind.
Seriously, keep this thread updated on pics, tips and vids.
More and more riders are starting to go down the self-built ebike route so it's always good for other members of the forum to see what is possible ??.

Even I'm getting eager to build another ebike using a conversation kit.

Keep up the good work buddy ??

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Ta again.
And you really are very good on youtube!
Will update if there is anything new, but I would say to anyone thinking about having a try at a diy build to have a bash - it's really straightforward if you're half handy with a spanner.
Also, don't be intimidated by the weight of the things - you really won't notice it when you start rolling - and that's coming from a self confessed weightweenie.

Marjoriefinnegan

Jun 12, 2021
Uk
Ta very much!
About 1k all in, not including bike, but I guess 26ers are only worth about 50pence now?
There was bit of a saving to be made by importing, especially if you're buying the leccie bits. I'm fairly sure em3ev has a uk based support agent if needed too.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles