Firmware updates - dealer operation only?

Joss

Hi,
Just wondered if firmware updates were the exclusive preserve of dealers, or can they be done by a bike's owner? Since I took delivery last Saturday of a Levo with no updates applied (amongst other issues), I wondered if I had to visit a dealer to get this done. I understand there's an argument for leaving it alone with the as-built firmware, I'm just trying to decide on the best course of action.
The nearest branch of the retailer who sold me the bike is a 2.5 hour round trip away. My local dealer want what seems a silly amount of money and whilst the original retailer and Specialized have offered contributions, I don't see why I should be out of pocket. Surely Spesh can fund free firmware updates, especially to newly purchased bikes. It can't take that long to plug it into a laptop.
If it is a dealer operation, I think I'll suffer the drive and have a day out. To be fair, it was my risk to mail order but then I never envisaged such a lack of product support from Specialized, or imagined that the bike wouldn't be delivered in tip-top shape. Naive, I suppose. Guess I've been spoilt by other brands.

I've never had a shorter honeymoon period.

Thanks.
Joss

Troutwrestler

Dec 25, 2018
Scotland
Yep. Requires a laptop download I think, although I'm sure it could be done via mobile & Bluetooth if they wanted end users to have that ability. The problem is, then end users will start writing their own firmware...

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
Hi,
Just wondered if firmware updates were the exclusive preserve of dealers, or can they be done by a bike's owner? Since I took delivery last Saturday of a Levo with no updates applied (amongst other issues), I wondered if I had to visit a dealer to get this done. I understand there's an argument for leaving it alone with the as-built firmware, I'm just trying to decide on the best course of action.
The nearest branch of the retailer who sold me the bike is a 2.5 hour round trip away. My local dealer want what seems a silly amount of money and whilst the original retailer and Specialized have offered contributions, I don't see why I should be out of pocket. Surely Spesh can fund free firmware updates, especially to newly purchased bikes. It can't take that long to plug it into a laptop.
If it is a dealer operation, I think I'll suffer the drive and have a day out. To be fair, it was my risk to mail order but then I never envisaged such a lack of product support from Specialized, or imagined that the bike wouldn't be delivered in tip-top shape. Naive, I suppose. Guess I've been spoilt by other brands.

I've never had a shorter honeymoon period.

Thanks.
Joss

Hi Joss,

Only a Specialized dealer is able to upgrade your bikes firmware via a Specialized dealerportal to which they connect your bike's TCU via a USB cable. Via the portal they upgrade the firmware. To get access to the portal you need a dealer password. So I think you will not have any chance to perform the firmware update yourself.

By the way from page 192 of the dealer manual the process is explained. For the dealer manual see the following thread:
2019 Specialized Turbo Levo FSR Tech Service Retailer Workbook - EMTB Forums

Joss

Hi Joss,

Only a Specialized dealer is able to upgrade your bikes firmware via a Specialized dealerportal to which they connect your bike's TCU via a USB cable. Via the portal they upgrade the firmware. To get access to the portal you need a dealer password. So I think you will not have any chance to perform the firmware update yourself.

By the way from page 192 of the dealer manual the process is explained. For the dealer manual see the following thread:
2019 Specialized Turbo Levo FSR Tech Service Retailer Workbook - EMTB Forums
Thanks for that. Just trying to establish the lay of the land when it comes to ownership of these bikes. If there’s something I can do, I like to know how to do it! This is clearly one off the list.
Cheers.

Joss

i know i might come across as thick but how would one know when new firmware is needed??
That’s a whole other issue!! I just had to post on here and an individual going by “Specialized Rider Care” (I think) confirmed that I wasn’t up to date. Really not sure how else you’d find out, other than consulting with your local dealer. I may well be missing something though.

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
My bike is updated to the latest version, If I had a choice I would first test the bike and see if there is anything that you feel is not working properly, walk assist is one of the features that is supposed to be improved but I can tell you that it is a bit erratic even in the current version. I would much better have the option to use Blevo at its full potential (mange speed limit) than the slight and difficult to feel improvements. If you do upgrade there is no way back and you will be stuck with the speed limit.

randycpu

Nov 15, 2018
Silicon Valley, USA
I upgraded my 2016 Levo to the latest firmware after I installed the 2018 handlebar power mode switch. The new switch required a firmware update.
My LBS store sold me the parts (US$90) and then charged US$40 for the firmware update.
They told me that the hardware required was "several hundred dollars" and that, even at $40 they were losing money on every update.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles