Firmware update changes auto assist mode

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
When I went to use the Ride Control app, I got the message that the bike's (Stance-e) had to be updated. So I went ahead and updated it. Now the auto assist mode is basically unusable on the trail as it gives so much assistance that it is scary and difficult to controll. Prior to the update the auto assist kind of mirrored whatever power level I had selected immediately before switching to the auto setting.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior after updating?

It seems like Giant struggles to get the electronics to work properly.

Cheers.

Oldcrank

Jan 5, 2020
Albuquerque NM
Would you post your Software & Hardware numbers? I just updated my Stance and previously Auto mode was so low it was easier to just select a level. Now it seems very good. So many questions!

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
Would you post your Software & Hardware numbers? I just updated my Stance and previously Auto mode was so low it was easier to just select a level. Now it seems very good. So many questions!
I am the original poster.

Ride Control: Android 1.4.4
Stance-e:
software: 20191231001
Hardware:20190100000

Interesting that even though I just updated, I am showing older software version than OldCrank.

Oldcrank

Jan 5, 2020
Albuquerque NM
I am the original poster.

Ride Control: Android 1.4.4
Stance-e:
software: 20191231001
Hardware:20190100000

Interesting that even though I just updated, I am showing older software version than OldCrank.
Ah! The update to 2020 requires LBS use of PC computer, dongle & software. ?
Your LBS might loan you the software & dongle. It is not hard to do. Good luck. ?

peterk

Jan 11, 2020
Canada
Ah! The update to 2020 requires LBS use of PC computer, dongle & software. ?
Your LBS might loan you the software & dongle. It is not hard to do. Good luck. ?
That explains the version differences. Thanks.

I'm 100 km from my LBS so it may be a while before I get there. I'll just not use auto mode until they run the update. Who knows, maybe Giant will release a user downloadable fix. The way the bike takes off in auto now is wicked on tight technical trails.

I don't understand why Giant has so much trouble with software.

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
give it a little time, they will come right when they throw more devs at it
How much time. It's been over a year with this crap. It wouldn't be so bad if you could opt out the updates but the system forces you to use the latest failware. I'm one of the lucky ones who knows how to get back to the old version so I was able to back date to version 1.4.3 but for a lot of people they are stuck now with an app that no longer connects to the bike. ?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
How much time. It's been over a year with this crap. It wouldn't be so bad if you could opt out the updates but the system forces you to use the latest failware. I'm one of the lucky ones who knows how to get back to the old version so I was able to back date to version 1.4.3 but for a lot of people they are stuck now with an app that no longer connects to the bike. ?
shimano's app tries to make out that you have to update too. Whenever I use the app my phone is off line, except for bluetooth. I'm naturally stubborn and hate being told :ROFLMAO: I found with computers and phones, updates are usually to benefit the data collecting capabilities of g00gle and ms etc.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles