Fire danger from lithium batteries.

Srade3

Jun 12, 2019
Santa Cruz, CA
Lithium batteries have had problems catching fire and burning everything around them up. For example, Tesla cars. It is why airlines take special precaution with them. Has anyone owning an e-bike ever had problems with their battery catching fire?

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Lithium batteries have had problems catching fire and burning everything around them up. For example, Tesla cars. It is why airlines take special precaution with them. Has anyone owning an e-bike ever had problems with their battery catching fire?
Well, ICE cars are catching on fire for decades and people are still driving them... :)
If you use undamaged original ebike batteries with original chargers I don't think you will have a problem. It's not more dangerous than a can of petrol.

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
people have been dying crossing pedestrian crossings for years now, but I'm a thrill seeker and will keep using them. Anybody here ever died on a pedestrian crossing?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Typically batteries will catch fire due to impact damage or overcharging. The batteries come with a fairly smart battery management system to prevent the latter.

There haven't yet been any reported cases of ebike batteries catching fire due to impact damage, I assume (hope) the manufacturers have crash tested them so they shouldn't get penetrated in normal mtb crashes.

The place I think a ebike fire is most likely is from dropping the battery off a ski lift - the resorts in France require you to remove the battery from ebikes and carry it separately. The batteries are probably not tested for dropping from ski lift height onto rock

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

The place I think a ebike fire is most likely is from dropping the battery off a ski lift - the resorts in France require you to remove the battery from ebikes and carry it separately. The batteries are probably not tested for dropping from ski lift height onto rock

What on earth would all the Focus Sam2 and Jam2 owners do?

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
The lithium batteries used in our brand name bikes have slightly different chemistry than the normal LiPo batteries found in phones and RC toys/drones. Our batteries are LiFe4Po which is more stable and the same as the newer lithium batteries used in campers and RV vehicles.

This doesn't mean they can't catch fire but that they are far less likely to do so.

There have been various examples of do it your self kits where the battery has caught fire, most likely due to a bad BMS.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles