Finally did some serious off road riding but I had a shutdown and flashing red light ☹️

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
Did about 13kms (in auto mode) but about 1km before the end of the ride, I lost assistance and saw a flashing red LED in the controller. I was a bit panicked trying to catch up so didn’t see which LED it was and just turned the power off and on again which got me assisted again. This happened a couple of times...

I haven’t had any similar issues in the past but this ride would have stressed the bike more than before and it was also a hot day. Using the app, the diagnostics states there are no problems.

I was going to take the bike in to be checked. Anyone know if these fault events are logged ?

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
My guess would be a battery connection problem, but I'd hate to see that on a 2020. I run my 2019 trance almost exclusively in boost mode, and generally kill the battery in under an hour, lately slugging through deep mud. The only error I've encountered was when the terminals got wet and nasty looking.

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
I just went out again today to see what would happen riding on the road. Same issue after a few hundred metres. Flashing LED 3 indicating speed sensor issue. The app reported a problem with the motor (Red Cross not the blue tick) but nothing more. Back to the LBS tomorrow then. Reinforcement of why I chose to buy local for this new technology.

Oldcrank

Jan 5, 2020
Albuquerque NM
I just went out again today to see what would happen riding on the road. Same issue after a few hundred metres. Flashing LED 3 indicating speed sensor issue. The app reported a problem with the motor (Red Cross not the blue tick) but nothing more. Back to the LBS tomorrow then. Reinforcement of why I chose to buy local for this new technology.

Almashdi

Mar 12, 2019
Ontario
I own a TRANCE E+ SX 1 PRO and had a similar issue. These are the steps that my local dealer went through to get it fixed over a number of shop visit
1 - Adjust the speed sensor
2 - Replace the speed sensor and cable
3 - Adjust the speed sensor by making it closer to the magnet
4 - Replace all the cabling
5 - Finally Giant said to replace the entire mote and since I have no problem.

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
I own a TRANCE E+ SX 1 PRO and had a similar issue. These are the steps that my local dealer went through to get it fixed over a number of shop visit
1 - Adjust the speed sensor
2 - Replace the speed sensor and cable
3 - Adjust the speed sensor by making it closer to the magnet
4 - Replace all the cabling
5 - Finally Giant said to replace the entire mote and since I have no problem.

Was that a 2019 with the spoke sensor or the 2020 with the one in the disc rotor ? Interesting that the 2020 Liv Embolden and Giant Stance etc still use the spoke sensor system which looked a bit old school compared to the way the 2020 Trance/Intrigue have them tucked away.

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
Well, a new sensor didn’t fix it so a new motor Is now on the way. Thankfully a loaner has been arranged which I hope to collect tomorrow.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Ah good, glad your back on the trails mate. ?

These ebikes are a test of our patience all things considered. For the price of them, they should just WORK! My 2020 has broken already. 4 rides and 80 miles in. Madness! ?

Ref the charger cover.... I wonder if they retro fit? ?

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
Ah good, glad your back on the trails mate. ?

These ebikes are a test of our patience all things considered. For the price of them, they should just WORK! My 2020 has broken already. 4 rides and 80 miles in. Madness! ?

Ref the charger cover.... I wonder if they retro fit? ?

Charger cover is a different shape so that’s a no.

Whats wrong with yours ?

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Ride control unit again.
Had 3 of them on my 2019 Model in 6 months and It looks like the 2020 ANT+ unit is no better. Starting to see it as a Giant POS. ?

Last edited:

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
That flashing red light is definitely a sensor issue. This could be the sensor, a misaligned magnet, a faulty plug or wiring and of course it is possible that the issue is inside the motor enclosure. Perhaps it could also be related to the sensors of which the 2020 model has 2 more than the 2019. The dealer will replace the motor rather than try and fix it, which is good from a custometer service perspective but not for reputation. Will have to watch this to see if it becomes a trend. Have you ridden through deep water? Just wondering if there not a bit of corrosion on the connectors due to water ingress.

Softsand

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
That flashing red light is definitely a sensor issue. This could be the sensor, a misaligned magnet, a faulty plug or wiring and of course it is possible that the issue is inside the motor enclosure. Perhaps it could also be related to the sensors of which the 2020 model has 2 more than the 2019. The dealer will replace the motor rather than try and fix it, which is good from a custometer service perspective but not for reputation. Will have to watch this to see if it becomes a trend. Have you ridden through deep water? Just wondering if there not a bit of corrosion on the connectors due to water ingress.

No standing water. Bike hasn’t even ever been washed.

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
No standing water. Bike hasn’t even ever been washed.
Really strange. The wire that goes to the sensor is quite long. When I removed my motor to lubricate the following engine mounts, I noticed that and actually the whole bunch of wires and plugs in there is very crowded. I noticed on of the very thin wires got exposed, probably through pinching. So there is a lot of things that can possibly go wrong there during assembly and servicing. The covers are quite easy to remove and inspect and you could easily also have a plug that want properly inserted and worked itself loose. I like to go over my bikes from front to end and check everything because the truth is I've had many bikes where the pre-delivery service was less than stellar and little things like bad gear adjustment or binding brakes and now with eBikes electronic niggles can make your experience miserable. With that in not saying it's the case with yours, just there are potentially things that could be quickly isolated to make sure it's not a minor issue. Like others mentioned we're having no problems on 2919 Trance-e's even in frequent water crossings.

In the event that is a more serious failure, at least Giant is very good at sorting out the issues. Hope you get sorted very quickly

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
That is strange. I've been waiting for an error on mine, as I been riding almost exclusively in rain and mud. My speed sensor casing is even broken, yet no errors of any kind.
I use pc-board cleaner now and then on my battery and bike connectors when I pick up that it becomes too dirty. Also on the inside of my charging adapter. This is purely precautionary but I like having good clean contacts as a break of contact is certain to stop your bike in its tracks.

We don't do a lot of riding on rain as we have amazing weather but we do a lot of river crossings where the motor gets exposed to water even if only from water splashed up by the wheels. I've opened the covers a couple of times for various reasons and everytime I was surprised to see that water doesn't actually go in there. I would say however that the plug in adapters don't inspire too much confidence and if you are doing a lot of riding in very deep water, I would look at protecting those connections with waterproof sleeves. The motor itself is waterproof unless you force strong streams of water directly onto the seals which would be a problem with all the motors.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I use pc-board cleaner now and then on my battery and bike connectors when I pick up that it becomes too dirty. Also on the inside of my charging adapter. This is purely precautionary but I like having good clean contacts as a break of contact is certain to stop your bike in its tracks.

We don't do a lot of riding on rain as we have amazing weather but we do a lot of river crossings where the motor gets exposed to water even if only from water splashed up by the wheels. I've opened the covers a couple of times for various reasons and everytime I was surprised to see that water doesn't actually go in there. I would say however that the plug in adapters don't inspire too much confidence and if you are doing a lot of riding in very deep water, I would look at protecting those connections with waterproof sleeves. The motor itself is waterproof unless you force strong streams of water directly onto the seals which would be a problem with all the motors.
10-4. I've taped up the connectors and use a battery sock to keep things dry. When I told the dealer my sensor was cracked, they filed a warranty claim and Giant sent the harness instead of the sensor. Lol. Is this anecdotal evidence there is problems with the harnesses? IDK.

I bought the actual sensor myself and kept the harness. I'm still riding with the cracked sensor as my bike has not yet had an error.

Here is a picture of the harness FYI

20200314_092710.jpg

Almashdi

Mar 12, 2019
Ontario
Hello everyone,
I thought I share my new problem with my Giant Trance ebike. I took the bike out for a ride and just after 2KM I noticed that I was pedaling but there was momentum moving forward and the bike was not going any faster. I stooped and noticed the cassette with the chain on would turn when I push the pedals but the tyre would not turn at all.
I am taking it to shop tomorrow and get someone to look at it.
Has anyone come across any issues like this with their ebike?
Al

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Hello everyone,
I thought I share my new problem with my Giant Trance ebike. I took the bike out for a ride and just after 2KM I noticed that I was pedaling but there was momentum moving forward and the bike was not going any faster. I stooped and noticed the cassette with the chain on would turn when I push the pedals but the tyre would not turn at all.
I am taking it to shop tomorrow and get someone to look at it.
Has anyone come across any issues like this with their ebike?
Al
Sounds like your hub has failed, there's other threads about it, warranty claim unless like my 2nd one which was past 12mths so had to get a new hub/wheel.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles