Finally did some serious off road riding but I had a shutdown and flashing red light ☹️

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
Ride
2020 Giant Trance E+
Did about 13kms (in auto mode) but about 1km before the end of the ride, I lost assistance and saw a flashing red LED in the controller. I was a bit panicked trying to catch up so didn’t see which LED it was and just turned the power off and on again which got me assisted again. This happened a couple of times...

I haven’t had any similar issues in the past but this ride would have stressed the bike more than before and it was also a hot day. Using the app, the diagnostics states there are no problems.

I was going to take the bike in to be checked. Anyone know if these fault events are logged ?

MrTeno2U

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Ride
Trance,
Speedfox,
My guess would be a battery connection problem, but I'd hate to see that on a 2020. I run my 2019 trance almost exclusively in boost mode, and generally kill the battery in under an hour, lately slugging through deep mud. The only error I've encountered was when the terminals got wet and nasty looking.

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
Ride
2020 Giant Trance E+
I just went out again today to see what would happen riding on the road. Same issue after a few hundred metres. Flashing LED 3 indicating speed sensor issue. The app reported a problem with the motor (Red Cross not the blue tick) but nothing more. Back to the LBS tomorrow then. Reinforcement of why I chose to buy local for this new technology.

Oldcrank

Jan 5, 2020
Albuquerque NM
Ride
Giant Stance E+2
I just went out again today to see what would happen riding on the road. Same issue after a few hundred metres. Flashing LED 3 indicating speed sensor issue. The app reported a problem with the motor (Red Cross not the blue tick) but nothing more. Back to the LBS tomorrow then. Reinforcement of why I chose to buy local for this new technology.

Mar 12, 2019
Ontario
Ride
N/A
I own a TRANCE E+ SX 1 PRO and had a similar issue. These are the steps that my local dealer went through to get it fixed over a number of shop visit
1 - Adjust the speed sensor
2 - Replace the speed sensor and cable
3 - Adjust the speed sensor by making it closer to the magnet
4 - Replace all the cabling
5 - Finally Giant said to replace the entire mote and since I have no problem.

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
Ride
2020 Giant Trance E+
I own a TRANCE E+ SX 1 PRO and had a similar issue. These are the steps that my local dealer went through to get it fixed over a number of shop visit
1 - Adjust the speed sensor
2 - Replace the speed sensor and cable
3 - Adjust the speed sensor by making it closer to the magnet
4 - Replace all the cabling
5 - Finally Giant said to replace the entire mote and since I have no problem.
Was that a 2019 with the spoke sensor or the 2020 with the one in the disc rotor ? Interesting that the 2020 Liv Embolden and Giant Stance etc still use the spoke sensor system which looked a bit old school compared to the way the 2020 Trance/Intrigue have them tucked away.

Dec 5, 2019
Western Australia
Ride
2020 Giant Trance E+
Well, a new sensor didn’t fix it so a new motor Is now on the way. Thankfully a loaner has been arranged which I hope to collect tomorrow.

Latest threads

Become a Patron!

Trending