Finale ligure - any tips?

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Since I've bought the Levo I've been looking at trips away on the bike. And finale just looks epic!!

Hopefully by September the world might be slightly back to normal. My brother, bro in law and I are looking into a 5-6 day trip (maybe a week inc travel). We are close to the euro tunnel so thinking of throwing the bikes in the truck and making a road trip of it. I'd rather take my own bike tbh and also can pack what you like that way in tools, spares & kit....

So who's been?

Any recommendations on accommodation?

Is it worth getting guides? Or just exploring?

Best times to go? Thinking sept as a bit cooler but before weather turns?

Any must do's? Avoids or things to know??

Cheers.

Jimbo

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
No advice to give ..apart from enjoy yourself ..
I'm liking the positivity that things might be near to normal then ..our little group are tentatively looking towards a Cairngorms trip probably around the same time..fingers crossed it all works out ..

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Are you planning to climb to the top by bike, or shuttle up?
I’m guessing with the e bikes people can do either? I’ve seen self shuttling, there’s obv loads up uplift available.

I’ve also seen they have added some up hill e bike trails ??

Not sure what’s best really, as all the e bike vids I’ve seen are more about the place and down hill.

And the website info is aimed at normal bikes naturally.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
No advice to give ..apart from enjoy yourself ..
I'm liking the positivity that things might be near to normal then ..our little group are tentatively looking towards a Cairngorms trip probably around the same time..fingers crossed it all works out ..

Yeah fingers crossed. Got to stay optimistic mate ??

I’m hoping to get a few little trips away if things calm down.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Finale is brilliant.

We went a couple of years ago, you'll probably need a guide for a few days at least, we used these guys for guiding and uplift. it was 50 euro per person per day:-

Finale Freeride (finaleligurefreeride.com)

They also have accomodation,but its a couple of miles out of town. We just booked an airbnb in the town, the town has a lot going on, bars, restaurants etc, its all very bike friendly, all the bars/restaurants have bike stands outside etc.

I would say that if you're going to be getting an uplift you probably dont want to be on your ebike, best to take a normal bike. If I was going back I'd just take my normal bike again and book uplifts.

edit : just seen on their website that they now say they have moved back into the town.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I’d definitely get a guide to help you find the best stuff and save you all the stress / hassle of getting lost and wasting time!

I can absolutely recommend Lorenzo from MTB Finale. He literally made the map:

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Finale is brilliant.

We went a couple of years ago, you'll probably need a guide for a few days at least, we used these guys for guiding and uplift. it was 50 euro per person per day:-

Finale Freeride (finaleligurefreeride.com)

They also have accomodation,but its a couple of miles out of town. We just booked an airbnb in the town, the town has a lot going on, bars, restaurants etc, its all very bike friendly, all the bars/restaurants have bike stands outside etc.

I would say that if you're going to be getting an uplift you probably dont want to be on your ebike, best to take a normal bike. If I was going back I'd just take my normal bike again and book uplifts.

edit : just seen on their website that they now say they have moved back into the town.

Thanks! i've checked out a few air bnb and look fine, just wondered if anyone had stayed in a more mtb focused place with storage etc?

I don't have a normal bike so id prob stick with the e bike (might hire a bike for a day with uplifts for a day if i feel like it) and mix it up with self shuttle and uplift it it meant that you get to the best areas. But i'm guessing most areas are accessible on the eeb?

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I’d definitely get a guide to help you find the best stuff and save you all the stress / hassle of getting lost and wasting time!

I can absolutely recommend Lorenzo from MTB Finale. He literally made the map:

Thanks mate, i saw the vid with Lorenzo! looked a top fella. I'll check out the links cheers. (y)

Karlkarl

May 7, 2019
Italy
September is great. Usually cooler but still warm weather. Much less crowded than in August (after 10 September being even better as kids are back to school - Finale area is a very popular destination for summer family holidays).

A local guide is useful especially if you are interested in less popular / known trails. Otherwise it’s plenty of shuttles for carrying you around (although most trails can be reached by ebike, finale trail area is huge) and advising on trail conditions.

Best known trails such as rollercoaster, ingegnere, madre natura, base nato down, crestino etc. are must do’s IMO. You can find all gpx on trailforks.

Albeit more xc than enduro, 24h is a great trail with wonderful views (you'll find the gpx in the 24h website). Also a great starting point for more gravity oriented and challenging natural trails (DH donne and DH man).

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Thanks! i've checked out a few air bnb and look fine, just wondered if anyone had stayed in a more mtb focused place with storage etc?

I don't have a normal bike so id prob stick with the e bike (might hire a bike for a day with uplifts for a day if i feel like it) and mix it up with self shuttle and uplift it it meant that you get to the best areas. But i'm guessing most areas are accessible on the eeb?
This was the place we rented through airbnb, its vast, so plenty of space for bikes. a bit basic, but right in the middle of town, and a very interesting building

To the sea in an ancient building Bicycles garage - Flats for Rent in Finale Ligure, Liguria, Italy (airbnb.co.uk)

Theres a garage in the basement where you can store bikes, but we just kept them in the apartment

CBSTD

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2020
thoK0north
Pietra Ligure is also supposed to be excellent just along the coast, Im sure they have a charging facility’s outside cafes.one of the few EWS was held there last year. Do you need some one to carry the bags asking for a friend .....honest???

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
I’ve been many times using two different shuttle companies and guides with normal bike and also explored the area with emtb. Imo if you are not familiar with the area hire a guide. I would also use shuttle to get you up to base nato even when using emtb. Otherwise you just waste time and most of the battery getting lost or climbing from valley to another connecting trail heads together. Proper guide will create a loop where you get most out of it and also helps you to find right trails for your skill level. Guides and shuttles there are very affortable. I would also stay in Finale Borgho renting apartment close to old town. Shuttles starts there, most bike shops are there and dining is better.

MTB Beds

Apr 2, 2021
Morzine
Hi, we offer tours in Finale Ligure & Molini. E-Bike specific tours in Molini and custom E-Bike packages in Finale Ligure. We've been operating there since 2016 and know the area very well.

We welcome E-Bikes on our Riders Weeks tours that we personally run, though you'll be sharing with non-E-Bikers. If you're after an uplift company and you're not staying with us, go with Ride On Noli, they run E-Bike tours aswell and know the area better than anyone.

We have an apartment on the beach specifically for groups who want the exclusive use of a 4x4 to get far into the backcountry, suitable for up to 7. Our other location is a villa sleeping up to 14, 20 metres from the beach.

If you are staying in one of our accommodations we also include battery rental for Specialized bikes.

Any questions drop us an email be happy to help! Cheers, Ben