Feeling overbiked on a longer travel eMTB?

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Just a point on the rating for various trails...……..I see very little consistency. Certainly if to negotiate a trail at all you have to be capable of jumping big gaps, or tackling near vertical descents etc it certainly warrants an expert only ( black diamond..whatever), and family friendly trails ( Green) are pretty consistent. But blue/red etc......well you have to ride them to see, and that also applies to trails rated as Black very often. How difficult a trail is often only depends on how hard or how fast you hit it.
I also do not understand why anyone only riding bike parks or downhill trails in trail centres would use a E-MTB...…..there is no real benefit to justify the additional cost and additional weight.
For me at least an E MTB wins the day if you do a mix of riding...…….natural trails, adventure rides etc. That essentially means ( for me) the best E MTB is a trail/all mountain bike.[/QUO

It depends on the bike park. Some here in the UK are not really geared up for uplifts and those that are can be quite expensive.

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
FWIW I have a Merida E120 & I feel over biked a lot, I think it comes down to what you actually do, sure 170mm travel will be more forgiving/ faster on some big trails but if you don’t do big trails then what’s the point?
I ride mainly from my door, sure I could do it on a hard tail but it kills my back so I chose a FS, the shortest travel I could find.
I get that the return of energy vs output is diminished on an Ebike so why not get big, but I’m also happy that my 900e “only” cost me £3200 which is a stupid amount for a bicycle ?
Happy trails in whatever you choose ?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I actually think Whyte might have created the perfect EMTB for UK trail with the new E150 - I say that as an E-Sommett owner. The E-Sommett is definitely over suspended for most of my riding in the Surrey Hills, its an amazing bike, but at its best when going full tilt boogie down gnarly trails, when things get a bit more technical, its still great, but if find myself wanting something a little bit more fling able from time to time.

Far more important on an EMTB than total travel, is weight distribution - one of the reasons the E-Sommett gets such good reviews, is that the weight is distributed nice and low down, and the relatively long and low BB geometry on it (though a lot of the new 2020 bikes have similar geometry) also means the mass is further back towards the BB.

I like the way that on the Whyte they have angled the motor, allowing them to get the battery super low. I know 3 people who have ridden it, who love it, 2 of whom are coming off 2019 Levo's as their regular rides.

The motor is angled in the Levo so nothing new there.

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
Hi mate
I bought the VR in may and couldn't be happier. I thought long and hard on choice between the VR and Levo. (I have a 2014 stump jumper evo)
My riding is probably more xcountry than anything else but with the VR its given me confidence to tackle much more difficult routes. I can't jump, cant bunnyhop, cant manual but I have some great fun on the bike.
The 170mm travel is not 'overbiked' whatever that is.
Some of the routes I have tackled on it in the brecon beacons are classed as black routes but the bike gave me the confidence to have a go.
Bang for buck you would not be disappointed.
Just follow the advice on the vitus section with regards to adjustments to prevent failure.

Now that may or may not be the best advice here, but it's deffo what I really wanted to hear!

Most of my miles are XC, but I want to be confident to throw it down a gnarly hill.

Another inch to closer to the E-Sommet ...

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
The E-Sommett is definitely over suspended for most of my riding in the Surrey Hills, its an amazing bike, but at its best when going full tilt boogie down gnarly trails, when things get a bit more technical, its still great, but if find myself wanting something a little bit more fling able from time to time.

Gah - and another step backwards! I'm on the crossover between M/L for most bikes, inc. Vitus, so - if I do opt for the E-Sommet - I was planning on sizing down to make it more flingable.

Far more important on an EMTB than total travel, is weight distribution - one of the reasons the E-Sommett gets such good reviews

That's part of the reason why I'm keen on the E-Sommet - and a little wary of intergrated batteries that tend to sit higher. But I'm going to have a bit more of a look at the Whyte E150 you mentioned.

Vitus should really do the decent thing and announce the E-Escarpe for 2020 in the coming days. In both 27 & 29. Sod it, while I'm requesting the impossible, perhaps a wheel-size model too!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Gah - and another step backwards! I'm on the crossover between M/L for most bikes, inc. Vitus, so - if I do opt for the E-Sommet - I was planning on sizing down to make it more flingable.

How tall are you?

The Esommet is lighter than most shorter travel FS Emtbs
If you feel overbiked on an Esommet go faster.

Billywhizz

Jun 24, 2019
TS147LN
Weather your on a manual or an E bike, a shorter travel bike is always going to climb better with a steeper head and seat angles. You say you have limited skills therefore imo, you can think 2 ways, the 170 travel bike may look fun but if your not skilled enough to use that travel then why loose the climbing efficiency of a 130 or 140 bike.or you can think yes I am loosiing effincency but the slack angles of a 170 is like,a get out of jail card when getting in to trouble and may make you a better decanter. The choice is yours. The new Focus Thron at 130 back 140 front would be my choice on what you have said, Happy e biking.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Weather your on a manual or an E bike, a shorter travel bike is always going to climb better with a steeper head and seat angles. You say you have limited skills therefore imo, you can think 2 ways, the 170 travel bike may look fun but if your not skilled enough to use that travel then why loose the climbing efficiency of a 130 or 140 bike.or you can think yes I am loosiing effincency but the slack angles of a 170 is like,a get out of jail card when getting in to trouble and may make you a better decanter. The choice is yours. The new Focus Thron at 130 back 140 front would be my choice on what you have said, Happy e biking.
I don't think I would notice any inefficiency climbing on an e bike regardless of suspension travel and head angles

Al

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
I've been down the same route .. but she's seen it makes me happy (bruised and broken often, but still happy).... I've tip toed down the e-bike route and the Kenevo will be e-bike no.3 this year as I've continued to convince myself that the less capable/cheaper option will suffice for my needs and desires .... I was going for a 140/150mm bike, but the Kenevo on offer was cheaper.

Choosing the right bike is always going to be difficult and consist of endless compromises and doubt. I'm sure I'll be ecstatic whenever I'm riding it and that's what matters. I'm equally sure I'd have been ecstatic on the 140/150mm Thok -which was the bike of my dreams. In my mind the longer travel and bulkier compromises of a longer travel bike are significantly reduced on an e-bike. I'm not saying there won't still be compromises, but then there will be different compromises with a shorter travel bike.

Just been informed it's "SHIPPED" .. so the joy continues .. :)

Which model Kenevo did you for and how much?

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
I don't think I would notice any inefficiency climbing on an e bike regardless of suspension travel and head angles

Al
Not compared to a normal bike you wouldn't but you would is you were comparing ebikes, I got more miles out of my HT compared to my 120mm Fs on the same Shimano battery & motor, all suspension is relatively inefficient on a flat road but becomes more efficient over rough ground compared to the amount of energy the rider expels.
It works the same as normal bikes but the effect on the rider is less with assistance.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
The thing is to nail a nail on the head we use a hammer.
Buy a 170mm it will be less fun, less challenging.
You will have to go fast so your mistake = injured.
You need 120 you buy 120.
You need 140 you buy 140.
I spent time on 100 mm having fun.
Now i spend time on 120 mm having fun.
I felt, did OTB sill no real injurie, small stuff but
no down time.
Do you want to think you are an expert?
Do you like to ride as often as possibe?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I also do not understand why anyone only riding bike parks or downhill trails in trail centres would use a E-MTB...…..there is no real benefit to justify the additional cost and additional weight.
I would agree except for those that need help with dodgy knees, or some other problem. In my case I have been liberated!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Wow! There's an incredible amount of pish being typed in this thread.

You're not usually one for understatement - but there we have it !

no down time.

Sorry, but that's just complete bollox and is purely your view of the world depending on where you are with your experience on that day as is the same with everysingle one of your posts. You needed 100 so you bought 100, but now need 120. So you could have saved money and time and bought a 120 in the first place ?
170 is less fun ?? I've had one ride one my 180 and it was obscene fun ! OBSCENE ! So much fun the fun police would make it illegal if they knew- I didn't fall off once and went faster than ever before.
I've had two 120mm emtb hardtails since xmas .. broken rib one time. fractured pelvis another and severe concussion (yes, helmet) and numerous other injuries. buying a bike with no suspension does not mean you won't get injured. Stop talking complete crap which confuses people.

Which model Kenevo did you for and how much?

Edwardo, sorry for the rant .. red gets under your skin in the end with you MUST Buy a YAMAHA (because I've got a yamaha) .. you must buy a Haibike .. (because I've got a haibike) .. bla bla .. you must have a hardtail (because I have a hardtail) ..

Kenevo Expert .. On the day a very good price £3800 - It's gone up a bit now.

Vélo Specialized Turbo Kenevo Expert 2019 LordGun online bike store

If you read the last few pages on the official Kenevo thread someone found a black one for about 4.5k I think.

Last edited:

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
no down time.
Hitting a nail with a nail...... that was the most useful statement in above. :ROFLMAO:

Karsten

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
no down time.

I rode a few trails I normally ride on my 130mm travel e bike on a 170mm travel e bike. It felt easier and less effort i.e. more fun

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I rode a few trails I normally ride on my 130mm travel e bike on a 170mm travel e bike. It felt easier and less effort i.e. more fun
If you know what you like hopefully you can afford it and get it.
But telling everyone they should ride them makes no sense.
My 120 is fun in expert trails. I am not planning to do double black.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
If you know what you like hopefully you can afford it and get it.
But telling everyone they should ride them makes no sense.
My 120 is fun in expert trails. I am not planning to do double black.
Do you have a GOPRO, I would LOVE to see how you ride your “expert” trails with your 13 Psi tire pressure.....?

Karsten

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Do you have a GOPRO, I would LOVE to see how you ride your “expert” trails with your 13 Psi tire pressure.....?

Karsten
I am not a star, no camera, no selfie. Maybe you missed my Ebike has 27.5x40mm rims. Front i have a 3.0, rear 2.8. I often pedal 11kms to the trails, play there and pedal back. That is why i bought my first Ebike. Last winter on my 4.8 tires i was generaly 4-6 PSI on 90 mm rims. When my bike was new it looked like that
https://winora-group.com/manuals/2017/specs/HAI_sduro_specs/HAI_SDURO_hardseven_60.pdf

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I am not a star, no camera, no selfie. Maybe you missed my Ebike has 27.5x40mm rims. Front i have a 3.0, rear 2.8. I often pedal 11kms to the trails, play there and pedal back. That is why i bought my first Ebike. Last winter on my 4.8 tires i was generaly 4-6 PSI on 90 mm rims. When my bike was new it looked like that
https://winora-group.com/manuals/2017/specs/HAI_sduro_specs/HAI_SDURO_hardseven_60.pdf
If no pic or video it did not happen!

Btw why do you mention your rim width up against front fork travel and why are you suddenly mixing your fatbike into this discussion?

Ohh I know now, marijuana is legal in Canada......:ROFLMAO:

Karsten

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
If no pic or video it did not happen!

Btw why do you mention your rim width up against front fork travel and why are you suddenly mixing your fatbike into this discussion?

Ohh I know now, marijuana is legal in Canada......:ROFLMAO:

Karsten
It seems you do not understand tires with more volume use less PSI, like on road bikes many are around 90 PSI.
So you decided to kill our older ancesters, not nice.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It seems you do not understand tires with more volume use less PSI, like on road bikes many are around 90 PSI.

WTF !

The weed smoking fits... But so does a troll bot. Or a Trump tweet bot. You don't write tweets for him do you ?

Insane.. you've surpassed yourself with that one.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I’m a Viking so rape and plunder is my nick name..... :ROFLMAO:

Seriously please for gods sake, keep quiet about stuff you obviously don’t have a clue about - go out and ride your bike and have fun!

Karsten

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
In this thread we are talking about suspension travel and....... Irony and Sarcasm can also be fitted in between :ROFLMAO:

If you only have 100mm there's not much space for irony and sarcasm ..

Though I'm truly lost still on how 100mm suspension will mean you will have less accidents than 170mm ??

Does this apply to wheels ? 24" wheels means less accidents than 29" wheels ?

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
If you only have 100mm there's not much space for irony and sarcasm ..

Though I'm truly lost still on how 100mm suspension will mean you will have less accidents than 170mm ??

Does this apply to wheels ? 24" wheels means less accidents than 29" wheels ?
If no wheels at all that could reduce accidents dramatically :ROFLMAO:

Karsten

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles