Feature request/idea: 2019 Levo Smaller Battery Form Factor

jeffintheusa

Dec 12, 2018
MA - North Shore
I imagine Specialized have thought of this. Two ideas:

1) Design a battery that separates into 2 pieces of approximately equal length. This is to reduce it's total length for easier packing/storage. This would allow you to easily carry a spare in your backpack.
2) Make a 1/2 or 3/4 length battery with the corresponding reduction in capacity so that it easily fits in a backpack. On long rides you can carry this as your reserve capacity instead of carrying a full size/capacity battery. It would be great for someone with a 500Wh battery to have an extra 250/300/350Wh battery for emergency. Even better if you have a 700Wh and a reserve "shorty" battery in your backpack! All day riding on trail mode!

As stated by @Maastricht in a reply you need #1 in order for #2 to be possible, because you would need the larger capacity battery to collapse in order to fit it into your backpack after removal. :)

@Specialized Rider Care

Last edited:

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
I like your first idea very much!

The second idea isn't feasible from my point of view as I guess when you would swap the spare 1/2 or 3/4 length battery during a ride where would you leave the original full length battery then? You will still need to carry the long battery on your way home.

jeffintheusa

Dec 12, 2018
MA - North Shore
I like your first idea very much!

The second idea isn't feasible from my point of view as I guess when you would swap the spare 1/2 or 3/4 length battery during a ride where would you leave the original full length battery then? You will still need to carry the long battery on your way home.
Excellent point! Yes you'd need a collapsible battery in the down tube for a second "shorty" battery to work. :oops:

Kristian

Oct 6, 2020
Fairfax, CA
Great idea!
I often do a short evening ride on a 11-mile loop (Tamarancho) - I use about 25-30% of the battery. If the battery is 8.5 lbs, I could see a 3-pound battery would get me around and put the bike closer to 40 lbs. That might make bunny hops and lifts a tiny bit easier. Making the bike a little more dune buggy than SUV. 250Wh - I'd buy one. I'd use the bigger battery on the 20+ mile Pine Mountain loop.

@Specialized Rider Care

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles