Fazua Trial

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Hi All.

I really like the idea of the Fazua driveline. In Australia, it seems the only eMTB option is the eZesty. It's dear as poison and almost as rare as rocking horse poo. I won't be able to try it before buying.

But my local-ish Trek store is very likely to have a Fazua powered Domane LT+. I'm going to call in to see if they will let me demo one for a few days. I'll have to lie a bit that I want to make a move to an electric assist road bike ;)

My question to Fazua eMTB owners - would this give me a reasonable feel for the Fazua drive? Realistically, it's going to be the only way to get a leg over one.

Good advice appreciated.

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
I tried a similar approach and tested a Fazua equipt road bike, it was terrible! Road bikes are so light and fast you are at the motor cut-off immediately, on a climb I couldn’t feel the motor doing anything… the assistance was so subtle, but I am use to a Bosch performance Cx.
I asked the shop if the motor had the latest Black Pepper (?) update and they said it made the bike to squirrely in the corners… 🤦‍♂️

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Hi All.

I really like the idea of the Fazua driveline. In Australia, it seems the only eMTB option is the eZesty.

Good advice appreciated.
Don’t be put off in your quest, the EZesty is a pretty cool Mtb with just an added bit of ooomph. A serious FF EMtb it’s not, but then Lapierre have a whole range of those to pick from at very good prices.

Do think though of it as a full all Carbon well designed Mtb that’s on the heavy side on one hand and on the other, also a Jack of All Trades. I use mine in all sorts of disciplines that my FF EMtb never seems comfortable with, analogue ( just take the motor and battery out and there’s almost no extra drag ), riding with fitter and younger analogue riders ( just add a tiny bit of oomph ), ride with other EMtbs on single track that you want a bit of a fitness aspect to the ride ( you may need to carry a spare battery if you intend more than a couple hours and lots of climbs ) , go ride with the gravel bike boys ( a low power setting is enough to make up the weight ) and what ever else you can think of.

With the latest firmware and Apps it’s almost infinite in the ability to set the power and ramp ups to suit what ever discipline you are doing, the App will update on the go if you think your settings are not quite right for the group or the amount of energy you want to put in.

I have to say that the bike likes to go fast and that means you are almost instantly hitting the speed cut out, it is very subtle and almost not noticeable until your heart rate and energy levels suddenly go up and down faster than expected. I’m fortunate that I have both a 25kph version and a 32kph ( look up EPlus, it’s very effective) and the bike is like chalk and cheese with the two variants, the bike just simply comes alive with the 32kph motor fitted, with the 25kph version you really are in that twilight no advantage over a lightweight Mtb if you are riding flatter terrain. One warning though, everything is logged and recorded in the motor unit including max speed and max assisted speed, even with firmware hacks FAZUA will see that you have reset the max speed even if putting the firmware back to standard.

If you want an EMtb to simply go as fast as you can to the top and then plunge down the downhills then go buy a FF, if you want a fun zippy hybrid with a workout ethic, then it’s a pretty good bit of kit for the price.

Last edited:

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I tried a similar approach and tested a Fazua equipt road bike, it was terrible! Road bikes are so light and fast you are at the motor cut-off immediately, on a climb I couldn’t feel the motor doing anything… the assistance was so subtle, but I am use to a Bosch performance Cx.
I asked the shop if the motor had the latest Black Pepper (?) update and they said it made the bike to squirrely in the corners… 🤦‍♂️
The shop was wrong. 2.0 is much better on the road and trail. It's insanely customisable and you can load different profiles from your phone.

I have two Fazua bikes. An eZesty and a Cairn 01.

Gordon

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
Fazua have introduced a new model 60 which has only the battery as removable. Does anyone know if the 50 will be discontinued?

I had a quick spin on a Zesty on boost felt less powerful than my SL on boost but didn’t ride very far. Fazua felt smooth and the motor and battery was easily removed. I have met two Zesty owners and both were happy.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Fazua have introduced a new model 60 which has only the battery as removable. Does anyone know if the 50 will be discontinued?

I had a quick spin on a Zesty on boost felt less powerful than my SL on boost but didn’t ride very far. Fazua felt smooth and the motor and battery was easily removed. I have met two Zesty owners and both were happy.
Stock settings, it's about the same. You can push the Fazua motor harder than the SL but obviously battery life will suffer. And it's a smaller battery. I have three batteries so I have the thing turned up.

Fazua have just introduced an upgraded version of the ride 50. It's not even widely available yet so I think they'll have both for at least a while.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles