FastRoad E+ EX Pro Weight

Gee_Whiz

Feb 19, 2022
DC,US
Does anyone know if the 44lb/20kg advertised weight is accurate? If so, is this bike somewhat easy to peddle on flats without assist?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Even if it was. 44lb/20KG is still heavy AF compared to a normal bike.
BUT...
Even 25kg+ bikes aren't very difficult to pedal along the flat without assistance so long as they don't have high rolling resistance tyres fitted.
Any extra weight means accelerations will be slower and harder work and hills more difficult requiring lower gearing and a slower pace.

Last edited:

Justinitus

Feb 15, 2022
Wiltshire UK
The Giant website gives a list of dealers with stock, give one a ring and ask them to weigh one in your size. I think that’s the only surefire way - unless someone has one on here they could weigh.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Does anyone know if the 44lb/20kg advertised weight is accurate? If so, is this bike somewhat easy to peddle on flats without assist?

What do you want it for? Seems like a town bike or similar.

If you want something lighter you could also have a look at the Cairn 01 e-Gravel bike which is 15-16kg. Available in drop and flat bar versions with many many mounting points for *stuff* I have the Cairn and it rides extremely well above the limiter. The Fazua motor has less resistance than pretty much any other motor system.

Gordon

Gee_Whiz

Feb 19, 2022
DC,US
What do you want it for? Seems like a town bike or similar.

If you want something lighter you could also have a look at the Cairn 01 e-Gravel bike which is 15-16kg. Available in drop and flat bar versions with many many mounting points for *stuff* I have the Cairn and it rides extremely well above the limiter. The Fazua motor has less resistance than pretty much any other motor system.

Gordon

Yup, town bike/commuting. I'm researching to see if there are 40lb or lighter options with rack and fenders for city commutes. The Fast E seems solid, along with the Revolt and the Neo topstone 5 from Cannondale. Ill check out the Cairn as well, TY!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I do get that you 'd rather not be riding a tank
but...
The main advantages of a lighter bike is more nimble handling, slightly better acceleration and better climbing performance.
A full power motor will negate the latter
But the handling of any bike is pretty much ruined when laden with luggage.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Whyte do a couple of city commuters with full power motors, mudguards and carriers that aren't stupidly heavy

Gee_Whiz

Feb 19, 2022
DC,US
I do get that you 'd rather not be riding a tank
but...
The main advantages of a lighter bike is more nimble handling, slightly better acceleration and better climbing performance.
A full power motor will negate the latter
But the handling of any bike is pretty much ruined when laden with luggage.

Ah now this makes sense; I do think Carbon bikes may not be the right application for this scenario. Ive seen some people convert Trek Domanes to Commuters and have had some recurrent issues.. perhaps due to the excess weight. appreciate the insights

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have a couple of sub 18lb normal bikes (a race BMX and a Carbon roadbike) a 25lb hardtail a 30lb carbon FS enduro mtb, 35lb DH bikes and a 47lb FS Emtb
The difference in handling between them from lightest to heaviest is phenominal
but if I were to stick 12lb of luggage on the 18lb roadbike it would handle far worse than the 30lb FS does

Converting a lightweight roadbike is a pretty dumb idea. Especially an older bike. ignoring the rider weight, the frame structure was never designed for carrying loads of more than a couple of waterbottles.

Gee_Whiz

Feb 19, 2022
DC,US
I have a couple of sub 18lb normal bikes (a race BMX and a Carbon roadbike) a 25lb hardtail a 30lb carbon FS enduro mtb, 35lb DH bikes and a 47lb FS Emtb
The difference in handling between them from lightest to heaviest is phenominal
but if I were to stick 12lb of luggage on the 18lb roadbike it would handle far worse than the 30lb FS does

Converting a lightweight roadbike is a pretty dumb idea. Especially an older bike. ignoring the rider weight, the frame structure was never designed for carrying loads of more than a couple of waterbottles.

This makes sense and is probably why mid tier hybrid models exist.. ill do weight max comparisons

StephenH

May 15, 2022
Springville, Tennessee USA
Hello Gee-Whiz. My Giant FastRoad E+ EX Pro 28MPH weighs 60 lbs (27.2kg) with front & rear racks and an Ortlieb bag filled with my usual traveling kit. I have had to pedal without power a few times due to a loss of power issue (will discuss in another post). It takes extra effort compared with a standard bike but is ok for short distances.

Gee_Whiz

Feb 19, 2022
DC,US
Hello Gee-Whiz. My Giant FastRoad E+ EX Pro 28MPH weighs 60 lbs (27.2kg) with front & rear racks and an Ortlieb bag filled with my usual traveling kit. I have had to pedal without power a few times due to a loss of power issue (will discuss in another post). It takes extra effort compared with a standard bike but is ok for short distances.

Thanks! I did pickup one to try and they feel much lighter than comparable commuter bikes somehow.. Giant did a wonderful job with these machines

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles