• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

fastest bestest deristrictor

daju

Apr 21, 2019
manchester by the sea, ma
I have a Planet 3 deristrictor and I love the engineering, but I am only getting an extra few kph top speed. Could I go faster with the Levociraptor system?

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Check ur speedo . It shouldn't be too hard to get assist on the flat up to 30kmh. On downhill up to 40km . But I find I can't go any faster than that . With the massive mud tyres/ body position huge bike and my fat ass . I remember when I installed levociraptor I had issues and it wasn't working properly.. once I got it working it wasn't a massive difference. At first then I noticed it was on long slight decents thats when you can peddle up to around 30kmh and is super fun . So get out there get up of the seat and go hard . Its fun . And you will notice the difference

Last edited:

Grizzy

Mar 10, 2020
TX
I’m new to this; I have an SL, so max assist is 240 watts and 35nm.

So let’s say I can put out 1000 watts for a bit. Would that mean my SL would
Match the 1000 - or would it only be able to go to 1240 (and the reg turbo to 1540)?

I’m uncertain what peak watts is on the SL.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I have a Planet 3 deristrictor and I love the engineering, but I am only getting an extra few kph top speed. Could I go faster with the Levociraptor system?
How many planet magnets do you have in it ?
2 = 1 1/2 x 16mph
1 = 3 x 16mph
My guess is you have 2 , take 1 out ?

daju

Apr 21, 2019
lan.png

daju

Apr 21, 2019
My deristrictor actually is the LSS designed by JD---up to just now I couldn't find it or remember the name, so I asked about planet 3---which seems to my non engineer brain a copy, an expensive one at that.
I don't remember an extension speed sensor

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Same principle but different design , your wheels could be bigger/smaller so won’t feel the same ! Ask LSS he’s on here !

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Really , clean but not simple ! There’s pages of issues on here with them where as not one problem with the planet 3 and a lot cheaper !

Grizzy

Mar 10, 2020
TX
Just an FYI: p3 won’t work w/ king hubs. Bummer. So steroids & epo or new wheels - or live w/ 20mph....

FloridaDan

Nov 8, 2019
Florida
I know you are talking Specialized, but I recently pedaled my Haibike FullSeven LT 9.0 to 30.5MPH on flat pavement with a Bikespeed RS chip installed. I never go faster than 18MPH in the dirt, but for the street it's great to cruise at 21-24MPH. It's a great product, seamless with accurate speed, if you have a motor that works with it.

Hootch280

Jul 12, 2020
Ringwood Hants
I had a '17 Full fat Levo for 3 years and back in those days you could use SW to change the code for the wheel diameter - from 2200mm ( roughly ) for a 27.5 with a 6Fattie tyre - of course all those hacks have now been blocked. So now I have a Levo SL and had already change the front chainring from 30 to 34 tooth so I ride more in the mid to high range of the rear cassette instead of the last 3 high gears, but I was intrigued to see what removing the top speed limit would give.

Knowing that this of course gives no more power regardless of motor wattage just means the motor keeps giving beyond the speed restriction imposed depending on the region you live in - Europe 15mph or 25Kmph. So Polini do one for the Levo SL the Hi Speed for E- bike at 100€ Neat unit, fits in the lower bracket alongside the motor - easy enough to install, so that was the choice.

Arrived in 3 days and stuck it in. Sure you peddle and you cruise right through the limit to 22 /24 MPH and the motor is still assisting. For a speed reading you need to use something other than the bike app. Its shows just under half actual speed and the distant is under half actual as well - as you might expect. So to check this I had to refit my Garmin Speed and Cadence sensors to the bike to get some true readings.

I ran it for a few days riding some of my well used trails and routes and compared data to find that, very rarely did I exceed the original limit of the bike - 15MPH - except on the road getting to my off road sites and only really when going down hill when is not hampered by the restriction anyway and changing the chainring was all I really benefitted from - so out it came and back in the box. Certainly for me, my riding and the fact the SL has nowhere near the brick wall feeing when you reach the speed limit that the Full Fat Levo has. It was a experiment but not one that paid any dividends - in fact cost 100€ but that's OK. If anyone wants to try one - I have one!

Hope this helps for anyone thinking about fitting any of the options out there - think about how you use the bike before you spend the money on any of them

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I’m new to this; I have an SL, so max assist is 240 watts and 35nm.

So let’s say I can put out 1000 watts for a bit. Would that mean my SL would
Match the 1000 - or would it only be able to go to 1240 (and the reg turbo to 1540)?

I’m uncertain what peak watts is on the SL.

High Rock Ruti

If you could generate a 1000 watts ever you wouldn't need an E Bike

Warm Regards

Ruti

Alex @ PLANET3.bike

Jun 18, 2019
Zagreb
so I asked about planet 3---which seems to my non engineer brain a copy, an expensive one at that.
I don't remember an extension speed sensor

I can't really follow the logic that arrives at this conclusion. PLANET3 is actually the same price, isn't a copy (no matter what others would like to believe), has double the ratio, comes with everything needed for it to work, is covered by a 1 year or 10k miles warranty and is shipped via DHL Express in the price of the product. I won't even go into the details on why it would be idiotic to have the ring gear rotate instead of being stationary and sealing the whole system. Or why someone would use a "graphic designer's interpretation of a tooth profile" instead of the real thing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles