eZesty version of the Turbo Levo

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
With the Lapierre eZesty getting a lot of praise for its light weight and light-handed approach to an eMTB, I think Specialized should answer this with a new model of the Turbo Levo. It could be called the Turbo Levo Pure or maybe the Turbo Levo Air. The idea would be to match the eZesty weight and price point thus giving a similar riding experience. This should be easier due to the fact that the eZesty is coming in a little heavier than they initially said, with the eZesty AM LTD weight of 18.4 kg.

Using the specs here, the eZesty comes in at around $8,800. So, the Turbo Levo Air would basically be a Turbo Levo Expert ($8,250 and 20.6kg w/ 500wh battery) with the following changes:

1) 250 Wh battery - saves $300 (-0.9 kg)
2) 2.4" tires with lighter wheels/rims (-0.3 kg)
3) Spend the $850 price difference on higher spec, lighter components (-0.5kg)

With these changes the Turbo Levo Air would be around 18.9kg and the same price as the Zesty. If this bike existed I would have gotten it in a heartbeat as it suits my lighter frame (60kg) and generally shorter rides (have yet to empty my battery in a single ride in my 2019 Levo Carbon Comp). Since the frameset and motor stays the same, it should be pretty easy for Specialized to come out with this quickly (really just a matter of creating a 250 Wh battery). What do you guys think?

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
They have a 500 and 700, to different batteries. So they should create a 250 that can join together. One battery and you can choose to run 1, 2 or 3 batteries.

Then you could run 1 and keep one in your pack/car or set the bike appropriately. Only need one battery design then too.

I think fazua/lapierre have the right idea with it all being able to be removed though. Great concept. Looking forward to trying one out.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Or you could just buy the e-zesty or any number of the bikes we will see with the fazua hitting the market over then next few months.

Specilized will likely in the future need to come up with something similar, but for the moment its not a market they are in.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
Or you could just buy the e-zesty or any number of the bikes we will see with the fazua hitting the market over then next few months.

Specilized will likely in the future need to come up with something similar, but for the moment its not a market they are in.

For now the eZesty isn't available in the USA, but my fingers are crossed that a full-suspension Fazua powered bike will make it over here to California. I considered importing one but then getting one serviced here in case of issues would be very difficult.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
For now the eZesty isn't available in the USA, but my fingers are crossed that a full-suspension Fazua powered bike will make it over here to California. I considered importing one but then getting one serviced here in case of issues would be very difficult.

I don't think the Fazua has benen certified for sale in the US yet

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I don't think the Fazua has benen certified for sale in the US yet

Yes, I chatted with Fazua about that a few months ago. They hope to get certified later this year I think. I may be able to ride some of their demo/prototype bikes at the Seat Otter Classic next month, so I'm looking forward to that :)

c.tonus

Jun 12, 2018
Brazil
I thought about that too, a turbo levo with 250w of battery and 18 Kg. But, I thought ... why not a specialized epic with fazua motor ... ? ... this yes would have about 15 kg and facts all the sense to the public of low weight ebike and lower hanging capacity

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
I thought about that too, a turbo levo with 250w of battery and 18 Kg. But, I thought ... why not a specialized epic with fazua motor ... ? ... this yes would have about 15 kg and facts all the sense to the public of low weight ebike and lower hanging capacity

A 15kg Fazua-powered Specialized Epic would be amazing.

Grant Johnson

Sep 25, 2018
Nashville TN
my thoughts exactly

Grant Johnson

Sep 25, 2018
Nashville TN
I always thought that companies should make a modular battery that has 150wh segments that you can chain together. pick how much weight and range you want for each ride. Extra bonus, you can take the smaller batteries on a plane.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia

ezesty isnt available in my country, and when the local lappeire rep asked for available stock..the reply was...maybe dec 2019

i would stick with spez because its the only manufacturer with full support here. And i agree with OP, i would buy a Levo Air in a heartbeat.

My local trails do not need a huge 500-700 battery, our rides normally last no more than 3 - 3.5 hours, i would kill to have smaller batter/motor but sub 19kg levo

xcentric

Feb 2, 2019
Market Drayton
ezesty isnt available in my country, and when the local lappeire rep asked for available stock..the reply was...maybe dec 2019

i would stick with spez because its the only manufacturer with full support here. And i agree with OP, i would buy a Levo Air in a heartbeat.

My local trails do not need a huge 500-700 battery, our rides normally last no more than 3 - 3.5 hours, i would kill to have smaller batter/motor but sub 19kg levo
so buy a trail watts pack, and use just that with the Spec battery at home.....

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
so buy a trail watts pack, and use just that with the Spec battery at home.....

why would i want to strap a ugly aftermarket battery (which isnt available here, and takes up the space for my bottle) and leave a ugly gaping hole in my levo?

I love my levo...but sooner or later i would have to upgrade, i and would like my next levo to be sub 18kg if possible.....not the 24kg it currently is

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
why would i want to strap a ugly aftermarket battery (which isnt available here, and takes up the space for my bottle) and leave a ugly gaping hole in my levo?

I love my levo...but sooner or later i would have to upgrade, i and would like my next levo to be sub 18kg if possible.....not the 24kg it currently is
What version of Levo do you own that weighs 24kgs?

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
The 2018 Levo's could easily hit a real-world weight of 24kg w/ pedals. I'm really impressed by how much Specialized reduced the weight of the 2019s (average of say 2kg lighter), and I'd like to see an equal weight reduction on the next generation. However, I worry with the heavy Flyons and Greyp bikes getting a lot of press, Specialized may be pressured into putting a bigger motor and larger battery into the next generation resulting in a heavier bike.

I'm hoping they go the other way and continue to make it feel / handle more like a traditional mountain bike.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
The 2018 Levo's could easily hit a real-world weight of 24kg w/ pedals. I'm really impressed by how much Specialized reduced the weight of the 2019s (average of say 2kg lighter), and I'd like to see an equal weight reduction on the next generation. However, I worry with the heavy Flyons and Greyp bikes getting a lot of press, Specialized may be pressured into putting a bigger motor and larger battery into the next generation resulting in a heavier bike.

I'm hoping they go the other way and continue to make it feel / handle more like a traditional mountain bike.
If you watch the embn interview with the builders of the new levo you get a real feeling that they're wanting to get the weight lower, he mentioned ideal is 16kg so I don't see them getting heavier after a massive shout about how they got it lighter than last model. Spesh is making their bikes for real bikers.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
If you watch the embn interview with the builders of the new levo you get a real feeling that they're wanting to get the weight lower, he mentioned ideal is 16kg so I don't see them getting heavier after a massive shout about how they got it lighter than last model. Spesh is making their bikes for real bikers.

Thats what im hoping for in 2020...if they had kept the 500 battery for 2019 instead of going up...it would have been at least 500grm lighter

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
OK, but their actual ability to do that with current battery tech is pretty much zero. Look at the weight of the production Ezesty with a 250Wh battery - it's about 18.5kg in production form, though you could probably shed 1-1.5kg off that if you splashed out on all the lightest components.

I really cant see Spec or anyone else getting a 500Wh full suss bike much lighter than the current top end Levo in the next 1-2 years without compromising on durability an/or battery size. After that, who knows - maybe energy density will increase and 16kg full sussers will be the norm. Lord knows how much Specialized will charge for one of those, though...! :eek::ROFLMAO:

Dpca10

Dec 20, 2018
USA
So I have a friend that worked at specialized. I'm not going to rat out too many details, mostly because I don't know them. I can say that I was expecting there to be a light weight, small battery, low boost model out this year, sounds like its not ready yet, and who knows if it will be for 2020, but they are definitely working on something.

jd_3d

Patreon
Jul 12, 2018
California
So I have a friend that worked at specialized. I'm not going to rat out too many details, mostly because I don't know them. I can say that I was expecting there to be a light weight, small battery, low boost model out this year, sounds like its not ready yet, and who knows if it will be for 2020, but they are definitely working on something.

Interesting! I wonder if it is a Fazua based system or simply a smaller battery + Brose

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia

I think most likely it will be a XC/trail bike...not full on 150/160mm enduro bike like the levo.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
OK, but their actual ability to do that with current battery tech is pretty much zero. Look at the weight of the production Ezesty with a 250Wh battery - it's about 18.5kg in production form, though you could probably shed 1-1.5kg off that if you splashed out on all the lightest components.

I really cant see Spec or anyone else getting a 500Wh full suss bike much lighter than the current top end Levo in the next 1-2 years without compromising on durability an/or battery size. After that, who knows - maybe energy density will increase and 16kg full sussers will be the norm. Lord knows how much Specialized will charge for one of those, though...! :eek:
I think they said in the next 5 years.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
For me the interesting thing is the next wave of spesh EMTB's, particularly the Kenevo, though I would love to see them do a Levo Evo along the lines of the Stumpy Evo. I also find it hard to believe that they won't be bringing out a performance E-Road bike, as this sector seems to be booming form what I can see.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Got a 2018 levo comp, 49.3 pounds with Roval Traverse SL 29 wheels and a 170 mm lyric. Love the bike and still one of the fastest downhillers in our area but as a former racer and weighing only 147 pounds but still very fit at 74, I would prefer a 16 kg bike with 250Wh battery and lower assist in a heartbeat, but with the capability to join two 250 W batteries together in the downtube as well as carry a third one in a backpack for long rides to the top of the mountain and back down, which are only once or twice a year for me.
Most of the time I only need one 250Wh battery to rip two loops of our tight technical trails twice a week, then switch out to another 250 W battery for a couple of hours of trail work before calling it quits.
Once they get the levo down to about 16-17 kg I would throw a set of cross country wheels on, Roval Control SL but still run 2.4 DHR II WT tires front and back, which are absolutely the best tires in my area.
I'm pretty confident specialized is going to build such a bike. I'm sure they're working on it. My LBS is a specialized shop so it's the only bike I would consider.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles