Exceeding the 250W - Peak motor power output

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Although the legal limit for A Pedelec is 250w, reading the small print the 250w is over a 30 min duration.

...has a maximum continuous rated power which does not exceed 250 watts;”; and
Regulation (EU) No 168/2013 defines “maximum continuous rated power” as the maximum thirty minutes power at the
output shaft of an electric engine as set out in United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) regulation No 85.

That means although 250w is the limit, it is fine for a motor to output in bursts way above this, correct?

So a Levo can output up to around 650-700 Watts according to various sources.

Are there any further tests or reading to see how long this can be sustained for? How long can the Levo output 650-700 Watts of power? I guess it’s down to the battery configuration along with the motor efficiency and power delivery that determines power output.

Any details on other bikes?

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
it is fine for a motor to output in bursts way above this, correct?
Yes.

Try discharging a full battery in max assist mode uphill. Say it lasts 1h, with 500Wh it gives you theoretically 500W. The efficiency is not 100% though.

Some thermal protection can reduce the power too. I had a BionX kit which gives up completely after something like 15 minutes.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Not sure if the Levo in the YouTube video was a 2017 or a 2018 model?

The good news is we don’t need to do what they did in the video and borrow a tester and rig it up to capture this information as the ‘Maximum motor power’ reading and an absolute bucket full of other statistical information is already available for every ride you have captured using the Blevo App.

Using the App on my 2017 1.2 motor captured a similar output stated in the video which is between 650 to 660 Watts

I know everyone who owns a Levo does not have the Blevo App. However, For everyone who does......... It would be great to see what they have captured on their Blevo App with their 2017 Levo’s and more importantly for the 2018 Levo’s which are advertised to have a 15% increase in power and also the new Kenevo comp or any of the new 2019 range that has the 1.2E motor in them to see what they are actually pushing out on the ‘Maximum motor power’ front,

My phone is Android based and I believe the App in the iOS based phones looks a bit different so not sure where you will see the ‘Maximum motor power’ reading.

However, for Android based phones to see the Maximum motor power reading see the screen shots and procedure below.
Open up the Blevo App,
Select ‘Bike Monitor’
This will open up on the last ‘tour’ (ride) you completed.
Start scrolling through the many pages until you see the Maximum motor power reading and let us all know what you are capturing.
PLEASE NOTE. To capture the reading you will have to be on Turbo mode, and everything set to 100%

C036C0C9-9F16-496E-B01B-CCBC595DED39.png
9D3FEB8B-1A97-4246-857B-B99AE5BCBA81.png

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Apologies, I should have put this in the original post....

Just to add a few additional notes...

You will need to attack a reasonably steep hill in a tough gear and give it all you can effort wise into the pedals for about 10 to 15 seconds ?

If you set your display up like I have below you will see a view of what you (Biker power (W)) and also your motor (Motor power (W)) are outputting which I hope will assist you in capturing the Max reading ;)

It was a bit difficult doing the screen capture while pedalling and trying to get a reading but I got there albeit not a very high reading but hopefully you will understand that the more effort you put into the pedals the higher both outputs will be ?

BED31CDE-9095-40BA-AD07-2A5C6E1575A0.png

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
i will go out and try to really push it but so far I get for a max rider power of 442w i get max motor power 587w
2018 levo

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
managed to produce rider power of 507w still only got 578w from the motor

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Well thats really interesting :unsure:

I vaguely remember @Tori saying in one of her Videos she saw something near 700 Watts on her display? Can’t remember which video though.....

Maybe @Tori could help here as she uses Blevo.

PaoloBLEvo

Trader
Jun 13, 2018
Varese

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
can you say what the biker power was please

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hey Blevo users

What is your motor outputting?
What software are you on?

Do we have a conspiracy theory that.....
1. The old 2017 1.2 motor is actually more powerful than the 2018 1.3 motor :unsure: or
2. Has Specialized detuned the 1.3 motor in the last update :unsure: or
3. Are the people that have tested the 1.3 motor so far not eating enough Weetabix for breakfast? :geek:

Last edited:

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
What seem to be strange from the little evidence i have seen is that rider power output does not seem to be consistent with motor power output . One guy puts out say 504 w and gets 570w motor, another guy puts 465w and gets 655w from the motor, doesn't make sense!!!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Same weight guy? Same speed, cadence, gradient, conditions, rolling resistance, gradient?

Makes sense to me motor power output would vary with any one of these things different, nevermind at least 3.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Well i m not so sure cadence maybe, the brose motor does respond better to the higher cadences. But the way its tuned its more or less rider input equal motor output x? Its got nothing to do with rider weight thats an after performance effect neither is rolling resistence its like having a 100hp motor in a 2 seater sports car verses a 100hp motor in a 4x4 they both will put out 100hp one will just be miles quicker than the other.
We are just comparing rider input to motor output, not it how fast they are going

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've never seen a sports car or a 4x4 that feeds power to driveshaft based on pedalling.
cool idea though.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
I do know that the Brose T drive vs the S drive that claims 15% more tq, the 15% is only in a higher pedal rpm.
The T motor has more tq in a narrower pedal rpm range.
This maybe why your seeing the higher value on the 1.2 motor ten the 1.3.
I am not 100% but I’m pretty sure the 1.2 is the T drive. 1.3 is S drive
The s drive claims more tq and a 15% more efficiency as well over a wider cadience.
My bulls has the T drive and 650wh battery and my Fantic has S drive and 630wh battery and the Fantic has better range and my climbing times are faster on Fantic.
Granted these are different bikes but they are within 2lbs of one another

Bigbarper

Jul 10, 2018
Horsham, West Sussex.
Was at BPW for a couple of days with a buddy who hired a Trek Powerfly - very interesting back to back comparison.
So I was getting well and truly dropped (I'm more cycle fit than my buddy) on my Kenevo on the BoB ride up in Turbo mode and getting v hot and bothered as well, then I remembered that I had 200w of smart power enabled....DOH.
Deleted that and saw some improvement but still being left behind....
Next step shut down BLEvo, opened Mission control, reset all parameters and noticed Peak Power defaulted to 39%??
Maxed out Peak power to 100% Turbo was already 100% and hooray I was flying, easily keeping up with my buddy on the powerfly for very similar levels of (apparent) effort.
When home today I had a fiddle with BLEvo, maxed out all the settings and as you can see above - 750w of assistance, more than enough I reckon:)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles