EW-EN100 (Junction A)

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Afternoon, when you analyse your ride can it tell you how much effort the bike put in and how much you put in?

I still haven't heard of a way to do this with a Shimano motor, as you can't seem to get rider power (or any power).

You would have to use a separate power meter (like cranks or pedals). And you still wouldn't be able to get the motor power ...

Asemnos

Apr 6, 2021
Greece
Yep it makes you wonder, since the SC-E5000 is both display and switch! Although it made me check the compatibility, and they are both listed in the same box, so I think it will only let you use one or the other:
View attachment 58023

Probably yes for number (2) - I'd agree with your thinking, but don't know for sure :)

Thank you for your answers, much appreciated! :)

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I recently got one of these but my motor cable enters the frame on the left side and the controller is on the left side. Anyone set up theirs like this?

No matter how I route it I can't get it to look good and stop the cable from rubbing on the frame. I've now moved the controller to the right side above my shifter but it just doesn't feel right but it gives the neatest install.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I recently got one of these but my motor cable enters the frame on the left side and the controller is on the left side. Anyone set up theirs like this?

No matter how I route it I can't get it to look good and stop the cable from rubbing on the frame. I've now moved the controller to the right side above my shifter but it just doesn't feel right but it gives the neatest install.

How are you routing the cable from the assist mode switch to the EW-EN100 to the frame? E.g. along the bars or along a brake hose?

In the UK we have rear brake on the left, so that also enters the frame, so it's easy to route the electric cable along the brake hose. Do you have a dropper lever and cable on the left, can you follow that?

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
20210704_161909.jpg

At the moment its running along the gear shift cable. I tried running along the brake hose and the dropper lever on the left hand side but it folds back on itself and rubs along the frame.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
At the moment its running along the gear shift cable. I tried running along the brake hose and the dropper lever on the left hand side but it folds back on itself and rubs along the frame.

You could maybe run it along the left brake hose or dropper cable and then switch it to follow the gear shift cable (where those meet), so the junction box stays where it is currently.

Or have the electric cable to the EW-EN100 come out the right side of the frame if there is space - and follow the other cables all the way up to the left side of the bars.

Reactions: iXi

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Yeah ideally it would come out the right but can't change it as no room or access.

I tried swapping from a left hand side cable run to the right but the gap widens too much when I turn the bars. I'll keep playing around and see what I can do.

If anyone sees this post and has a pic of left side to left side please post it up

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Here you go.
_20210704_202745.JPG

_20210704_202833.JPG

You don't need to run the steps cable along your shifter outer or brake hose. The rubber routing bands are to run it neatly along the bar.
The actual junction unit shouldn't rotate on the hose/cable if you also use the clips one either side of it.

TBH I'm not sure why you'd be bothered about aesthetics with all the accessories you have attached to your bars.

Last edited:
Reactions: iXi

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Yeah ideally it would come out the right but can't change it as no room or access.

I tried swapping from a left hand side cable run to the right but the gap widens too much when I turn the bars. I'll keep playing around and see what I can do.

If anyone sees this post and has a pic of left side to left side please post it up

You could also get an EW-JC200 and another short SD50 cable.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
is it possible to have walk mode with just the ew en100? ( i have no switch on bar , i switch only on boost at start on ew en100 and thats all )

I don't think it's possible, as normally you need to keep the "up button" pressed on the assist mode switch, or walk mode turns off.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I don't think it's possible, as normally you need to keep the "up button" pressed on the assist mode switch, or walk mode turns off.

the specs say that it supports walk mode:

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
If change my switch to SHIMANO Steps SW-E6000 (3 button switch), can I use the 3rd button with EN100 to turn on bike lights? Now I have to reach down where the EN100 is and long press the mode button in order to do so.

EDIT: Well I ordered and tested but sadly it doesn't work. The assit buttons work but the 3rd button does nothing with the EN100 even when it is set correctly in the etube app.

Last edited:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Can someone tell me if the EW-EN100 would let me change the settings for the three power profiles? If yes, do those setting persist between power cycles?

You can only change the profile settings using a mobile app like e-tube.

If you use e-tube to change the settings then it does work if you have a EW-EN100 on your bike, and the settings are remembered when you power the bike off and on.

If you have the EP8 motor which has 2 profiles each with eco, trail, and boost then you can’t switch between profile 1 and 2 with the EW-EN100 unless you use e-tube. Whereas with a display instead then I think you can use that to switch between the 2 profiles.

Biano44

Oct 7, 2020
Charnwood
The short answer is Yes.
the display will most likely be either directly connected to the motor or in a loop that goes to the motor.
Like you, I wanted rid of the display, at first I ran a Garmin computer on the bars for a display but now I just run a Garmin Watch as I much prefer the “Clean Cockpit” look.
I simply unplugged the Shimano display and plugged this device in its place but rather than attaching it to the cable I tucked it away in the frame.

Biano44

Oct 7, 2020
Charnwood
I have a small, dual button controller on the left hand side of the bars between the grip and brake lever clamp. The cable is internally routed to into the frame and connects to the EN’ and then onto the motor.

Biano44

Oct 7, 2020
Charnwood
Yes.
Just use the button on the front to change the mode. Bluetooth to another device for recording your ride and/or displaying ride information.

Biano44

Oct 7, 2020
Charnwood
Yes but like I said will my cable fit and does only one cable need to go into the junction box
Yes the cable will fit.
I haven’t tried it connected with only one cable connected but should work.
Worst case, move it to “in line” if it doesn’t work.
If your display works, the EN’ should work.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Forgot to ask I looked at the specs it says e7000 e8000 but nothing about ep8??

This page says SC-E5000 display uses the SD50 cable: SHIMANO STEPS Cycle Computer with Assist Switch | SHIMANO BIKE-US
And the EW-EN100 also uses the SD50 cable: SHIMANO STEPS Junction A for E-BIKE | SHIMANO BIKE-US

So you can just unplug the cable from the SC-E5000 and plug it into an EW-EN100.
- The EW-EN100 is compatible with the EP8 motor
- It's also ok if you only have a cable plugged into one end of the EW-EN100. The other end can then optionally be used to continue the cable, e.g. to an assist mode switch (which you'll probably need as you currently use the SC-E5000 to do that?)
- For assist mode switch see: SHIMANO STEPS E7000 Left Switch Unit for Assist | SHIMANO BIKE-US (and get the version with the right length cable)

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
That is the reply I've been looking for thank you very much my bike is sd300 cables but I'm buying an adaptor

If you already have a SC-E5000 display connected, then there will already be an adapter between the motor and that display (hidden somewhere inside the frame).

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
So instead of putting the fake plug in the other end of the junction box I can plug in a mode assist controller and it should work?

You can tap the button on the EW-EN100 to switch assist modes (if you positioned it well) - but when just using that you are unable to access "walk assist" (which can only be done with a mode assist switch).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles