EW-EN100 (Junction A)

Biano44

Oct 7, 2020
Charnwood
You haven't said which motor

I have mine attached to the gear outer just infront of the cable port on the downtube. This means the lights are obscured by my bars. I find the lights annoyingly bright (especially at night) but if I want to see mode or battery/warning light I just have to move my head slightly to see below the bar.
I find the New Orbea's EW100 location really ugly and somehow makes it look massive in the pics/vids.

With the Garmin 530,830
Garmin's wireless speed and cadence sensors will override the speed/cadence data transmitted by the motor if fitted to your bike.
You will require them if you're running a derestricted set-up otherwise your garmin will log your rides as half the true distances/speeds
I will give this a try on Sunday.

beluga

Oct 22, 2020
NYC
Ah... So I guess it's not an Emtb you have if it came with an E8000 motor but a city bike display?

If buying new EN-EW100 is your cheapest option at £60 and will do all you want. Once you've updated software and set your assistance preferences etc you could then just sell it on.
I don't update my software at all anymore (over a year since updating) and never change settings.

Yes I was wondering... Where is the actual computer that's storing and processing the settings? Is it in the drive unit and those displays are just user interfaces? I that case getting an EW100 for tinkering and using the display for riding would work well in my case.

vitzo

Nov 30, 2020
USA
hi all, i replace my E8000 display with the EW-EN100 and it seems the it works but when i try to connect the edge530 it doesn't find any sensors
Does anyone has a clue what to do ?
I can connect to the etube project app i updated the EW-EN100 firmware and the garmin has the lastest firmware (V7.0)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Have you read the manual? Pretty sure you hold down one of the buttons until one of the lights start flashing

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You DON'T actually need to put the EW EN100 into pairing mode. Just switch the bike on while the garmin is searching for sensors and it should show up (as a numbered code with a graphic of a bike) . Select it and confirm/save. That's it paired.
The STEPS specific data page only shows up in the Ebike profiles. And needs to be enabled.

Garmins are horrible, overly complicated, hellishly unintuitive, painstakingly slow and awkward to use and their extremely poor manuals don't help.

Enjoy ?

vitzo

Nov 30, 2020
USA
of course I read the manual, and as Gary said the manual says you don't need to do anything, just activate the bike this is why i asked. unfortunately when going to add sensor in the Garmin it is just searching and find nothing.

vitzo

Nov 30, 2020
USA
Edge 1030 and Edge Explore are the only compatible devices with shimano as far as i know
i have a 1030 and it connects instantly with out issues .
not according to Garmin site they claim all edge products are compatible 530, 800, 1030

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
530 is definitely compatibile
800 definitely is not.
I own both.

What exact order are you trying?
Navigate through options to settings > sensors and begin sensor search on the unit THEN switch on your bike. Keeping the Garmin next to the EW100 unit as it searches.
It should then show upon the garmin and you need to tick the box. Then add it. Once added you can rename it and in Ebike profiles you can display the extra features either in the STEPS page or an Ebike page.

Do you have any other Bluetooth or ANT+ sensors you can test to see if they are visible to the garmin?

vitzo

Nov 30, 2020
USA
530 is definitely compatibile
800 definitely is not.
I own both.

What exact order are you trying?
Navigate through options to settings > sensors and begin sensor search on the unit THEN switch on your bike. Keeping the Garmin next to the EW100 unit as it searches.
It should then show upon the garmin and you need to tick the box. Then add it. Once added you can rename it and in Ebike profiles you can display the extra features either in the STEPS page or an Ebike page.

Do you have any other Bluetooth or ANT+ sensors you can test to see if they are visible to the garmin?
thanks all.
first yes I meant 830 and not 800 :).
I been able to fix the problem. I needed to do full reset to the Garmin and now it recognize the bike

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Garmins are horrible, overly complicated, hellishly unintuitive, painstakingly slow and awkward to use and their extremely poor manuals don't help.
Oops! I forgot, unreliable and flaky ;)

Glad you got yours sorted out in the end

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I removed my STEPs bar display years ago in favour of the EW EN100. Between it's two multicoloured lights on and the lights on my external battery it tells me anything I'd want to know about the bike during a ride.
For all the extra (but mainly useless) Ebike data the Garmin gives you. it omits the ONE genuinely useful (for me) display metric the original STEPS E8000 display had. Namely the coloured power bar. Which if payed attention to allowed me at a glance to get the most efficient power delivery/torque or eek out battery life (depending on what your preferences were at the time). The original reason I removed the display was because I found (even on its dimmest setting) I was having to tape over the display to stop the brightness of it annoying/distracting me when night riding. I also much prefer having a clean less cluttered bar.

TBH I sort of hate Garmins but they do the job for logging training/ride data and very occasionally help with navigation. Genuinely can't remember the last time I even looked at the map page for directions.

vitzo

Nov 30, 2020
USA
I removed my STEPs bar display years ago in favour of the EW EN100. Between it's two multicoloured lights on and the lights on my external battery it tells me anything I'd want to know about the bike during a ride.
For all the extra (but mainly useless) Ebike data the Garmin gives you. it omits the ONE genuinely useful (for me) display metric the original STEPS E8000 display had. Namely the coloured power bar. Which if payed attention to allowed me at a glance to get the most efficient power delivery/torque or eek out battery life (depending on what your preferences were at the time). The original reason I removed the display was because I found (even on its dimmest setting) I was having to tape over the display to stop the brightness of it annoying/distracting me when night riding. I also much prefer having a clean less cluttered bar.

TBH I sort of hate Garmins but they do the job for logging training/ride data and very occasionally help with navigation. Genuinely can't remember the last time I even looked at the map page for directions.
i agree i didn't like the original display but i do need the garmin since i am goin gback to MTB after few years so need the navigations (don't remember any of the trails) by the way one thing that i like in the garmin display is that it gives me real Battery status and not only the 5 bars that is really not good enough.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Are you using the STEPS profile template or a user created Ebike one on the Garmin?
The STEPs one seemed to have a pointless "Shimano STEPs" logo and 5 bar battery guage graphic taking up the top 1/4 of the screen that couldn't be changed. Or did I miss how to get rid of them?

vitzo

Nov 30, 2020
USA
Are you using the STEPS profile template or a user created Ebike one on the Garmin?
The STEPs one seemed to have a pointless "Shimano STEPs" logo and 5 bar battery guage graphic taking up the top 1/4 of the screen that couldn't be changed. Or did I miss how to get rid of them?
i use custom one the built in Profile template is useless :)

Asemnos

Apr 6, 2021
Greece
Hey guys,

I'm currently waiting for this Kellys bike to arrive. It's equipped with the decent E7000 motor and the shitty SC E5000 display which has no bluetooth function.

All I want is the damn Bluetooth so I can adjust once or twice the assist levels etc through E Tube app, and I also want to buy ST Unlocker so I can achieve the US 32km/h support.

So the question is, can I buy this EW-EN100, do my things and then go back to the shitty E5000 display?

Or shall I replace the E5000 with the E7000 display and shifters?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Hey guys,

I'm currently waiting for this Kellys bike to arrive. It's equipped with the decent E7000 motor and the shitty SC E5000 display which has no bluetooth function.

All I want is the damn Bluetooth so I can adjust once or twice the assist levels etc through E Tube app, and I also want to buy ST Unlocker so I can achieve the US 32km/h support.

So the question is, can I buy this EW-EN100, do my things and then go back to the shitty E5000 display?

Or shall I replace the E5000 with the E7000 display and shifters?

Either option should work :)

I'd probably wait and see what you think of the E5000 display first - as that might influence your decision. If you don't like it, then it probably makes sense to just jump straight to the E7000 display with a separate shifter.

I'd say the only reason to switch to the EW-EN100 would be if you want to ditch a display entirely (which is what I prefer) - and then just connect it to your phone or Garmin watch/Edge.

Asemnos

Apr 6, 2021
Greece
Either option should work :)

I'd probably wait and see what you think of the E5000 display first - as that might influence your decision. If you don't like it, then it probably makes sense to just jump straight to the E7000 display with a separate shifter.

I'd say the only reason to switch to the EW-EN100 would be if you want to ditch a display entirely (which is what I prefer) - and then just connect it to your phone or Garmin watch/Edge.

Thanks for your answer, I will think about it. The thing is, EW-EN100 is about 1/3 the price of the E7000 display and shifters. Plus I don't really mind using my phone mounted instead of a display.

As far as I know, either option will work out of the box, right? I mean, is it a straight plug and play or do I need any cable adapter for any of these?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Thanks for your answer, I will think about it. The thing is, EW-EN100 is about 1/3 the price of the E7000 display and shifters. Plus I don't really mind using my phone mounted instead of a display.

As far as I know, either option will work out of the box, right? I mean, is it a straight plug and play or do I need any cable adapter for any of these?

It should just work straight away swapping it over - you may possibly need to update firmware afterwards if one of the items was very old, but you can do that with the e-tube app on phone if careful.

If you go for the EW-EN100 permanently, then you may also want a shifter, although you can just use the button on the EW-EN100 - depends on your riding :)

Asemnos

Apr 6, 2021
Greece
It should just work straight away swapping it over - you may possibly need to update firmware afterwards if one of the items was very old, but you can do that with the e-tube app on phone if careful.

If you go for the EW-EN100 permanently, then you may also want a shifter, although you can just use the button on the EW-EN100 - depends on your riding :)

Thank you for your time replying, I really appreciate it! I have 2 more questions:

1. Can I use the EW-EN100 and SC E5000 at the same time? I suppose not..
2. Can I swap the E5000 with the EW-EN100, derestrict the motor, then swap back to E5000? I suppose yes, since settings are stored in the motor and not in the display.

If my second question is a yes, then it's a good solution for me. If not, I suppose I'll go for the E7000 display + shifters.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Yep it makes you wonder, since the SC-E5000 is both display and switch! Although it made me check the compatibility, and they are both listed in the same box, so I think it will only let you use one or the other:
1617912052158.png

Probably yes for number (2) - I'd agree with your thinking, but don't know for sure :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles