Alpujarras
Product Image:
20210502_170603_HDR.jpg

Polish_20210503_123709559.jpg

Product name: Evoc "E-RIDE" back pack.
Price paid: €193
Score (out of 10): 9

Review:

Comparatively wider across the back and flatter than the traditional backpack, this extremely well-thought out kit spreads the inevitably heavy (water bag/spare battery/tools etc.) load as widely as possible, distributing between shoulder straps, padding that covers almost all of the back area and wide padded waist straps closed by a huge velcro/adjustable clip combination. Picking it up with one hand it felt like toting a sack of potatoes. Wearing it, I was hardly aware that I was carrying anything. It is incredibly comfortable.

The only minor niggle is the eccentric routing of the water bladder tube which feeds from the bottom of the pack rather than over the shoulder. There is just one dedicated fixing clip on the shoulder strap to route it and this leaves it curving dangerously outward, ready catch on passing branches and the like. However, I was able to make it safer by utilising the loop at the bottom of the adjustable shoulder strap and also the strip of material above the clip. This still meant that to keep the tube nipple tucked down I had to pull it up to drink, then draw down/push the tube back into the pack where it emerges below. A really very minor inconvenience.

With the rapid advances being made in battery technology, the usefullness of this pack as an extra battery-carrier will probably die, but for me it extends my available power from 504Wh to 1008Wh and therefore my range, essential here in big mountains that require a lot of E8000 "boost".

My score reflects the minor problem of the tubing routing/adjustment and the kit's likely obsolesence, but if you need to carry a spare battery, I highly recommend this very nearly perfect backpack.

Last edited:

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
its a good pack, I have the normal FR trail one but I made a mistake when buying cos I didnt know they came in different sizes (body length)
so I bought the Xl that they dont recommend for MTB. fortunately I am fairly tall so I dont notice the extra length and its a very, very comfortable backpack, even when loaded with all day tools, spares, 3 litres of water and an extra battery.

LetRippr

Apr 21, 2021
Devon
Bought one recently, bloomin marvelous. Safely carry a spare battery without worrying about movement and smashing my spine. Really comfortable to wear, recently rode over Dartmoor, wasn't aware of any movement even over really gnar descending. It's expensive, but worth it without a doubt.

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I've also just bought one but I haven't had the chance to use it yet.
Mine didn't come with a bladder, do you guys use the Evoc one or will the bladder from my Camelback fit ?

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Mine didn't come with a bladder, do you guys use the Evoc one or will the bladder from my Camelback fit ?

Mine came without the bladder too. I use Deuter bladders and the pipe is not long enough because of the odd routing. I used the bladder as a reservoir to refill the bidon on the downtube.

A comfortable bit of kit. Highly recommended if you are not desperate for a good hydration system (which it doesn't have).

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I bought an EVOC a couple of years ago but returned it as the battery compartment (main reason I bought it) wouldn't take my bulky TEC pack yet, conversely, the back pack itself was way too big and cumbersome, I think it's listed as 20 litres, for my usual four to six hour rides.

Anyone know of a battery carrying back pack of slightly more modest dimensions, say 12 to 16 litres that will take a Shimano 504 Wh battery?

Last edited:

EezyRider

Sep 23, 2020
Lincolnshire
Had mine a few months now, I agree the pack is quite comfortable when you are wearing it but you do feel it after a long day.

I used an Osprey bladder from one of my other backpacks and the routing caused the hose to disconnect from the bladder due to the angle. It looks like a horizontal or rotating hose connector is required not a vertical one as on the Osprey. The contents of the bag soaked. This has put me off using a bladder now as I would like to think the contents of my bag stay dry and I had liquids when I needed them.

I don’t find it big enough for a proper day out and I wouldn’t trust the back protector with a battery in it for anything more than big XC rides.

The rain cover doesn’t fully cover the bag, I’ve found the bottom of it does get soaked and covered in mud.

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I bought an EVOC a couple of years ago but returned it as the battery compartment (main reason I bought it) wouldn't take my bulky TEC pack yet, conversely, the back pack itself was way too big and cumbersome, I think it's listed as 20 litres, for my usual four to six hour rides.

Anyone know of a battery carrying back pack of slightly more modest dimensions, say 12 to 16 litres that will take a Shimano 504 Wh battery?
There is a test in e mountain bike magazine of various ebike backpacks

geehaw

Nov 17, 2019
Melbourne Australia
Perhaps for a rail trail ride or an easy XC jaunt. Going OTB at any moderate speed off a jump, drop off or rocky dh with a 4x2 brick in the center of your spine is going to result in additional serious injuries no matter what back protector you have in the pack.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Perhaps for a rail trail ride or an easy XC jaunt. Going OTB at any moderate speed off a jump, drop off or rocky dh with a 4x2 brick in the center of your spine is going to result in additional serious injuries no matter what back protector you have in the pack.

In years to come we will look back and ask ourselves did people really carry those huge heavy spare batteries around.

reminds me of old mobile phones of the early 80s

1A7C83AB-0ACC-4024-B7DF-605B1F452734.jpeg

MB1

Dec 28, 2019
Cumbria
I like mine, ticks all the boxes and even though it weighs a ton with a 500wh spare in, the weight evaporates when you put it on… the sign of a good backpack!

LetRippr

Apr 21, 2021
Devon
Seems most bladders will fit, has a dedicated section and guides/exits but doesn't come with one. I just don't find I need one anymore as I'm not sweating my tats off climbing so no issue for me

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles