Ever bought more ebike than you need and regretted it?

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
So, essentially, Pivot is privately importing an italian designed thok bike , but paying for a sewing machine brand ( ducati) that is owned by " the peoples" car brand ( vw) which is really just a front for a super rich german family ( the porsche family) even though they sold their own brand to VW before buying it?

Extra bonus points for the person who can calculate the % of purchase price that goes to the marketing team compared to the workers trying to make sense of an italian spaghetti wiring diagram.......and good luck with the first electrical issue!

For perspective - I ride an swm rs650 , which is essentially another over priced and confused sewing nachine. Assembled in the italian Husqvarna factory , based on their TE630 which was sacrificed when bmw bought husky - before selling to ktm who later sold out to an Indian company. Anyway, last I heard SWM was mostly owned by a Chinese company but I think the motors are Czech built even though they were originally built at that Husky factory in Italy.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I

i am still quite attracted to this bike. It has the perfect stand over height for me and the price is easier to swallow. I’m just concerned that I like my Levo Hardtail that I might end up regretting having a second matching one. Ugh

Look on the bright side, if you become a yamaha convert then his and hers identical bikes get to have different names.

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Funny you say that!

Porsche is owned by VAG (VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Porsche, Lamborghini group)
Ducati is owned by Lamborghini, so you would keep it in the family

View attachment 38957

Ha yes the connection!

Nice Macan!

I’ve always been Porsche mad. I desperately wanted an G body Targa for such a long time. But then prices went nuts. Nowadays a good 996 Manual coupe is fantastic value. All Porsche and last 911 without all the nanny devices!

If there was no COVID I would be shopping for one now. But what’s the point? We are in lockdown. Who knows for how long. Just isn’t the right time.

So EMTB is a better idea for now and maybe ever.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
So, essentially, Pivot is privately importing an italian designed thok bike , but paying for a sewing machine brand ( ducati) that is owned by " the peoples" car brand ( vw) which is really just a front for a super rich german family ( the porsche family) even though they sold their own brand to VW before buying it?

Extra bonus points for the person who can calculate the % of purchase price that goes to the marketing team compared to the workers trying to make sense of an italian spaghetti wiring diagram.......and good luck with the first electrical issue!

For perspective - I ride an swm rs650 , which is essentially another over priced and confused sewing nachine. Assembled in the italian Husqvarna factory , based on their TE630 which was sacrificed when bmw bought husky - before selling to ktm who later sold out to an Indian company. Anyway, last I heard SWM was mostly owned by a Chinese company but I think the motors are Czech built even though they were originally built at that Husky factory in Italy.

Phew! I got off lightly good on ya, mate!

I was expecting some Franken-mutant-child analogies

Dannich

Jun 16, 2020
Sunderland
I bought a bike!!!

bought a Small 2020 Levo in Black with the Dusty Lilac

my other half said go for it.
I’ll have it in a week!! It’s being delivered from n hour away and due to current lockdown I’m not allowed to go collect it!

wooot!! I’m so excited as my 3 yr old says!

good on you! loving my levo comp 2020 in taupe/voodoo orange

it's too much bike for me, but i'm working up to it :D

no regrets!

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
good on you! loving my levo comp 2020 in taupe/voodoo orange

it's too much bike for me, but i'm working up to it :D

no regrets!

Sometimes you just know if you ‘settle’ for 2nd option you’ll just pay for it later. Andthat can happen by upgrading components or selling and buying the first choice.

so given we can afford it - why not eh!

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Sometimes you just know if you ‘settle’ for 2nd option you’ll just pay for it later. Andthat can happen by upgrading components or selling and buying the first choice.

so given we can afford it - why not eh!

Well, what is a bike? A frame, with fonts and colours, and the accessories.

If you buy a good frame with suitable geometry, it will last longer than we are willing to admit.

Most of us want stronger motor and/or higher power-density battery. Better tyres, brakes, lights, anti-theft... mudguards. As long as component manufacturers ensure interoperability of new components with older frames we are fine. However, at some point we will be encouraged to buy a new shiny object

Julie

May 24, 2020
San Diego
I bought too much ebike. I am 5’4” 115 lbs female and the 2019 S Works Turbo Levo Small is a monster. Not only is the frame too big, but the weight is crazy. What used to be little bobbles on my analog bikes are now full on slams to the ground on the Levo. I have given up trying to use it on technical singletrack...just too scary. Also I can barely control it going down steeps. It is lots of fun on doubletrack/fireroad though. I can’t say I regret the purchase because I don’t give up easily and it took 300 miles for me to acknowledge what I could and could not safely do on it. It is not a matter of “just getting used to it.” It definitely requires more upper body strength and input than an analog does. It actually feels more like a motorcycle to me, and it is comparable to the average guy riding an 80 lb ebike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Julie That sounds a very unhappy experience to me. A bike as good as that should not be scary on descents at the sort of speed you are used to. My first emtb felt like coming home, as should yours. Do not "get used to it"!! There is too much money invested in that bike for you to be scared on the descents.

If you have bought an S Works Turbo Levo then I'm assuming that you are not by any means a novice rider. But......

Are you sure that the bike suspension is set up correctly for your weight? I don't just mean sag and rebound etc, but are there any spacers or tokens in the suspension that could be removed. In addition I would hazard a guess that maybe your tyre pressures could be reduced with benefit. Maybe compare settings with somebody with a similar weight who appears to be having no problems?

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I bought too much ebike. I am 5’4” 115 lbs female and the 2019 S Works Turbo Levo Small is a monster. Not only is the frame too big, but the weight is crazy. What used to be little bobbles on my analog bikes are now full on slams to the ground on the Levo. I have given up trying to use it on technical singletrack...just too scary. Also I can barely control it going down steeps. It is lots of fun on doubletrack/fireroad though. I can’t say I regret the purchase because I don’t give up easily and it took 300 miles for me to acknowledge what I could and could not safely do on it. It is not a matter of “just getting used to it.” It definitely requires more upper body strength and input than an analog does. It actually feels more like a motorcycle to me, and it is comparable to the average guy riding an 80 lb ebike.

Hi Julie, these are very interesting observation. Your eMTB is near half your weight, so I can imagine it will feel very different to your analogue.

I am 83kg (182 lbs) and 183cm (6ft)
My eMTB is quarter of my weight and my motorcycle is +2x my weight

Correct setup for your size/weight will def help, as standard bike would be set for a much heavier person, but I think sMTB is a very diff ride to analogue bike.

I am actually considering taking some training lessons to truly understand what my bike is capable of. Just like we get invited by the car companies to a track... I need some pro instructions to get the most enjoyment out of my eMTB.

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne

Hi Julie

yes I’ve heard that before ie the upper body weight strength. I’m similar height to you but I’m far more solid

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

have you owned the bike very long?

I’m sure there’s other women similar size to you riding these bikes. Like Georgia Leslie from EMBN. I wonder how her bike is set up?!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That's a real shame. The S-works is one of the lightest full torque/battery FS Emtbs available and the size small is fairly small in reach by modern standards.Do you still have it?
I wonder if you'd cope with it better if you were to fit a lightweight 27.5 wheelset and lighter tyres (tubeless). not only would this lighten the bike by a kilo or so bringing it down to around 43lb, it will drop the BB, stand over and control points (bars/saddle) as well.

at your weight you could easily get away with far lighter tyre casings, spokes and rims than the bike comes with stock.

Julie

May 24, 2020
San Diego
Good input. I did spend quite a bit of time on setup and I'm actually quite happy with the suspension and fork adjustments now. I put the shortest possible stem on it to quicken the handling but it still feels slow/heavy. I run about 11-12 lbs in the tires and it feels about right. The size is much larger than my Small analog bikes (Pivot Mach 4 and Mach 6). I read somewhere that a well known Pro only cared about one measurement on the bike..and that was the hand contact to bottom bracket center. After he adjusted everything to his desired "feel" that number always came out the same...no matter what brand, size bike, wheels, etc. Of course, its geometry could change its handling drastically, but fit-wise, that was his key. I measured my two analog bikes and my road/hybrid..and sure enough...they were the same from hand contact point to bottom bracket after years of tweaking them into max comfort and control. But the Levo is 2 full inches longer with a very short stem. I considered the SL although it is the same size, albeit lighter, except for some crazy reason (??? the water bottle space) the frame actually has a higher standover than the Levo Turbo by a couple of centimeters. It would be better with 27.5 wheels but Specialized discourages that due to the low bottom bracket and need for non standard crank length to avoid pedal strikes.

yeah..I'm fussy ( : The search for the Holy Grail continues.

Thank you for your thoughts !

Julie

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I guess your Pivots are older and have old skool geometry. the current Pivot Mach 4 has exactly the same reach as the small 2019 Sworks levo. (stack is 10mm higher on the levo, but you can adjust that easily with a lower bar)

Specialized discourages that due to the low bottom bracket and need for non standard crank length to avoid pedal strikes.
It doesn't have a low BB height. it could easily be dropped 15mm and still be higher than a load of bikes with the same amount of travel.
Plenty folk fit shorter cranks to their Ebikes with the sole purpose being to help eliminate pedal strikes.

Because of the added weight Shorter Emtbs are waaaay easier to maneouver and raise the wheels (manual/wheelie/hop) than long ones.
now that so many manufacturers are settling on 29" wheels for their Eebs your search for a short reach, short wheelbase bike is only going to be harder. Something properly light like the Levo SL is where I'd be looking were I in your shoes. But I'd definitely be fitting 27.5 wheels to it.

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Good input. I did spend quite a bit of time on setup and I'm actually quite happy with the suspension and fork adjustments now. I put the shortest possible stem on it to quicken the handling but it still feels slow/heavy. I run about 11-12 lbs in the tires and it feels about right. The size is much larger than my Small analog bikes (Pivot Mach 4 and Mach 6). I read somewhere that a well known Pro only cared about one measurement on the bike..and that was the hand contact to bottom bracket center. After he adjusted everything to his desired "feel" that number always came out the same...no matter what brand, size bike, wheels, etc. Of course, its geometry could change its handling drastically, but fit-wise, that was his key. I measured my two analog bikes and my road/hybrid..and sure enough...they were the same from hand contact point to bottom bracket after years of tweaking them into max comfort and control. But the Levo is 2 full inches longer with a very short stem. I considered the SL although it is the same size, albeit lighter, except for some crazy reason (??? the water bottle space) the frame actually has a higher standover than the Levo Turbo by a couple of centimeters. It would be better with 27.5 wheels but Specialized discourages that due to the low bottom bracket and need for non standard crank length to avoid pedal strikes.

Julie

doesn’t the SL come in an XS size though? I’m sure I saw an XS - I just checked the Aus Spesh site and it’s been removed. Bummer

move noticed many manufacturers aren’t even declaring stand over height anymore. Most frustrating for shorter riders

edit: Found XS Geo on the UK site 767mm for SL

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The XS has a reach of just 395mm (and stack of 579mm). swap that out to 27.5 wheels and it sounds exactly the sort of thing you'd be after @Julie

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania

Julie
I think Phil from TrailTalk recommends setting up bikes like that.

I think it is a bit of industry reluctance (stupidity?) to not truly regard the size of people. Many manufacturers try to say that their 27.5 or 29" bikes are good for people down to 5 feet. Sure, you can sit on them, but the handlebars are way up there - doh! That's a limitation of bigger wheels. For example, under 5 feet and 24" wheels are a great fit. My partner is 4'11" and the difference between a 26" bike and a 24" bike is profound. She was along for the ride on the 26", she just couldn't move her body that much; on the 24" she can work her body like the rest of us on a good fitting bike - she is all over the place.

A 26" for someone 5'4" could be awesome. I imagine a 27.5" would work, but who here rides a bike just because it works? Of course wheel size is one aspect, as is crank length and all those other measurements, weights and angles. You can't really defy wheel size though, it is an absolute.

cemoz

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
I’m 5”3 and prefer 26 inch wheels, I wish they were still widely available. I like my analog GT it’s a small but the 27.5 wheels just feel too big. I raced in 24 BMX cruiser class when I was younger and it didn’t feel like a too big of a jump to go to 26. Currently building up a small frame Cube Stereo Hybrid and will be putting 26 inch wheels on it if I can find a tyre and rim combination that isn’t a struggle to get on. Have snapped three sets of plastic tyre levers, snapped plastic and bent metal core levers and finally had to resort to full metal levers to get a Maxxis tyre on a DT Swiss 27.5 Rim. I wish the bike industry would take small bike riders more into account when they change their standards I never had a problem when changing 26 inch tyres.

I’m on the light side as well so I hope the Cube doesn’t turn out to be too much too handle weight wise. If it does there isn’t much available in West Oz.

Fuzz

Jun 2, 2020
Yarrahapinni, NSW, Australia
That Liv E+ looks like it will suit you well, it's only a 500 battery though. Having maximum range for fun tours is gold imo. "99 bikes" (here in NSW) reckon the 2021 Cube range is imminent. The 2021 Cube stereo 120 625 is maybe worth a look. It's well appointed, and has the big battery... Spoil yourself, if you actually use your bike, I don't think you would ever regret the upgrade...

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
I’m 5”3 and prefer 26 inch wheels, I wish they were still widely available. I like my analog GT it’s a small but the 27.5 wheels just feel too big. I raced in 24 BMX cruiser class when I was younger and it didn’t feel like a too big of a jump to go to 26. Currently building up a small frame Cube Stereo Hybrid and will be putting 26 inch wheels on it if I can find a tyre and rim combination that isn’t a struggle to get on. Have snapped three sets of plastic tyre levers, snapped plastic and bent metal core levers and finally had to resort to full metal levers to get a Maxxis tyre on a DT Swiss 27.5 Rim. I wish the bike industry would take small bike riders more into account when they change their standards I never had a problem when changing 26 inch tyres.

I’m on the light side as well so I hope the Cube doesn’t turn out to be too much too handle weight wise. If it does there isn’t much available in West Oz.

Yes manufacturers are really leaving smaller riders out of the picture. If you wanted to buy a kid one of these bikes so they could keep up with you, be a hell of a task finding a bike for them!

Last edited:

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
I bought too little ebike. 140mm rear travel, 504Wh Shimano. My reason for choosing it was mainly its low price, not wanting to commit too much to my first emtb purchase. I figured I could make it more aggro with an angle set, but it was just built too flimsy and everything needed to be upgraded to something more durable and reliable.

I go past its range limits with very conservative assist use, but glad that I can still pedal without drag. It's only gotten worse with me resorting to draggier tires that are tougher, and over 2.5 years of use.

Nothing really catching my eye in terms of a potential upgrade. Doubt the Shimano EP8 reveal tomorrow will have anything that interests me. I would like a stouter fork, more dropper travel, more susp travel, shorter CS, steeper STA, more standover clearance, taller stack... I agree with a lack of appealing options for shorter riders. Got to accept a compromise if you want to make a choice now. Forestal was the most appealing one to me, but don't want to really spend that much.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles