Ever bought more ebike than you need and regretted it?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Came across this on youtube. An xl sized enduro dude trying out a small trail bike :ROFLMAO: He was 1 sec slower on various sections but had more fun. That's a fairly extreme example re sizing - (smaller bars, cranks etc).

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
One would think that in the age of mass customisation there would be more options for shorter and taller people.

I am exactly 6ft and I was advised to take L frame. I feel that when my seat-post is fully extended, my ar$e is too high in relation to my handlebars. Maybe my legs are disproportionally long or something(?)
Luckily I ride a mullet (front 29” and rear 27.5”) which helps balance me on the bike.

So, perhaps leave front wheel as is for navigating over ditches or logs, and change rear to smaller wheel to fit your body preference. Then you set your rear wheel circumference to new value and you age GTG!
The disadvantage of the smaller wheel at the back with seat post fully extended is that my bike likes to pop a wheelie now and then... I am experimenting with dropping the seat to lower position while climbing, which I wouldn’t do on my analogue hard-tail.

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
One would think that in the age of mass customisation there would be more options for shorter and taller people.

I am exactly 6ft and I was advised to take L frame. I feel that when my seat-post is fully extended, my ar$e is too high in relation to my handlebars. Maybe my legs are disproportionally long or something(?)
Luckily I ride a mullet (front 29” and rear 27.5”) which helps balance me on the bike.

So, perhaps leave front wheel as is for navigating over ditches or logs, and change rear to smaller wheel to fit your body preference. Then you set your rear wheel circumference to new value and you age GTG!
The disadvantage of the smaller wheel at the back with seat post fully extended is that my bike likes to pop a wheelie now and then... I am experimenting with dropping the seat to lower position while climbing, which I wouldn’t do on my analogue hard-tail.

Yes I'm already thinking of ways I can tweak it to suit if needed. And been watching lots of Geo/fitment vids on youtube!!!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Came across this on youtube. An xl sized enduro dude trying out a small trail bike :ROFLMAO: He was 1 sec slower on various sections but had more fun. That's a fairly extreme example re sizing - (smaller bars, cranks etc).
*440mm reach isn't actually all that small for a 27.5 bike (More like a medium really) and the LOAM RANGER is only 6ft tall... He just rides an XL because of the modern fashion trend to "size up"

*a size L 2020 29" TREK Session DH bike has shorter reach than his girlfriend's small Mojo

Tymon170

Jul 19, 2020
NZ
@sparked Only unasked questions are silly!

How else are you supposed to learn?

I will answer differently to most of those before. Yes, you can have too much travel. I can buy a 170 mm travel emtb or even more, but for me and where I ride it would be too much, too heavy and too barge like. Longer travel often comes with slacker geometries that can make twisting through the trees a bit more tricky (not impossible, of course). Longer travel bikes tend to be heavier too; stiffer and heavier forks, wider rims, stronger and heavier wheels and tyres and so forth.
I know that we are supposed to discount weight once we have an emtb because we have a motor to help, but I don't. There is a thread elsewhere on here on the topic and opinion is divided. I hold to the view that emtb lightness must not be pursued to extremes, like on XC analogue bikes, but a kilo here and a kilo there and soon it really does matter! Light bikes go further on the same battery, light bikes are more fun and more manoeuvrable (on and off the trail). Lighter bikes are easier to lift over gates, fences, stiles, roof-racks etc, especially when injured.

From what you have said something like this would be good. The Focus Thron2 130mm travel full suss emtb

But there are other lightweight shorter travel bikes out there. The Thron is just an example.
You have taken the words out of my mouth ! You can also look at the other two models The Sam and The Jam BUT ride them all first!! I have a Sam and it is a bit of a pain in tight niggely stuff but big swoop curves berms etc and its a darling and the Jam would be a good all rounder, once again ride all available models. Regards Chris

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Ok so thought I'd provide an update!

The Levo is out - the standover is too much for me. Lucky as I hadn't paid for it in full and was able to reverse out of the decision.
The EP8 delay rumours and also the wait until early Nov put me off - so that is now off the cards too.

But I bought a bike and will pick it up this arvo.

I went for the 2021 Liv Embolden E + 2 :) its plenty bike for me! I can stand over the Small frame ok, not a lot of clearance but enough. It might be a girls bike but it dont look like one, that new storm grey matte paint is seriously cool the bike looks hot. Rode very nice.. i do prefer how the brose motor delivers power and the low sound, but hey - I can't stand over them so cant own one! Specialized lost a sale for not catering to shorter riders! oh and I spent less $ - thats always nice. Figure I cn ride it and see how i go. If I need too upgrade anything I can do that in my own time.

thanks for all the comments, really helped me decide.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Ok so thought I'd provide an update!

The Levo is out - the standover is too much for me. Lucky as I hadn't paid for it in full and was able to reverse out of the decision.
The EP8 delay rumours and also the wait until early Nov put me off - so that is now off the cards too.

But I bought a bike and will pick it up this arvo.

I went for the 2021 Liv Embolden E + 2 :) its plenty bike for me! I can stand over the Small frame ok, not a lot of clearance but enough. It might be a girls bike but it dont look like one, that new storm grey matte paint is seriously cool the bike looks hot. Rode very nice.. i do prefer how the brose motor delivers power and the low sound, but hey - I can't stand over them so cant own one! Specialized lost a sale for not catering to shorter riders! oh and I spent less $ - thats always nice. Figure I cn ride it and see how i go. If I need too upgrade anything I can do that in my own time.

thanks for all the comments, really helped me decide.
I'd have no problem riding such a bike if I needed to :) It was a good decision not to get a bike that was too big. Going cheaper is also good, I believe, especially if you're on a learning curve. Use it, practice, learn, have fun. Just spend money on little things, like pedals and making the bike fit you (a seat?). If you're in steep country you might want to get a smaller chain ring (cheap) - the rest looks good :). If you do end up on rougher type rocky trails you could change tyres.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
EVER BOUGHT MORE EBIKE THAN YOU NEED AND REGRETTED IT?
That's a definite No.

But that made me think maybe I regret buying more bikes than I need. But no that's also a big No.

I'm so glad there's now a female here on the forums :D
Ladies & girls who ride emtb's are especially awesome. I see you're from Melbourne too which doubles that electro awesomeness. All I can say is get a size down from normal Kenevo and hit the Yarra trails followed by the You Yangs, followed by Mount Macedon followed by Forrest followed by etc etc :cool:

A Levo would be almost as good.
As I posted I saw you got a Liv (y)(y)

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
I would never ride a hard tail again tbh, dare I say their only benefit is they are less complicated. The jarring you get while riding them adds up (inflammation, fatigue) even on roads you'll find pot holes and drains.

If you by a small full sus bike chances are not only you'll never go back but your kids will be nicking it too once their big enough..

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
That's a definite No.

But that made me think maybe I regret buying more bikes than I need. But no that's also a big No.

I'm so glad there's now a female here on the forums :D
Ladies & girls who ride emtb's are especially awesome. I see you're from Melbourne too which doubles that electro awesomeness. All I can say is get a size down from normal Kenevo and hit the Yarra trails followed by the You Yangs, followed by Mount Macedon followed by Forrest followed by etc etc :cool:

A Levo would be almost as good.
As I posted I saw you got a Liv (y)(y)

Hello! I'm not the only one, there's a few others I've seen on here too :) Maybe I'll do a 'where's all the women emtb shredder post roll call post' - Should I post it in the newbies section or in here? Thoughts? Maybe @Rob Rides EMTB might think about making it a sticky so other women who come to the site see it???

Kenevo! Geez you had high ambitions for where my skill level is at :p and where it will end up at!

I'm actually living inner city, so the challenge until lockdown eases will be how to get off the concrete paths!

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Hello! I'm not the only one, there's a few others I've seen on here too :) Maybe I'll do a 'where's all the women emtb shredder post roll call post' - Should I post it in the newbies section or in here? Thoughts? Maybe @Rob Rides EMTB might think about making it a sticky so other women who come to the site see it???

Kenevo! Geez you had high ambitions for where my skill level is at :p and where it will end up at!

I'm actually living inner city, so the challenge until lockdown eases will be how to get off the concrete paths!
Check out this guy; there is some stuff close to inner city. Also the bike paths are awesome - you can travel to the outer burbs and around the city quite easily.

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Check out this guy; there is some stuff close to inner city. Also the bike paths are awesome - you can travel to the outer burbs and around the city quite easily.

yeh along the Maribyrnong River is great. Can ride a skinny dirt single track right next to the river and avoid the pedestrians.Keep going far enough and there’s dirt tracks, little steep sections and the local kids have even out in some trails in spots! That’s my closest.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Hah I knew you weren't but we need more ladies here ! That is happening and thinking about it Giant & Liv are a major factor. I think we'll soon see Specialized Lela & Kimevo or whatever they'll be called. Great idea!!! A Womens section makes so much sense.
yeh along the Maribyrnong River is great. Can ride a skinny dirt single track right next to the river and avoid the pedestrians.Keep going far enough and there’s dirt tracks, little steep sections and the local kids have even out in some trails in spots! That’s my closest.
Wow Long & Winding is fantastic!
That will be eased imminently and e-mtb's & especially e-commuters will greatly assist in the fight against covid.
Melbourne is possibly the best big city in the world for trails. Yarra trails are amongst my absolute favourites.

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Hah I knew you weren't but we need more ladies here ! That is happening and thinking about it Giant & Liv are a major factor. I think we'll soon see Specialized Lela & Kimevo or whatever they'll be called. Great idea!!! A Womens section makes so much sense.

Lela and Kimevo - oh my those names are brilliant ha!

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I’ve been ridding Maribyrnong, Moonee Ponds and Merri creek trails.
Maribyrnong has some cool sections for urban areas. Theres a few sections you have to jump fences to get to some cool trails.
Moonee ponds trail has a couple cool bits and a secret skills area.
One good thing to come out of covid I suppose is finding all these local trails and surprisingly really nice scenery.

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
I’ve been ridding Maribyrnong, Moonee Ponds and Merri creek trails.
Maribyrnong has some cool sections for urban areas. Theres a few sections you have to jump fences to get to some cool trails.
Moonee ponds trail has a couple cool bits and a secret skills area.
One good thing to come out of covid I suppose is finding all these local trails and surprisingly really nice scenery.

I can't even go that far now... i'm ascot vale/kensington area so Avondale H is outside my 5km. My partner has also seen the Police/Army occasionally out wandering around on the river too. So in a few weeks when we can go further I'll go further!

The other day I saw a guy riding a Giant Trance or Reign, couldnt quite make out which.. riding alongside the Flemington Racecourse.. He rode on every bit of grass he could - amused me. EMTB (and MTBs in general) turn us into kids again!

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Hahaha thats exactly what I do. I also try and jump off every feature I can.
Re the Police/Military, they couldn't give two shits. Ive seen people walk past them with no masks and they say nothing. I think they’re just out for essential exercise too.
If your in ascot vale surely you’ve been to Footscray Quarry park?

sparked

Jun 6, 2020
Melbourne
Hahaha thats exactly what I do. I also try and jump off every feature I can.
Re the Police/Military, they couldn't give two shits. Ive seen people walk past them with no masks and they say nothing. I think they’re just out for essential exercise too.
If your in ascot vale surely you’ve been to Footscray Quarry park?

Nah not yet, each tiime I've been past too many kids. Will check it out during the week when its quieter.

I do play on the pump track in Kensington though! That looks funny :p I mean me riding on it!

Reactions: CjP

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Nah not yet, each tiime I've been past too many kids. Will check it out during the week when its quieter.

I do play on the pump track in Kensington though! That looks funny :p I mean me riding on it!
Oh man, don't be silly! Go there anytime, heaps of different types of people use the park. Some people even use it as walking tracks. I love smashing those trails and watching them dive bomb out of the way.
Its a really good place to learn some skills.
The Kensington jump track used to be my go to urban playground before I discovered mountains.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Slightly off topic but eMTB is such a strength/gender/size/age equaliser. I see increasing number of seniors taking interest in New Forest area.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Slightly off topic but eMTB is such a strength/gender/size/age equaliser.
er... not really.
adding a battery powered motor to help propell the bike isn't going to suddenly give weak little old ladies the ability to handle a mountainbike like a big strong young guy can... just get up the hills easier.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have a rather large age gap relationship. We have a lot in common but my young lady being as big or strong as me isn't something I'd ever be thankful of. ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles