Evening/night ride from East Sussex. Dates info within thread starter

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
With some apprehension it has been decided to expand the numbers on our local group rides from Crowborough, and as such an open ride is planned* to take place at some stage over the next month.
As the ride is probably going to be open to all, it has been decided that either a Friday or Saturday evening would probably suit the majority, and the suggested dates are either the weekend starting 31st August/1st September or 7th/8th September with a ride start time of 6.30pm (ish)

Now for the tricky part. The chosen route for this ride is 23 miles and 2,400ft of elevation gain ( both to be confirmed) and it is by no means a fast ride and infact the average speed for the most part probably won't be much above 8mph, with some parts being slower. There will be faster sections to the ride, but it is predominantly a very tight and technical single track ride, where roots, narrow gaps between trees and mud, will dictate the pace. There is also high risk of pedal strike on full suspension bikes.

Approx half a mile into the ride, there is a stream crossing, which leads straight into a short sharp bank that to date, no one has managed to ride up. I've got half way up, but that is sadly it for me. That one bank shown below, is the only part of the ride that should require anyone to push their bike.

z2ed.jpg

There are two stream crossings, both of which are currently fine, but that isn't to say that they will be during the ride, so expect the worse, in respect of either having to carry the bike, or just ride it through.

As said, in places the ride is exceptionally narrow in places and there is some banks that run parallel to the trails, which are also used, but these don't have to ridden.
One riding technique that is of benefit though, is the ability to either lift the front wheel to get over obstacles, or to bunny hop. There aren't many places that this will be necessary, but the ride does involve having to cross a few sections of ruts created by 4x4 vehicles. It is no big deal to stop and lift the bike, and everyone on the ride, is expected ride at the pace of the slowest rider, and assist where required. I did take my first fall in about two years, trying one of the sections this evening.

Without question, there is going to be mud and water, as some parts of the ride, never dry out. Those sections are also pretty boggy, but can be powered through, and they are easier to ride through than they are to walk. With this in mind though, I do have to point out that this route has caused the failure of two drive units and also caused major chain suck and thrown chains.

One other issue is power settings. Whilst the route isn't overly long, it can potentially take a toll on the battery, and if you like to use high power settings, you aren't likely to finish the ride, and when myself and another lad tried the route on the highest power settings (Yamaha and Bosch) we only just got past the 15 mile point. That was in the winner though, and we are going to give the ride a dry run over the next week or so.

Lights will be required, and it is strongly advised that eye protection of some form is also worn, as there are many low branches.

*Finally, a disclaimer.
Anyone taking part in this ride does so at there own risk, and no liability is accepted for either damage to the bike or property, or for personal injury. By taking part in this ride, you have openly accepted full responsibility. This aspect of the ride currently has a few people edgy, and has lead the apprehension of allowing others to join the rides, and sadly still might hinder things.

Just as example, this is how the bike might well return after the ride.

zm7.jpg zm10.jpg

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
Update.

It has been decided (not by me) that the ride is no longer going to be open and available to riders from outside the existing local group. Very sorry about that.

The reason being that the vast percentage of the ride was going to be on land that is of a sensitive nature, and it was felt by some in the group that it only takes one person to use Strava or similar for the ride, and the privacy that we currently enjoy could be lost.

I can understand this reasoning, as exactly that happened several years ago, on another local woodland, and now people travel from miles away to use it.

Cyclejunkie

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Deal Kent
With some apprehension it has been decided to expand the numbers on our local group rides from Crowborough, and as such an open ride is planned* to take place at some stage over the next month.
As the ride is probably going to be open to all, it has been decided that either a Friday or Saturday evening would probably suit the majority, and the suggested dates are either the weekend starting 31st August/1st September or 7th/8th September with a ride start time of 6.30pm (ish)

Now for the tricky part. The chosen route for this ride is 23 miles and 2,400ft of elevation gain ( both to be confirmed) and it is by no means a fast ride and infact the average speed for the most part probably won't be much above 8mph, with some parts being slower. There will be faster sections to the ride, but it is predominantly a very tight and technical single track ride, where roots, narrow gaps between trees and mud, will dictate the pace. There is also high risk of pedal strike on full suspension bikes.

Approx half a mile into the ride, there is a stream crossing, which leads straight into a short sharp bank that to date, no one has managed to ride up. I've got half way up, but that is sadly it for me. That one bank shown below, is the only part of the ride that should require anyone to push their bike.

View attachment 3980

There are two stream crossings, both of which are currently fine, but that isn't to say that they will be during the ride, so expect the worse, in respect of either having to carry the bike, or just ride it through.

As said, in places the ride is exceptionally narrow in places and there is some banks that run parallel to the trails, which are also used, but these don't have to ridden.
One riding technique that is of benefit though, is the ability to either lift the front wheel to get over obstacles, or to bunny hop. There aren't many places that this will be necessary, but the ride does involve having to cross a few sections of ruts created by 4x4 vehicles. It is no big deal to stop and lift the bike, and everyone on the ride, is expected ride at the pace of the slowest rider, and assist where required. I did take my first fall in about two years, trying one of the sections this evening.

Without question, there is going to be mud and water, as some parts of the ride, never dry out. Those sections are also pretty boggy, but can be powered through, and they are easier to ride through than they are to walk. With this in mind though, I do have to point out that this route has caused the failure of two drive units and also caused major chain suck and thrown chains.

One other issue is power settings. Whilst the route isn't overly long, it can potentially take a toll on the battery, and if you like to use high power settings, you aren't likely to finish the ride, and when myself and another lad tried the route on the highest power settings (Yamaha and Bosch) we only just got past the 15 mile point. That was in the winner though, and we are going to give the ride a dry run over the next week or so.

Lights will be required, and it is strongly advised that eye protection of some form is also worn, as there are many low branches.

*Finally, a disclaimer.
Anyone taking part in this ride does so at there own risk, and no liability is accepted for either damage to the bike or property, or for personal injury. By taking part in this ride, you have openly accepted full responsibility. This aspect of the ride currently has a few people edgy, and has lead the apprehension of allowing others to join the rides, and sadly still might hinder things.

Just as example, this is how the bike might well return after the ride.

View attachment 3981 View attachment 3982
Thanks for spending the time for such a in depth discription of the planned ride good on yer....sounded awesome perfectly understand your second post enjoy the ride.

Last edited by a moderator:

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
I'm sure that we could sort something out, especially in respect of the bank. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles