Etrance bar and stem

Silato

Nov 29, 2018
Manchester UK
Just wondering if anyone has changed the bars and stem on their etrance.
I bought a renthal riser bar and was thinking of getting a 35mm stem.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Just wondering if anyone has changed the bars and stem on their etrance.
I bought a renthal riser bar and was thinking of getting a 35mm stem.
Yup, first thing I upgraded on the bike was the bar and stem.

Felt the giant bar had too much sweep and narrow, felt like a xc bike to me. Giant specs say the bars are 800m wide , my renthals are 10-20mm wider when I put them side by side. I got the 30mm rise but considering going to 40mm for more downhill focused geometry/body position.

I think my stem is 35mm (maybe shorter) and makes the bike more playful and responsive. Not sure why the original was so long, don't really need maximum climbing efficiency on the EMTB
20190426_150723.jpg

Silato

Nov 29, 2018
Manchester UK
Yup, first thing I upgraded on the bike was the bar and stem.

Felt the giant bar had too much sweep and narrow, felt like a xc bike to me. Giant specs say the bars are 800m wide , my renthals are 10-20mm wider when I put them side by side. I got the 30mm rise but considering going to 40mm for more downhill focused geometry/body position.

I think my stem is 35mm (maybe shorter) and makes the bike more playful and responsive. Not sure why the original was so long, don't really need maximum climbing efficiency on the EMTB View attachment 14576
Looks smart. Looking forward to getting a 35mm stem on mine now.

Mike__

Jun 16, 2019
Australia
Quick google search bought me here...

Bought my trance e +1 in Australia 2days ago. When I test rode the bike it felt great apart from a low front end (was aware of this beforehand looking at the numbers) but was on sale / too good looking and well equipped to turn down - though wish we had the black and blue +2 here in Australia available.

I’ve tweaked everything (oem) to get my weight back and the front end higher so a similar feel to my faithful 2011 Reign 1 but it just ain’t happening and considering selling. I’m aware the ebike has extra mass over the front / long chainstays. Will a stem and riser bar swap really transform the bike or just a tweak? Guess I wanted a little more of a ‘playful’ bike...

Mike

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Mike, are you talking quick steering or easy to chuck around?

If you mean quick steering, then ironically last years giant full e pro might be closer to what you're after (67 head angle ) - where in oz are you ( I''m in gippsland if you'd like to ride one)

Silato

Nov 29, 2018
Manchester UK
Quick google search bought me here...

Bought my trance e +1 in Australia 2days ago. When I test rode the bike it felt great apart from a low front end (was aware of this beforehand looking at the numbers) but was on sale / too good looking and well equipped to turn down - though wish we had the black and blue +2 here in Australia available.

I’ve tweaked everything (oem) to get my weight back and the front end higher so a similar feel to my faithful 2011 Reign 1 but it just ain’t happening and considering selling. I’m aware the ebike has extra mass over the front / long chainstays. Will a stem and riser bar swap really transform the bike or just a tweak? Guess I wanted a little more of a ‘playful’ bike...

Mike
I've fitted a renthal riser bar with a 35mm nukeproof stem. Steering is sharper and has enabled me to move the seat further back and get the front end up a little easier for bunny hops etc. The bikes slack head angle and long chain stay still don't make it as easy to throw around as some other ebikes but on the downhills it's solid and stable. I'm still getting back into mountain biking from a long time out and I'm 45 now. So the stable platform the etrance provides is ideal.

Mike__

Jun 16, 2019
Australia
Mike, are you talking quick steering or easy to chuck around?

If you mean quick steering, then ironically last years giant full e pro might be closer to what you're after (67 head angle ) - where in oz are you ( I''m in gippsland if you'd like to ride one)

Hi PDOZ - more weight rear biased / lighter front end feel. So I guess that’ll be a little slower steering and to achieve this a little definitely a higher cockpit. Bars are the same width as my 450 d’bike. Guess I’m a little old school with updates to the industry
I’m from Perth. Didn’t dig the look of the full e but nor did I test ride. Appreciate the offer

Mike

Mike__

Jun 16, 2019
Australia
I've fitted a renthal riser bar with a 35mm nukeproof stem. Steering is sharper and has enabled me to move the seat further back and get the front end up a little easier for bunny hops etc. The bikes slack head angle and long chain stay still don't make it as easy to throw around as some other ebikes but on the downhills it's solid and stable. I'm still getting back into mountain biking from a long time out and I'm 45 now. So the stable platform the etrance provides is ideal.

Hi silato, a lighter front end / more leverage to bunny hop is what I’m seeking. I’m 181cm /76kg /39yrs old riding a size medium and it’s a fair bit of effort to lift the front end for a bunny hop. Yes +10kg over my regular bike so it’s never going to feel the same but additional leverage with the cockpit pulled back a little I think would help as you’e posted

My seat is moved all the way back I think moving the bars back may cramp me a little . Set back post would help but not sure how I’d go about that with the dropper. First bike with a dropper - yet to start using it to see what all the fuss is about

Agreed with the stability comment. Hit some rough stuff at speed the other day (yet to hit proper trails yet) and it stomped over straight as an arrow

Appreciate the replies boys

Report back when I do the swap

Mike

Silato

Nov 29, 2018
Manchester UK
Hi silato, a lighter front end / more leverage to bunny hop is what I’m seeking. I’m 181cm /76kg /39yrs old riding a size medium and it’s a fair bit of effort to lift the front end for a bunny hop. Yes +10kg over my regular bike so it’s never going to feel the same but additional leverage with the cockpit pulled back a little I think would help as you’e posted

My seat is moved all the way back I think moving the bars back may cramp me a little . Set back post would help but not sure how I’d go about that with the dropper. First bike with a dropper - yet to start using it to see what all the fuss is about

Agreed with the stability comment. Hit some rough stuff at speed the other day (yet to hit proper trails yet) and it stomped over straight as an arrow

Appreciate the replies boys

Report back when I do the swap

Mike
This was my first bike with a dropper and to be honest I hate riding my scott Hardtail now due to it not having one its great being able to drop the seat out of the way. The weight is definitely what makes the difference for me, my technique isn't great but since having the ebike I seem to be able to throw lighter non ebikes about quite well.
Lol. Maybe it's not the weight but my technique. I've watched Tom Cardy on you tube, he's only a small lad yet throws his haibike ebmtb around easilier enough(annoyingly good lol)
Be interested to hear how you go, take care.

Reactions: iXi

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Didn’t dig the look of the full e but nor did I test ride. Appreciate the offer

Mike

What, you're not into giant rainbows? Dressed in black she's not as fugly.

I think I know where you're coming from with the old school thing - I've got a 2010 trance and love how nimble it feels. VERY close to the feeling of the full e . Sure, I'm faster ( and safer) on my 2017 norco , but every time I play on that old trance I come back smiling.

For what it's worth, the things that seemed to help replicate that feel - higher and more swept back bars (nukeproof horizon 25 mm rise $120 ish from chainreaction ) , I've also gradually worked my way back in stem length - at first I found anything short felt too twitchy, but as my confidence in the bike improved the headshakes disappeared ( or perhaps my suspension tune improved?) .

In a week I'll be extending the forks out from 140 mm to 160 mm in an attempt to keep up with my daughter on the down hill straights - I'm REALY hoping this doesn't lose too much of the flickable feel, but I guess it's only a $90 mod so going back is no big deal.

49C2FEDF-8941-4A8A-B8FF-6AEBE3606337.jpeg

Mike__

Jun 16, 2019
Australia
Pdoz: full e in black looks the goods! Just noticed giant also made a sx version of the full e

You’re right, just checked out the geometry numbers and the full e should feel how I want. Battery placement also appears more rearward and lower. Rewinding back a little my reign was electrified for a few years with various setups, the last being 4500watts, handled it like a champ @ 28.5kg. that’s not what this forum or topic is about but I’ve attached a photo for giggles ?

The front axle to bar height difference between my two bikes is 30mm so a bar change and the forks lengthed by 10mm which can be done on the 36’s should work out and the same numbers as the sx model. A little cramped so may hold out on the stem. Not much local what in after in Perth so going to have to order online tonight
7DB496A7-7BB9-4086-961B-4CC508052816.jpeg
. Appreciate the advice

Mike

Mike__

Jun 16, 2019
Australia
New renthal bar finally arrived. The raised bar height is much better and a little more roomier. Downside is the bar sits a little further forward than what I’d like for weight bias.

didn’t think there would be too much difference with a lesser 2deg sweep than there is. new bar is a little narrower @ 760mm to suit Where I like to ride. A shorter raised stem will bring the bars a little shorter but maybe make the steering a little twitchy since im running narrower bars.

Overall the bike feels much better combined with lesser sag in the front and increased in the rear. I think the next step is extending the forks a little to 160mm. Anybody done this yet ? That motor hangs way too low due to the maestro suspension design, I’ve already nailed the guard multiple time and im yet to hit the trails I like to ride which are littered in decent rocks

Mike

42127D39-5E6F-4058-89E8-6E91CEC850B2.jpeg

Rawry

Nov 27, 2018
Cleveland
Have the sx 0 pro the first things i changed was the seat and then i put 35mm renthal bars on and the spare riser you get with the bike feels far better now

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia
I think the next step is extending the forks a little to 160mm. Anybody done this yet ?

I have the exact same bars and love them, I have done the 160mm air canister upgrade to my Fox Floats and can say that I like it, the difference is noticeable but not dramatic, still worth it in my opinion. I found that on tight cornering I had to change my weight bias to be a small amount more forward than normal but I got used to it easily.
I also changed my seat to a WTB Volt Team and that was a big difference in comfort for me plus it was about half the weight of the stock saddle.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
I have the exact same bars and love them, I have done the 160mm air canister upgrade to my Fox Floats and can say that I like it, the difference is noticeable but not dramatic, still worth it in my opinion. I found that on tight cornering I had to change my weight bias to be a small amount more forward than normal but I got used to it easily.
I also changed my seat to a WTB Volt Team and that was a big difference in comfort for me plus it was about half the weight of the stock saddle.
Can I ask where you got your 160mm air canister upgrade from? And would you say it's a job to be attempted by a hobbyist mechanic like me?

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Can I ask where you got your 160mm air canister upgrade from? And would you say it's a job to be attempted by a hobbyist mechanic like me?
Sorry mate, not sure, as I am lazy and I got my LBS to do it, the bike was already in for rim repairs and so I got them to do the whole thing. From memory the canister was under $100 and I got new fork seals at the same time and they where approx $40.

Mike__

Jun 16, 2019
Australia
Pdoz - mangled. Did you purchase one of those ?

Rawry - what extra riser does the sx come with ? Stem spacer ?

Rob - this air cannister?
Fox Racing 36mm EVOL Air Shaft assembly 2018-2020
I have a spare wtb volt but in white. Yeh the giant seat is a little harsh

I’ll make a few calls next week about the air cylinder install. I do like to run the front end firm and since increasing the fork pressure to 105psi has helped the feel of the bike for me.

First real ride out to the Kalamunda trails outside of Perth tomorrow to test this bike out.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Pdoz - mangled. Did you purchase one of those ?

As far as I can tell, nobody makes an aftermarket bashplate for my 2018 full e pro. That company I linked to do build alloy plates for the 2017 non pro full e , but I'm not about to sink $ without being certain it fits (I don't speak french)

Meanwhile, I whipped up something temporary out of fiberglass and am contemplating refining the design to give myself a bit more ground clearance ( at least whilst I want for the replacement )

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Thanks, though according to this article the fox 36 e bike specific fork uses a 34mm air spring assembly. Scroll 1/3 - 1/2 way down

FOX 34 e-bike optimised fork - what's different? Read our first impressions.
That article is correct - fox ebike forks go down a size. So your 36's run 34 internals, and my 34's run 32 internals. It even confuses the experts - I spent a couple of months waiting a 160 mm upgrade to my 34's only to find out they had sent conventional 34 mm bits....grrrrrrr!!!

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018

Mike__

Jun 16, 2019
Australia
Pdoz- aluminium wouldn’t be too hard to work with, f/g may shatter ?

Good to know the fork is actually ebike optimised structurally

First proper ride on the trails today. 760mm bar I think spot on for me as only a few light scrapes with trees. I don’t think I’ll change the stem, very impressed with it how it performed up and downhill. I’ll probably extend the fork to lift the bb as a pedal strike twisted my lhs crank. That and shorter cranks.

Off topic - but Today I did the same loop on my reign (2 uphills / 2 downhills) That i average 31-32minutes. 21-22min on the trance e today. Bike is incredible

Mike

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles