Etiquette

JackieA

Aug 10, 2020
Lancashire
Am 7 months post a major surgery and aged 77. Rode my Espark round Preston Guild Wheel today as the second ride post op. Had changed back to a lighter tyre and loved the bike again as with the company I was with had hardly needed assistance.

May I open a can of worms? Why do Ebike riders, when out with others on more traditional steeds zoom towards the horizon? The assistance can be used at slow speed to encourage others and not to effectively say “ I’m alright Jack”

pmcdonald

Oct 22, 2021
NSW, Australia
Great to hear about your recovery and return to riding

Why do Ebike riders, when out with others on more traditional steeds zoom towards the horizon?

Is that a thing? Sounds like a terrific way to thin out your social bubble.

If I'm riding with unpowered friends I'll ride at their pace by cutting the motor or dropping it down to neuter the added weight. It's called not being a tool. If out solo or with ebike friends then it's full speed. In those situations time is usually limited and I want to maximise my runs.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
It's so we can bully non ebike riders into joining the 21st century ;)

Thats also a thing in groups of riders who all ride non electric. I dont think theres any big deal about it, people tend to ride at the pace theyre comfortable with. But in most instances folk all tend to stick together as theres always a reason to stop and have a chinwag and a laugh. If a rider shoots off ahead, he'll stop and others willll catch up and everyone will take the opportunity to have another wee chat.

Someone who rides constantly ahead will quickly run out of friends wanting to go cycling with them.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Someone who rides constantly ahead will quickly run out of friends wanting to go cycling with them.

You just reminded me of a guy from about 40 years ago. My crew rode motorcycles in the desert. A coworker, Chris, was a good rider and was reasonably cool, so we invited him along for a handful of trips. When he was with us, he was kind of insistent on the trails that we would ride. As you know, which trail you take isn't really a matter of great importance, so we went along. At first there didn't seem to be anything amiss. It took a while to see the pattern. One day I stopped to regroup, my other buddy caught up, and Chris never showed. Where was Chris? All we could surmise was that he had suggested another trail, but we chose the one we did, and he chose his trail over us. That's fine, but it was clear that although we went riding together, he wasn't riding with us.

That's just me rambling again. Sorry. What I should have said is, "There are nearly seven billion people on this Earth. Ride with many, and eventually you'll find some who ride about the same level as you, and who are so cool that you'd be friends even without the bikes." Those are the BEST sorts of rides. Those are the BEST sorts of friends.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When I'm on my own, I ride at my own pace. My own pace could be fast or slow depending upon how I'm feeling that day. It will also depend upon my objectives: am I just out for a ride, doing some trail maintenance, or just exploring....whatever?

But when I'm with someone else, we ride together. I really don't care whether I'm in front, somewhere in the middle, or at the back. On the various sections gaps will open up of course as rider's abilities vary, but the more riders there are the more frequent the stops to allow the group to consolidate and to do a headcount. Headcounts are necessary when the group is more than half a dozen or so and not all the group knows everyone. It is easy to miss the quiet guy who may be laid unconscious in a ditch somewhere. I once lost half the group within 5 mins of setting off because one of the guys in the middle took a wrong turn and all the others followed him! Yes John, you know who you are. :p

But irrespective of the size of the group, we stick together. If someone wants to leave the group for any reason (tired, mechanical, times up, bored, injured, whatever), then they MUST have the basic good manners and consideration to say so and not just quietly leave. That avoids the rest of us looking for them at the next stopping point. I have experienced that and it is not fun at all. It is of course a complete waste of time for everyone and very irritating when you find out the person in question just decided to go their own way without a word.

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
If someone wants to leave the group for any reason (tired, mechanical, times up, bored, injured, whatever), then they MUST have the basic good manners and consideration to say so and not just quietly leave. That avoids the rest of us looking for them at the next stopping point.

We wasted the better half of a day looking for a rider who just left w/o a word. New rule for our group: Tell us if you're done and need to leave or you never ride with us again...

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
I ride with a small group of old farts of varying ability/speed on routes they usually leave me to plot..we stick together....except one silly sod who "thinks " he knows the route charges off in front , usually takes the wrong turning and ploughs on regardless until some poor sod (me ) has to race after him .......it might be Alzheimer's! his or mine??

SPOKES members outing.jpg

combined age 237..... I think

Daev

E*POWAH Master
Jan 15, 2022
Cornwall
I got no mates 😞
60 and eleven twelfths and never ride with anyone else, road or trails - try to get out twice a week, one of each.
I rode Mtb with my son and a few friends for a while when he introduced me to Mtb on Cannock Chase and the Welsh trails ( coed-y-brennin, Gwydyr, Snowdon ) for a while about 25 years ago, but every ride out since then solitary.
Perfectly happy with it though, guess I'm not much of a team player. Love zoning out when I'm on the bike, especially singletracking, man and machine as one 😁👍
I ALWAYS smile and wave though.... and up until I bought my emtb nearly always shouted 'cheat!!' after the 70+ year olds on roadbikes, overtaking me on hills, me sweating like a trooper, lungs on the floor, them wrapped up warm, no hint of sweat and SMILING (for the love of God!!) - took me a while to realise what was going on 😂😂😂.
Having since bought the electric I've realised, it may be a cheat but WHAT A CHEAT!! - love it 😁👍

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Am 7 months post a major surgery and aged 77. Rode my Espark round Preston Guild Wheel today as the second ride post op. Had changed back to a lighter tyre and loved the bike again as with the company I was with had hardly needed assistance.

May I open a can of worms? Why do Ebike riders, when out with others on more traditional steeds zoom towards the horizon? The assistance can be used at slow speed to encourage others and not to effectively say “ I’m alright Jack”
One reason for this especially in winter months is to stay warm ..
With the best will in the world even in eco you are going to be using less effort than your non assisted mates and if the temperature is cold / freezing ..then you are going to be too..trying to keep your pace to theirs ..of course you could always switch the motor off ( but that's not why I bought an ebike ) 😁

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles