Error codeWO11?

FOG

Oct 5, 2018
Sheffield UK
I have only had my eSentier a couple weeks and have ridden about 4 -5 times. However on 2 of these rides the thing has stopped dead showing a WO11 error code. According to the handbook this means 'Speed cannot be read check sensor instillation'. On both occasions I was in Boost going up short sharp climbs pedalling hard when the code appeared.After pushing for a bit the display returned to normal and I was able to carry on. It has been pretty muddy lately but surely this would not interfere with the sensor? Anybody any ideas how to avoid this? After all the main reason I bought the bike was to get up steep hills .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Check the spoke magnet that the chain stay sensor uses to get the reading form is done up tight - its quite common for this to get a bit loose over time and slip a bit.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
to clarify

Screenshot 2018-12-11 at 19.43.01.png

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
I also had a W011 fault yesterday, first time in 800 miles, similar conditions in boost up a rough hill climb. Magnet and sensor were tight and aligned properly. After the ride, I updated firmware from 4.5.1 to 4.6.0.

Rode today, almost all boost, 32°, no issues on much rougher terrain. Not going to worry about this one.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Wo11 can come from dirt ingress in the 3 connections on top of the motor, mainly the speed sensor with the key way slot , clean them and smear some grease over the top to seal them , also clean the conectors in the display , lots of crap get thrown under there too and it’s a area that gets missed .

FOG

Oct 5, 2018
Sheffield UK
Thanks for all the suggestions. Kernow I presume you mean the big keyed plug that sits to the left of the motor in front of two smaller connectors? I have cleaned that area out and greased the contacts but it didn't appear to be particularly dirty. Incidentally, why are these very important contacts covered with a pathetically flimsy plastic cover that wouldn't survive any serious rock strike and hasn't even got any form of seal to keep the crap out?

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
The 3 plugs here are the ones that can get dust or mud in them .
The main conector with the two pins on the front left seems well sealed .

I agree the little plastic cover is crap , I always put some insulating tape over the top edge to stop water etc running directly in . However the motor is open all round so muck and water can get in from everywhere really , esoecially at the rear around the rear pivot area where cables and wires normally route .
It’s well sealed as a unit , just those 3 connections that let it down .
Hope yours lasts longer than mine ,Iam being sent a new motor currently after increasing fault codes and final failure to re start

F926F98B-689E-42CB-8DD6-5F3399B758FF.png

Reactions: njn

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Iam being sent a new motor currently after increasing fault codes and final failure to re start

Were you able to go through Shimano directly? Let us know how the swap goes. Last time I dealt with Shimano, it went very well, even though I had to go through a LBS.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
It went back to shimano France , commencal were great they sent a paid post label and I removed the motor . They also gave me the option of using a uk shimano dealer but I would probably have had to pay labour .
Shimano France were useless took 4 weeks to do a 45k test on the motor and found no fault so sent it back , 6 weeks in total no bike , commencal sent a new battery cable to try , as o had already tried every other part of the system .
The fault occurred again in 20 miles , I took a video this time and once again the motor has gone back , commencal are now sending me a new motor and fighting shimano France for the warranty I guess .
It was a pain because the fault I was getting was intermittent , and even after becoming dead the motor re started again 2 days later and ran ok for 2 rides .
My code was e010 then wo13 on Re boot or if it re booted it gave the eo10 again as soon as I pedaled .
Hoping it’s just a problem with some early shimano motors because it’s been a real pain in the ass

mxkauai

Jan 12, 2019
Hawaii
It went back to shimano France , commencal were great they sent a paid post label and I removed the motor . They also gave me the option of using a uk shimano dealer but I would probably have had to pay labour .
Shimano France were useless took 4 weeks to do a 45k test on the motor and found no fault so sent it back , 6 weeks in total no bike , commencal sent a new battery cable to try , as o had already tried every other part of the system .
The fault occurred again in 20 miles , I took a video this time and once again the motor has gone back , commencal are now sending me a new motor and fighting shimano France for the warranty I guess .
It was a pain because the fault I was getting was intermittent , and even after becoming dead the motor re started again 2 days later and ran ok for 2 rides .
My code was e010 then wo13 on Re boot or if it re booted it gave the eo10 again as soon as I pedaled .
Hoping it’s just a problem with some early shimano motors because it’s been a real pain in the ass
I think I have the same error as you in my 4 month old e7000 motor. Started with occasionally e043, now getting w013 followed by e010. Got this error x1day it went away and I got 2 rides in but came back today at end of ride and still there now if I try to turn on bike

domi_89

Mar 23, 2020
Switzerland
Just had this w011 error on my brand new yt decoy. Anybody knows how to solve it?

Hi, guys :) I'm new here and I have searched the forum, because I also had the error "W011" on my Shimano bike. Now I could get to the bottom of the error... The rear wheel axle of my Shimano bike had loosened a bit, so the bike didn't run perfectly round anymore. As a result, the magnet was sometimes too far away from the receiver during the rotations and the error occurred - that simple! So if the magnet is ok and you still get the error, check your wheel axle ;)
I hope I can help some of you in the future with this post.
p.s. at my Propain Ekano the magnet is screwed directly to the brake disc.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
For convenience I'm posting my W011 error and cause here too - it might help someone. I upgraded my rear rotor from 180 to 203mm. The new rotor didn't have a magnet, so I epoxied one on the arm in the right location. The magnet I used is only 5mm x 1mm, but it was working normal. For two days :ROFLMAO:. Weird. On my third ride I had the W011 error mid ride. I troubleshot trackside and couldn't get it to work consistently - I'd get assistance for about 6 pedal strokes, then nothing for a random time. When I was about to take it into the shop for a hopeful warranty repair, I tried putting another magnet on top of the existing one - voila! I have since superglued that magnet in place on top of the other and all seems good. I have no idea why it stopped working, unless the magnet has lost some of it's strength. They are mounted on an aluminium arm, so it hasn't been losing magnetism through a steel medium.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
Be warned - I took my E8000 to a local bike shop (not where I bought the bike) with a creaking BB and W011 appearing on steep, slippery climbs with the same issues as above. 700 miles on motor.

Was told " This error code means you will get a new motor" as my e8000 is 1.5 years old. No ifs. No buts.

OK, great I thought, it will cost labour to remove/send motor but a new motor would be worth it. Upshot - Madison tested it, couldn't replicate the error sent motor back and I had a £115 bill from the LBC.

When I asked can I buy a new motor " No - they are all different for different bikes" ergo you need to go back to manufacturer.

Moral of the story - get your Emtb from an outlet with a good support history. This is doubly important for Emtb and beware false promises....

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Be warned - I took my E8000 to a local bike shop (not where I bought the bike) with a creaking BB and W011 appearing on steep, slippery climbs with the same issues as above. 700 miles on motor.

Was told " This error code means you will get a new motor" as my e8000 is 1.5 years old. No ifs. No buts.

OK, great I thought, it will cost labour to remove/send motor but a new motor would be worth it. Upshot - Madison tested it, couldn't replicate the error sent motor back and I had a £115 bill from the LBC.

When I asked can I buy a new motor " No - they are all different for different bikes" ergo you need to go back to manufacturer.

Moral of the story - get your Emtb from an outlet with a good support history. This is doubly important for Emtb and beware false promises....
I dont think your LBS are being straight with you here - I have had two new E8000 motors under warranty, both involved my LBS (which I didnt get the bike from) running the tests, then sending motor off to Madison. New motor turns up in the shimano packaging and there is no "specific ness about it, the motor is the motor, and should just bolt straight in.

Strange they wouldnt warranty it!

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
I dont think your LBS are being straight with you here - I have had two new E8000 motors under warranty, both involved my LBS (which I didnt get the bike from) running the tests, then sending motor off to Madison. New motor turns up in the shimano packaging and there is no "specific ness about it, the motor is the motor, and should just bolt straight in.

Strange they wouldnt warranty it!
I was shocked TBH.

The LBS stated the error code meant a new motor, nothing about it having to be replicated by Madison.

Madison were adamant that if they could replicate the code, just once a new motor would ensure.

It seems a lot of inconsistencies here. Maybe Madison have fewer e8000 is stock due to the COVID issues ?

I feel rather bruised after all this. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy what the E-Mtb brings to my experience of off road MTB however after my first 1.5 years would never be without a good old analogue bike as well.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Madison do have to replicate the problem, or find a problem, to supply a new motor - on one of mine they could replicate the codes, but couldn't find the actual problem, but still sent a new motor - that was a year ago though.

My LBS was great, and made sure they could replicate the error codes before sending off the motor.

There are rumours that there are very few, if any "spare" motors in the UK due to Covid holding up delivery, so you may have a point.

Any way I have a motor being sent off next week, but its making a lot of noise as I suspect the bearings have gone, so will see what happens.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
Wow you are a motor test bench !

I think the issue was with complacency on behalf of the LBS - I will not name and shame here thats not fair as its a personal relationship.

The key statement you make is that the LBS ensured the error code could be replicated. Mine didn't. I would have been happy with him just checking the bike and saying carry on using until the W011 code is more common.

One lives and learns eh !

Thanks for the support; these forums really help ones understanding.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
To be fair its a new world for a lot of these shops, and many dont have that much experience with the whole warranty procedure.

Mr P

Jul 4, 2022
Edinburgh
Had the WO11 fault on E8000, tried cleaning terminals on motor and display screen ensuring each plug is fitted properly by clicking each plug into place. However it didn’t resolve the issue.

Having read comments from Urastus, I tried a second magnet which solved the issue. Big thank you! I then removed the second magnet and adjusted the magnet on the spokes to line up nearer to the bolt head end of the sensor which secures the sensor to the frame. The magnet had previously been lined up with the sensor itself (thin part of the sensor), I probably only moved the magnet 20mm for it to resolve the problem. This worked and the second magnet was no longer required.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles