Error code 71, PW-X2 motor. All Mountain 7

Steve b

Apr 11, 2021
Peak District
On a ride yesterday my motor kept cutting out and showing Error Code 71. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so is there a DIY fix or does it need to go back to the bike shop? Bike is less than 2 years old and on its 2nd motor, All Mountain 7. Thanks

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Looks like it's either a battery fault or with the controller (part of the motor) :(

1650557561532.png

Mitchb

Nov 13, 2021
San Diego
On a ride yesterday my motor kept cutting out and showing Error Code 71. Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so is there a DIY fix or does it need to go back to the bike shop? Bike is less than 2 years old and on its 2nd motor, All Mountain 7. Thanks
Yes, I have a Yamaha ydx moro and have the problem right now. In my case Im waiting for Yamaha to fix it under warranty. I concluded it happens when hitting harder bumps, causing some movement in the battery connection with the controller. I took the battery out and tightened everything up and went on a 7 mile ride on the street without issues. I then took it out on my usual mtb route and had shutdowns again.

Luckily the parts needed to fix it, as outlined in the manual and shown above, excluding the battery, are only $275 for my bike and are available on Partszilla.

Keggie

Mar 12, 2019
Suffolk
I cut a washing up sponge in half and placed it between the battery cover and battery on my wife’s hardseven 5.0 so far sorted

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
If it’s the controller assembly inside the motor you cannot buy it. Replace entire motor only. There is a three year warranty at least.
Here is the controller board you can see the part number right on it. When checked it doesn’t come up anywhere so a new motor is the only solution. Good luck 🤞

CAE6087C-D447-40BA-B338-309B9A508C91.jpeg

Mitchb

Nov 13, 2021
San Diego
If it’s the controller assembly inside the motor you cannot buy it. Replace entire motor only. There is a three year warranty at least.
Here is the controller board you can see the part number right on it. When checked it doesn’t come up anywhere so a new motor is the only solution. Good luck 🤞

View attachment 86517
This part for my Yamaha bike is a different part # and is available. I don't think you are correct that a new motor is the only solution, at least for my bike. Same Pw-×2 motor as OP.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Well that’s very strange, what have you got for a pn and where did you get it ? The only other number is in the Yamaha parts list and it sure doesn’t come up anywhere…
28 X1V–86212–11 .CONTROLLER ASSY

Mitchb

Nov 13, 2021
San Diego
I cut a washing up sponge in half and placed it between the battery cover and battery on my wife’s hardseven 5.0 so far sorted
I took your suggestion but used some 5mm dense rubber. I went out yesterday and purposly took a very rocky route and no problems! On my Yamaha there were a couple of thin hard rubber strips on the inside of the battery cover already but they were too hard, maybe hardened and worn out? What I did seems to have re secured the battery, preventing the battery movement in the DC recepticle. So on my bike its seems the problem is the DC recepticle as shown in post #2 above. Its only a $55 part thankfully.

Mitchb

Nov 13, 2021
San Diego
Well that’s very strange, what have you got for a pn and where did you get it ? The only other number is in the Yamaha parts list and it sure doesn’t come up anywhere…
28 X1V–86212–11 .CONTROLLER ASSY
I dont know, the Yamaha parts catalog for my bike shows X1V 86212 41. I think that number is a mistake, when shopping I found the controller with the first three digits as X1M. Youre right, confusing.

Last edited:

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Ok I checked the pn you gave and it is indeed the controller board for the Yamaha Moro non pro model. Having said that I cannot even find it listed as a viable part that can be ordered from any Yamaha dealer. You say it’s available , where from Partszilla ? Anyway sounds like you have the problem solved thankfully !
what was the issue with your first motor ?

Mitchb

Nov 13, 2021
San Diego
Ok I checked the pn you gave and it is indeed the controller board for the Yamaha Moro non pro model. Having said that I cannot even find it listed as a viable part that can be ordered from any Yamaha dealer. You say it’s available , where from Partszilla ? Anyway sounds like you have the problem solved thankfully !
what was the issue with your first motor ?
The part that starts with X1M is available, youre right that X1V isn't, my mistake. I think the X1M is the right part. Im not the guy with the 2nd motor. In my case I think the problem is the DC recepticle, as mentioned above. If I cant get Yamaha to send me one under warranty without any hassle Ill just buy it.

anttiryt

May 27, 2021
Helsinki
My problem (73) seems to be the shaddy interface between the battery and the engine. It seems to have got a corrosion inside the four tiny holes, adding CRC or WD40 helps me.

Mitchb

Nov 13, 2021
San Diego
My problem (73) seems to be the shaddy interface between the battery and the engine. It seems to have got a corrosion inside the four tiny holes, adding CRC or WD40 helps me.
Do you remove the battery and clean the interface between every ride? I still have error code 71 shutdowns, they are very random. I can go a whole ride without any issues but the next ride I may have ten shutdowns. The few times I did clean the interface it seemed to help solve the problem but only temporarily. I dont know whether to credit the parts cleaner or not.

krokan

Oct 20, 2021
B
I had also many errors 71. After many fixes in repair shop I returned the bike to dealer. It was not fixable error. The repair shop tried everything, changing distance to battery, new battery, nothing helped. 71 returned randomly everytime. I spend so much time to get it fixed..nothing helped... Haibike + Yamaha never again!!

Mitchb

Nov 13, 2021
San Diego
I had also many errors 71. After many fixes in repair shop I returned the bike to dealer. It was not fixable error. The repair shop tried everything, changing distance to battery, new battery, nothing helped. 71 returned randomly everytime. I spend so much time to get it fixed..nothing helped... Haibike + Yamaha never again!!
My problem was solved by Yamaha with a warranty claim. All they ended up having to do is apply Dielectric grease to the connections between the battery and motor. That procedure is what they wanted to try first and it worked; havent had another shutdown since.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles