Ep8 rs full power

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi all I'm looking at a rise h15 for its lightweight and great price but I'm wondering can you turn the ep8rs up to standard ep8 power ? I'm coming from a full power giant alot heavier but I only do 20mile max rides once a week with friends so range isn't a problem just be nice to have full power ?

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
If you do a bit of a search in the forum, a few people mentioned some motor vibration at full power, possibly due to battery limitations. I think there was a happy point somewhere between stock and full grunt. Do a search and see!

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
Also it will depend on if the FF bikes are in boost the whole climb. The Rise gets up hills pretty quickly with a bit of force through the pedals.

I Do Blues

Jun 10, 2021
North Vancouver, BC
The stock setting on boost for the Rise only gives 50% assist and 47 Nm of torque. You have to go into the Shimano E-Tube app to change the settings to make sure you boost mode is the full assist and full 60 Nm of torque. I was lazy and it took me a year before I started playing around with the app settings....what a difference!

DaveW2

Dec 16, 2021
Calgary
Keep in mind that 85 Nm at 90 rpm is about 800 Watts. None of these motors can sustain that for long. Their controllers will dial them back to avoid overheating. Max power is for short bursts to get up a steep section. Like takeoff power on an airplane.

Ant_N_Robbo

Jan 5, 2023
Nottingham NG10, UK
When choosing a bike I was looking at the Rise range and full fat MTBS with 85Nm. I chose the Rise H15 for these reasons:

Lighter bike = More agile bike and easier to lift over gates/stiles in countryside
Wanted to get fitter. I'm overweight and don't want the bike to make it too easy.
Integrated battery = less chance of battery cover rattle or dirt ingress. (although no chance of charging seperate from bike)

I now mainly keep the ep8 RS in profile 2-mid trail mode (40Nm) which is more than adequate for my needs (XC + some mild enduro). Could be a different story of you're riding with others who are on full fat bikes but I think it would just mean a few more seconds on the ascents.

Borbea

Nov 13, 2022
Sweden
Hi, short answer: Yes you can!

The Ep8RS is the exact same motor as EP8. Orbea choose to limit torque and power to gain range. This when they developed the carbon Rise with 360Wh battery to get light weight and the range. I have done several full fat runs with my M10, but range is bad. Now a couple of years in future the 540Wh battery is not that much heavier. And range would be fully fine with full EP8 settings, but Orbea continues with the concept to have low weight and long range. RS power are most likely enough.

But with an installed 540Wh battery I would crank up the juice in a heartbeat. A full fat 85Nm/500W, 540Wh and 20kg bike for a fraction of the price of the new Wild LTD.

However there are some quirks.

1. Warranty would be effected!
2. The range extenders are too small for the full EP8 power needs. So be aware not to use extenders if you run in full power.
3. You loose the Rise natural RS feeling.

Additional I’m very interested if Stunlocker will work on the new EP801? The new motor is designed to handle 600W. So a new carbon rise with 540Wh battery, 600W power and 85Nm and 18 kg!

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
Hi, short answer: Yes you can!

The Ep8RS is the exact same motor as EP8. Orbea choose to limit torque and power to gain range. This when they developed the carbon Rise with 360Wh battery to get light weight and the range. I have done several full fat runs with my M10, but range is bad. Now a couple of years in future the 540Wh battery is not that much heavier. And range would be fully fine with full EP8 settings, but Orbea continues with the concept to have low weight and long range. RS power are most likely enough.

But with an installed 540Wh battery I would crank up the juice in a heartbeat. A full fat 85Nm/500W, 540Wh and 20kg bike for a fraction of the price of the new Wild LTD.

However there are some quirks.

1. Warranty would be effected!
2. The range extenders are too small for the full EP8 power needs. So be aware not to use extenders if you run in full power.
3. You loose the Rise natural RS feeling.

Additional I’m very interested if Stunlocker will work on the new EP801? The new motor is designed to handle 600W. So a new carbon rise with 540Wh battery, 600W power and 85Nm and 18 kg!
Stunlocker told me that app will not work with ep801 …game end

Frankyspec

Dec 3, 2022
Belgium
Eplus ebike tuning is working on a software update for the ep801, so within a few weeks, it should be ok… also some rise carbon models are delayed, so we have time…

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I have an H15 and use STUnlocker. Profile 1 is RS Profile, 2 Is 85NM. 500 watts in all settings. I have 2 Extenders for 1044wh of power. I'm a big guy So I use an extender on every ride. usually finish w/ 30-60% left on the Main battery after 20-25 mile rides usually 2-4k ft of climbing. 2 extenders when I do 30+ mile rides. normally ride/Climb in eco/Trail and use Boost only on descents to make maintaining speeds on any ups during a long descent. since being a super clyde gravity slows u down quick if you have any short ups on a descent where a normal sized human maintains speed. You can actually up power to 600w on the app but I have zero need for it and never tried it.

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
Can this interface be Connected to the shimano computer en600 in the free slot? I mean in case of ep8 where connector coming from this interface must be connected on the bike?

Last edited:

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
ep801 connect to stunloacker app ...confirmed....

app not update and is still wothout 15 regulations mode ...to be tested if it is able to change setting

eDirt

Nov 2, 2022
USA
So if the EP8 RS is just a firmware restricted EP8 doesn’t that mean you could use the app on the full fat EP8 to tune it down to the RS settings for the same range/feel or is there something different about the RS that gives the natural feel? Seems to me that having the option to crank it up on the rare occasions it’s needed would be a good thing. Is Orbea just thinking riders can’t resist boosting to full fat levels if it were available so put the restriction on?

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
So if the EP8 RS is just a firmware restricted EP8 doesn’t that mean you could use the app on the full fat EP8 to tune it down to the RS settings for the same range/feel or is there something different about the RS that gives the natural feel? Seems to me that having the option to crank it up on the rare occasions it’s needed would be a good thing. Is Orbea just thinking riders can’t resist boosting to full fat levels if it were available so put the restriction on?
The RS or Rider Synergy is not about power it is about how the assistance is delivered. Power delivery with RS is at higher cadence so feels more like a normal mtb whereas you can generally ride a full fat at lower cadence and get the power delivered. It rewards your input basically.

It is a different software stack so you can reduce power on full EP8 to match outputs on RS but it wouldn't feel the same as power will still be delivered as per the software. I do this on my E8000, not to match RS but just to reduce power input and eek out more range on the Merida.

hind-corners

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2022
Europe
The RS or Rider Synergy is not about power it is about how the assistance is delivered. Power delivery with RS is at higher cadence so feels more like a normal mtb whereas you can generally ride a full fat at lower cadence and get the power delivered. It rewards your input basically.

It is a different software stack so you can reduce power on full EP8 to match outputs on RS but it wouldn't feel the same as power will still be delivered as per the software. I do this on my E8000, not to match RS but just to reduce power input and eek out more range on the Merida.
Do you have any proof of above? My opinion is that its just marketing, I used stunlocker to push my ep8rs settings backup to ep8 and it feels same as my rise. Another way around you can push ep8
setup to rise and it runs like any full fat bike. So basically its just a different configuration to make it feel different and save battery. Biggest factor is for how it feels is the watt output setting, when your limited to 350w it feels more like ”rider synergy” 😊

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
Do you have any proof of above? My opinion is that its just marketing, I used stunlocker to push my ep8rs settings backup to ep8 and it feels same as my rise. Another way around you can push ep8
setup to rise and it runs like any full fat bike. So basically its just a different configuration to make it feel different and save battery. Biggest factor is for how it feels is the watt output setting, when your limited to 350w it feels more like ”rider synergy” 😊
Completelly agree…unfortunatelly ep801 rs Could not work with stunloacker….let us see when someone will test it

Last edited:

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
My H30 540w Rise definitely "feels" full fat when unlocked, this is my current setup:
--RS profile--
Profile 1 eco (350w - 29 nm)
Profile 1 Trail (350w - 47 nm)
Profile 1 Boost (350w - 60nm)

--unlocked ep8--
Profile 2 eco (500w - 60nm)
Profile 2 Trail (500w - ~75nm)
Profile 2 Boost (500w - 85nm)

I can feel the power and acceleration difference in each mode, but since this is my first ebike I'm not certain if this matches the regular ep8 as I've read that the carbon version with 360w battery cannot push further than 70nm of power due to battery volt/current limitations.

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
My H30 540w Rise definitely "feels" full fat when unlocked, this is my current setup:
--RS profile--
Profile 1 eco (350w - 29 nm)
Profile 1 Trail (350w - 47 nm)
Profile 1 Boost (350w - 60nm)

--unlocked ep8--
Profile 2 eco (500w - 60nm)
Profile 2 Trail (500w - ~75nm)
Profile 2 Boost (500w - 85nm)

I can feel the power and acceleration difference in each mode, but since this is my first ebike I'm not certain if this matches the regular ep8 as I've read that the carbon version with 360w battery cannot push further than 70nm of power due to battery volt/current limitations.
Is your bike with new Ep801?
How can you set up 2 different profile with different power profile ? I mean if you set ep8 with limited power this will be for profile 1 and 2 . You can only play on the torque on both but power limitation can not be different between profiles

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
local shop told me that shimano will "unlock" full power on the EP8 RS and it will not affect warranty etc. Now I'm not sure if that is just doing 85nm or they change the max draw the motor can take from the battery. I declined as range would be an issue for me. Im happy with stock torque

iJak

Mar 2, 2022
Vancouver BC
Is your bike with new Ep801?
How can you set up 2 different profile with different power profile ? I mean if you set ep8 with limited power this will be for profile 1 and 2 . You can only play on the torque on both but power limitation can not be different between profiles
Just the regular ep800 RS.
Sorry to clarify - when I was playing with the unlocking firmware, I had the above profile 1 and 2's torque set, Then adjusted power to 350w - flashed back to RS firmware, tested profile 1
flashed to unlocking firmware adjusted power to 500w - tested profile 2.
Between profile 1 boost vs profile 2 eco, there's definitely a gain there.

Profile 2 eco > trail > boost = increased power feel between all 3 modes.

texano999

Jan 14, 2023
Italy
local shop told me that shimano will "unlock" full power on the EP8 RS and it will not affect warranty etc. Now I'm not sure if that is just doing 85nm or they change the max draw the motor can take from the battery. I declined as range would be an issue for me. Im happy with stock torque
What do you mean shimano will unlock? Means we will be able to set the RS to full power and do not loose the warranty?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles