EP8 pic

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Did anyone ever get to the bottom of whether it could be swapped out with the E7000 / E8000? Would be a nice uograde to look at in time.
Everything looks like it should be. The mounts appear to be the same. The new range of batteries was released earlier this year - presumably this would have happened with the new motor but I guess they had delays.

There was rumour the new motor would be 48v, but then it wouldn't be compatible with the new batteries, so they'd have to have two product lines on the go. Why would they release new 36v batteries for the existing motors if they're about to be replaced/upgraded.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Well I'm bored of waiting so let's speculate on which manufactures will be using the new motor... are we allowed to do that? :unsure:

Merida
Canyon
Commencal
Focus??

Any lower end brands?

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Everything looks like it should be. The mounts appear to be the same. The new range of batteries was released earlier this year - presumably this would have happened with the new motor but I guess they had delays.

There was rumour the new motor would be 48v, but then it wouldn't be compatible with the new batteries, so they'd have to have two product lines on the go. Why would they release new 36v batteries for the existing motors if they're about to be replaced/upgraded.

According this, motor is 36V so new released batteries will fit.

And last but not least, looks like there will be a new display SHIMANO SC-EM800, hopefully with BT compatible with Garmin, not like the trash SC-E8000

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
All new EP8 motors are on embargo by Shimano. Possible recall with a mounting bolt issue. All bikes with motors installed may need to be changed out before release. My Commencal won't ship until December now.

dscintille

May 11, 2020
UT, USA
Santa Cruz.
Well I'm bored of waiting so let's speculate on which manufactures will be using the new motor... are we allowed to do that? :unsure:

Merida
Canyon
Commencal
Focus??

Any lower end brands?

I confirmed the Fezzari Wire Peak will be getting the EP8 as soon as the motors are available but they are making no changes to the frame or battery capacity. They are sticking with the 504 wh battery to keep the weight down.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
At this point I think it's safe to say that everyone who was using the older Shimano motors will be running the new one. It's much easier for their tooling seeing that it has the same mounting configuration as the E7000 & E8000.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
And unfortunately the mounting config is what failed in testing, hence the delay.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
And now my smoking hot looking Commencal MetaPower 29 Signature will be delayed:

21METAPW29SG_2000.jpg

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
And unfortunately the mounting config is what failed in testing, hence the delay.

It's the same mounting pattern as the E8000 so there's probably just some details they need to revise. At this point I'd say that they are pot committed on that. They can't just change the fitment of where it bolts into the frames. Bike companies have committed to that design,

chirosuisse

Oct 8, 2020
Switzerland
I'm digging this company. Was always between the YT and Levo. After a few emails back and forth the Commencal is a clear favourite now. Local distribution here in Aus, can take it to any Bike Shop for service and warranty, great communication when I have contacted them etc etc etc.
Just checked them out. LOVE the Meta Power 29! Did you pull the trigger on a Commencal?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles