EoneTwenty 900E, first impressions.

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
First up I'm happy with the Shimano motor, I had a Traxer with the same system & I like it a lot, I have only compared it to a Bosch unit so far so can't compare to Brose which is the only other motor I was considering.
The bike has some great bits bolted to it which is why I went for the 900 over the other models, Pikes, Reverb DT wheels etc, but why fit Di2? I have never in 30 years had a problem with a normal cable but now I'm scared I'm going to rip the thin electric cable out if it catches a branch or some undergrowth, I had one silly muddy ride & even the build up of mud started to move/stretch the cables by the BB. The only other thing I didn't really like were the big tyres, a bit bouncy & although I thought running the lower tyre pressure was great for traction it does nothing for drag. I bought the onetwenty as it's pretty much the shortest full suss emtb on the market, I don't do anything that warrants a DH style bike but I wanted the traction & comfort of a FS bike. I have also seen some people say they get a lot of pedal strikes, I personally think the BB is quite high, I struggle to get my toes down on the ground with the seat post fully extended & I also find it quite hard to mount the bike without the saddle dropped. So to address the last two issues I have tonight fitted some normal rubber, Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 WT TR Folding Tyre Exo Protection 3C MaxxTerra & Minion DHR II 2.4 WT TR Folding Tyres, they seem to have dropped the BB a little but I have yet to ride them.
I have also changed th saddle to a Bel Air 2 & I'm going to change the grips to Fabric mushrooms as I'm struggling to get a nice hand position on bars much wider than I'm used to.
I hope to update when I have had more than the couple of rides I have done so far & certainly after the mud has dried out a bit as that has marred both the rides so far, I'm hoping the changes I have made are for the better ;)
Cheers.
IMG_3759.jpg

Last edited:

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
For reference/interest the bars are 770mm as standard & the BB now about 13mm lower.
Cheers.

IMG_3748.jpg

Last edited:

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
hemi.rokingi

Today at 11:54 AM
New #4
How do you find the narrower tyres on the wide rims?

First off the tyres I choose are for 35 mm id rims hence the WT moniker.
But the verdict is still out, TBH at 25psi they were not giving me the leaning grip levels I thought they would, better at 20psi but I'm going to try them a bit softer & see. The trouble is the trails are changing at quite a rate with the warm weather & comparing back to back is hard, only done a couple of rides so I'll try to update in due course.
Cheers.

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Just to update with a couple of thoughts I'm having right now, I love the Fabric mushrooms grips but they show wear after only one ride so I doubt they will last, they are also pretty long. I have also ordered a new shaft for the Pike as it seems to want to sit at 5% sag without any weight on it so I thought whilst I'm at it I may as well go for the Debonair & an extra 10mm of travel, I'll update in due course. I'm also thinking about changing to a longer 70mm stem & narrower 700mm bars as I do like to ride narrow singletrack & I have already had a couple of bar strikes which are kind of unpleasant, anyone put narrower bars on their bike & regretted it?
Cheers.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
70mm is a lot to trim off in one go. Even 5mm a side makes a difference. I'd be taking a small amount off until it's comfortable. Also if the grips are too wide for you you'll have your hands further inboard which will have some bar hanging out past your hands. Try a less wide grip as well.

I still clip occasionally. But that's me, not the bike.

Gordon

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
A quick update, I have tried the lower tyre pressures & didn't like them, to much roll which gave me an unpredictable breakaway, back up to 25-27 psi & although I'm sure the grip may be less the bike feels more stable again. I have also fitted the 140mm debonair & removed 2 tokens leaving just the one, I'm getting full travel although I still have a little static sag which I find irritating but I can live with it. The jury is still out on the bars, I really think a slightly longer stem & 720mm bars would work better for me but it feels like it would be a backwards step so I'm resisting for now.
Cheers.

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Another update, I have just had a quick fettle for a ride tomorrow, I didn't want to cut the original bars down so I have fitted some off another bike which meant changing the stem as well as they are 31.8 rather than 35mm, going to try them at 740mm but I don't mind trimming these ones if I still think them wide I'll cut them some more. The stem is a 60mm rather than the stock 55mm but it has a bit of rise so I flipped it to neg rise to try and get my weight a bit more forward. I have trimmed the Fabric grips, if you look at the image you will see where the mushroom grip stops & It's just plain rubber which my hands never rested on so I cut that off which means my hands are 10mm more outward per side.

Fabric-Magic-Grip-Black-Single-1500x1500.jpg

I also fitted a bash guard I bought off EBAY but I don't think it will give much protection other than rocks flicking up, it certainly doesn't feel like a proper bashgaurd to me as it touches the motor housing & offers no extra rigidity.

Thats it for now but I'll keep updating,
Cheers.

AdrianWindo

Apr 14, 2019
UK
First up I'm happy with the Shimano motor, I had a Traxer with the same system & I like it a lot, I have only compared it to a Bosch unit so far so can't compare to Brose which is the only other motor I was considering.
The bike has some great bits bolted to it which is why I went for the 900 over the other models, Pikes, Reverb DT wheels etc, but why fit Di2? I have never in 30 years had a problem with a normal cable but now I'm scared I'm going to rip the thin electric cable out if it catches a branch or some undergrowth, I had one silly muddy ride & even the build up of mud started to move/stretch the cables by the BB. The only other thing I didn't really like were the big tyres, a bit bouncy & although I thought running the lower tyre pressure was great for traction it does nothing for drag. I bought the onetwenty as it's pretty much the shortest full suss emtb on the market, I don't do anything that warrants a DH style bike but I wanted the traction & comfort of a FS bike. I have also seen some people say they get a lot of pedal strikes, I personally think the BB is quite high, I struggle to get my toes down on the ground with the seat post fully extended & I also find it quite hard to mount the bike without the saddle dropped. So to address the last two issues I have tonight fitted some normal rubber, Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 WT TR Folding Tyre Exo Protection 3C MaxxTerra & Minion DHR II 2.4 WT TR Folding Tyres, they seem to have dropped the BB a little but I have yet to ride them.
I have also changed th saddle to a Bel Air 2 & I'm going to change the grips to Fabric mushrooms as I'm struggling to get a nice hand position on bars much wider than I'm used to.
I hope to update when I have had more than the couple of rides I have done so far & certainly after the mud has dried out a bit as that has marred both the rides so far, I'm hoping the changes I have made are for the better ;)
Cheers.
View attachment 11032
Di2 is fantastic, set it up never goes off tune

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Di2 is fantastic, set it up never goes off tune
You mean you don't have to fiddle with a barrel adjuster once or twice over the lifetime of a decent SS cable, or have to change it once every year or two?
Give me that over having a cable get caught on something & snapping any day :)

I also did 20 miles on Sunday & only used 1 bar of battery whilst staying in eco for the whole ride bar one short climb so happy with that. I have also put the original bars back on as I had a fair bit of arm pump on the other ones, not sure if it was because of the lower height or that the bars are much stiffer than the stock ones, I'm going to give them another go before cutting them.
Cheers.

Last edited:

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
An update, later than planned. Today saw me hit the 600 mile mark, TBH I thought it would be a lot more after this long but shit happens & it is what it is. So after todays 25 mile ride I thought I would check the tightness of all bolts, give it a good clean, which despite my instinct I did without a hose or pressure washer, polished it up, T-cut the scuffs & touched in the chips of which there were many :mad:

The result

IMG_4592.jpg

I also took the chain off to give it a proper clean, it's bloody twisted & I can also squeeze the .75 in there if I force it a bit, 600 miles of being nice to it & the thing wants a new chain! Anyway ordered a KMC from Merlin for £20 so I'll see how that goes as they have great longevity reports, guess it will be another year before I can report back though :(

But the main point of the post is I still have a massive smile on my face when I get back from a serious ride, this bike can take anything the uk can throw at it & I see no need for a longer travel bike.
I have changed little & it hasn't cost me a lot to do so, I'm not saying that having £3500 in a bike is cheap, but it could of been a whole lot worse ? I think this is the first time in over a decade I haven't bought some kind of new bike in over a year so it must be good?

Cheers.

RAZOR

Feb 19, 2019
Auckland, NZ
Hi guys,
I have been offered some wheels off a new e140 (basic Merida TR 30mm id) and am wondering if it is worth replacing my current set - again basic Merida TR but a 40mm rim.

I have changed the 2.8 tyres for 2.5 so thinking the new rims might suit the tyres better? Also going to a 29er up front.

Cheers,

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Hi guys,
I have been offered some wheels off a new e140 (basic Merida TR 30mm id) and am wondering if it is worth replacing my current set - again basic Merida TR but a 40mm rim.

I have changed the 2.8 tyres for 2.5 so thinking the new rims might suit the tyres better? Also going to a 29er up front.

Cheers,
Mine are 35mm ID so not sure I can comment, but if your'e no big hitter then I would of thought 30mm would be perfect, not sure what size tyre you could fit in the front though if going to 29er.
Cheers.

MrEscape

Apr 29, 2020
UK
Nice thread.
I have the e120 - same colour too.

We've just passed the 3000 mile mark in 18 months.
I love it, the di2 is awesome - it's been out in all weathers and taken a beating and till not faulted.

I did increase the travel to 140mm in the forks - but they are a little softer - sag sits at the same height as when it was in 130mm travel, but its a plusher fork

Rear shock, frame bearings are all to be replaced - just because - but the motor has started throwing up several codes so need checking.

Not tried removing a token in the forks, added one but wasn't a fan of it in the corners, will try to remove one.

Thanks for tip!!

Elliott

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles