eOne Sixty sizing for 186cm rider

MTB Hucker

Dec 20, 2018
Australia
I’ll be getting an e160 in March and am still confirming sizing. I’m 186cm and weigh in at 84kg’s. My local dealer only has a large that I could try out. It felt good but I won’t be able to compare it to an XL. I’ve read some forums and articles that say anyone over 185cm should ride and XL and others that say the XL is super big so for my height a large is perfect.

I would love any feedback from other riders of similar height and their opinions of their size of choice with any positives/negatives. Thanks in advance!

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
The geometries tab below will give you the difference in sizing...

EONE-SIXTY 900E - Merida Bikes Australia

I can't tell you what to buy but I think your dealer might be right. I'm 178 (5'10" with a 32" inseam but heavier than you) and "just" comfortable in a medium on my e160. That's with the seat back a bit. I could have easily ridden a large. 186 would seem to be more than a full size up from me. It's 20mm in reach difference per size. I certainly don't think an XL is "way" too large for you.

Gordon

Laker123

Nov 15, 2018
New Zealand
Im 177cm and went for a Large as felt more comfortable with the extra reach, does he have a standard One-Sixty in an XL that you could try out, the reach and stack shouldn't be to different between the analog and electric versions.

MTB Hucker

Dec 20, 2018
Australia
Hey flash & Laker123. Thanks for the advice. I checked out the Merida Australia size chart and my size according to that is 19.5”. They don’t actually have the corresponding size for this but it tends to be a large in other brands. Decisions, decisions!

Maximage

Oct 19, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
Where about do you live? I see Australia at least in your profile. I'm from Perth, 190cm, and recently tried an XL in Melbourne whilst on holidays and it was massive, very tall bike. Ended up getting a Large instead, happy because there is no way I could have thrown an XL around like I can the Large.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I'm 181/5'11 and ride the e160 in M. I've ridden the e120 in both M and L and even though the M initially felt a bit small, I prefer the smaller frame. It's stable enough at speed and more nimble/maneuverable.

It depends on your riding style, both will work, I guess I would have gone with L if I was 186. Steve at embn always tallk about sizing up, Fabien Barrel of Canyon says sizing on ebikes don't compare directly to reguler bikes, he's sizing down.

Last edited:

Boom5

Jan 8, 2019
Germany
I'm 183cm on eone sixty 900e size M, fits perfect for me. With 186cm size L should bei right.

Greets Uli

Last edited:

Yes

Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
I looked at the 160 900 yesterday at 99 Bikes -- it is a very large bike in the large size (punny). I'm a little taller than you, and would seriously consider the large size for myself. As a few have mentioned here, I would find manhandling a bike any bigger than a large, even with my 188cm relatively fit frame, a daunting task. If you are looking for a comparison, the Trek, on the other hand, is certainly no where near as large (or bulky in general) and would likely go the XL in the Trek brand (Powerfly 5 for example).

MTB Hucker

Dec 20, 2018
Australia
Where about do you live? I see Australia at least in your profile. I'm from Perth, 190cm, and recently tried an XL in Melbourne whilst on holidays and it was massive, very tall bike. Ended up getting a Large instead, happy because there is no way I could have thrown an XL around like I can the Large.

This is great! I’m in Brisbane so 99 bikes had the large for me to try out but and XL is a special order only. Large is looking like the one!

MTB Hucker

Dec 20, 2018
Australia
I looked at the 160 900 yesterday at 99 Bikes -- it is a very large bike in the large size (punny). I'm a little taller than you, and would seriously consider the large size for myself. As a few have mentioned here, I would find manhandling a bike any bigger than a large, even with my 188cm relatively fit frame, a daunting task. If you are looking for a comparison, the Trek, on the other hand, is certainly no where near as large (or bulky in general) and would likely go the XL in the Trek brand (Powerfly 5 for example).

Thanks for the info! With everyone’s feedback, I’m feeling quite assured that large is the right size for me!

Kadale

Jan 14, 2019
Victoria
After trying the trek and giant out also I would agree with the above

Yes

Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
I took a Trek Powerfly 5 (both FS and HT) for a test ride this afternoon... The Trek just seems the most compact of the bikes. I also rode a Giant Fathom e+2 pro... Which is smaller than the Merida, but larger than the Trek. I put it down to the thickness of the frame, and larger width on wheels. I'd go for the Trek, but as far as value for money, the Giant is hard to beat, as is the Merida.

Kadale

Jan 14, 2019
Victoria
I took a Trek Powerfly 5 (both FS and HT) for a test ride this afternoon... The Trek just seems the most compact of the bikes. I also rode a Giant Fathom e+2 pro... Which is smaller than the Merida, but larger than the Trek. I put it down to the thickness of the frame, and larger width on wheels. I'd go for the Trek, but as far as value for money, the Giant is hard to beat, as is the Merida.
I felt the Merida 900E was best bang for buck
we paid $6000 AU for each one we bought

Kadale

Jan 14, 2019
Victoria
I sat on it and thought ti was the slimmest of what were discussing

As for the battery I don't mind it like that, easy to remove and no "gimmicky" mounting system

MTB Hucker

Dec 20, 2018
Australia
I think you're right... And once they integrate the battery and slim it down it's going to be a game changer.
They all look great but I’m also keen on the geometry of the Merida as the chain stays are quite long on the Trek and the Giant as opposed to the e160 which I think will suit my style more.

Bob lakin

Aug 4, 2018
Devon
They all look great but I’m also keen on the geometry of the Merida as the chain stays are quite long on the Trek and the Giant as opposed to the e160 which I think will suit my style more.
I love mine I've really got it dialed in now have had some fantastic ride out's with it bin a blast it's a real weapon when pushed hard. Just done service and firmware update only problem I had was when a big old oak tree attacked my Di2 gears smashed them ,that was a pain but all good now . Makes my aging old body rock again but do still ride my analogue mtb tho . Next to my windsurfing kit it's the best toy I've owned !!!

20190120_144056.jpg

MTB Hucker

Dec 20, 2018
Australia
I love mine I've really got it dialed in now have had some fantastic ride out's with it bin a blast it's a real weapon when pushed hard. Just done service and firmware update only problem I had was when a big old oak tree attacked my Di2 gears smashed them ,that was a pain but all good now . Makes my aging old body rock again but do still ride my analogue mtb tho . Next to my windsurfing kit it's the best toy I've owned !!!

View attachment 9897
Awesome Bob! It’s great to get all of the feedback. Makes the purchase a no brainer!

Yes

Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
As for the battery I don't mind it like that, easy to remove and no "gimmicky" mounting system

I don't think the Trek can be called "gimmicky"? It is a very elegant solution to what is quite an eyesore (beauty being the eye of the beholder and all that). It has an integrated handle which makes it easy to remove and carry, has an Abus locking system, and importantly to anyone who is commuting any kind of distance - the slim integrated Trek battery system allows for a bottle mount.

No doubt Merida will follow suit - likely in the upcoming 2020 model. They will pick up far more share of the market when they do. People, like me, don't like the e-bike look -- I like the lines of a traditional bike. Each to their own.

Bob lakin

Aug 4, 2018
Devon
I don't think the Trek can be called "gimmicky"? It is a very elegant solution to what is quite an eyesore (beauty being the eye of the beholder and all that). It has an integrated handle which makes it easy to remove and carry, has an Abus locking system, and importantly to anyone who is commuting any kind of distance - the slim integrated Trek battery system allows for a bottle mount.

No doubt Merida will follow suit - likely in the upcoming 2020 model. They will pick up far more share of the market when they do. People, like me, don't like the e-bike look -- I like the lines of a traditional bike. Each to their own.
I spend my time riding my Mtb and not looking at it !

Maximage

Oct 19, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
This is great! I’m in Brisbane so 99 bikes had the large for me to try out but and XL is a special order only. Large is looking like the one!
I was really torn, I loved the Merida specs, but part of me also wanted a Trance-E as I have had a number of analogue Trances over the years and currently have a Giant Glory, a Giant Reign Advanced, a Giant Trance Advanced, a Giant TCR Advanced, a Liv Pique Advanced, a Liv Langma Advanced and a mini Giant Animator (notice a pattern?) in the garage, so understandably a Giant e-bike would have rounded it out nicely! ?

However, to even remotely match the Merida specs I would have had to buy the E+ SX Pro, but they are not bring the XL sized version into Australia for some stupid reason. I rode the Large in the Giant and it was waaay too small for my 190cm, whereas the Merida was fine in a Large.

Gregbase

Mar 7, 2019
Hungary
Same size as you (186cm). The "L" is the right choice. The Merida has relatively long top tube if you combaring sizes (for example a large Specialized top tube and wheelbase is much shorter than a large Merida)
So large was the perfect choice!
Enjoy it! (y)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles