Eone Sixty 800 dropper post

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi all. The dropper post remote on my Eone Sixty 800 has become very hard to operate. This is the Merida dropper post. I figure it needs lubricating somewhere. Haven't done this before. Any ideas or tips?

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Mine did that too and so did 2 other friends. we all ended up with reverb droppers with under bar leavers and problem solved.You will need to bin the shifter paddles too though and get the E 7000 controller. The cables get contaminated and they stiffen up.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks guys. Pretty expensive option to replace the whole post. I’d like to repair it if possible. Do you think it’s a cable issue then rather than a stiff post mechanism? Seems a few people have had this problem.

johnc

Oct 13, 2018
Scotland/East Midlands
Is it the trigger that’s hard to operate or the post moving? If it’s the trigger Rock n Roll lube inside the outer cable will make it super slick.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
1st thing is to make sure your seat post clamp isn't to tight. Then look at cables. Then a post service.

I don't mind my post but I'm changing the lever which does suck.

Gordon

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks guys. Yeah it seems to be just the lever that’s stiff. The post goes up and down OK. So might just be the cable. I’ll try some Rock n Roll lube first. How the heck do you replace these cables?

PeterM

Mar 13, 2019
New Zealand
The stock lever is terrible, i replaced mine with a giant brand lever when it became stiff. I also replaced the cable at the same time, i had to swing the motor down on mine to get the cable through which was a small hassle but totally worth it in the end. Torpedo7 for the lever $39nzd.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
The stock lever is terrible, i replaced mine with a giant brand lever when it became stiff. I also replaced the cable at the same time, i had to swing the motor down on mine to get the cable through which was a small hassle but totally worth it in the end. Torpedo7 for the lever $39nzd.
Did you bother to pull the post apart and relube or just replace lever and cable? And presumably you also changed out your motor controls so the lever would fit under the bar?

PeterM

Mar 13, 2019
New Zealand
The post was fine. When i had it out with the cable detached i worked the little lever at the bottom of the post and the action was fine. Since then though i unwound the seal cap with the dropper post still in the frame and slid the seal up and smeared some rubber grease below it. You can grip the seal nut thingy and spin it up. Hope that made sense

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
The post was fine. When i had it out with the cable detached i worked the little lever at the bottom of the post and the action was fine. Since then though i unwound the seal cap with the dropper post still in the frame and slid the seal up and smeared some rubber grease below it. You can grip the seal nut thingy and spin it up. Hope that made sense
Yep there's a good YouTube video on it. Did you change out the switches as well?

PeterM

Mar 13, 2019
New Zealand
Here's a photo of the setup. I did replace the cable outer at the same time which meant dropping the motor. I reality i could have just slipped a new inner cable through without any of the added hassle.
I actually like the original power switches, they are easy to find with my thumb when on the move.
But in saying that i don't often change out of trail mode and the e7000 switch is definitely sleekest.
20190615_104704.jpg

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Here's a photo of the setup. I did replace the cable outer at the same time which meant dropping the motor. I reality i could have just slipped a new inner cable through without any of the added hassle.
I actually like the original power switches, they are easy to find with my thumb when on the move.
But in saying that i don't often change out of trail mode and the e7000 switch is definitely sleekest. View attachment 14949
Thanks Peter. Good to see how you’ve got it set up. Agree re Trail. Same here - use it most of the time. I’m going to have a look at it today. Will try lubing the cable first to see how that works. Then maybe strip the post and relube everything and take it from there.

I see you have also upgraded to Zee’s. Worth it? I’m actually pretty happy with the SLX’s - at least for my level of riding.

PeterM

Mar 13, 2019
New Zealand
I'm in the opinion of dont upgrade until it's broken. Or if its performance is holding you back.
The zees are great, the metal pads can be really noisy sometimes, and mine seem to need bleeding often.
But for stopping power they're awesome.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
All fixed. I removed the seatpost, trimmed the inner cable at seat post end to remove jagged wires and to square it off, pulled out the inner, cleaned it and lubed it with Inox MX5 (best for cables so they say), trimmed the outer cable to match the amount cut off the inner and then reinstalled the inner (making sure all the fittings were in the correct order!). Now smooth as butter again. Lever on the top aint quite so bad when it operates easily.

Did this on both our 800's. Both a year old and exhibiting the same symptoms. So I'm picking all the bikes with the Merida Expert dropper (aka Tranzx Dropper - also sold as BrandX from CRC I think) will have the same problem eventually.

Interestingly, the two identical bikes, bought at the same time, had different cable arrangements at the dropper post: one had a cable barrel adjuster one didn't. Both posts were fine and didn't need lubing.

Thanks all for your advice with this.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles