End of EMTB Forums

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Probably the right move if YouTube is where you have most eyeballs, but you definitely need some “EMTB forums, featuring Rob rides EMTB” branding on here to make the linkage clear.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Yeah I kind of feel you still need some Forum reference in there, can the channel have a sub heading, e.g

Rob Rides EMTB
emtbforums.com

For sure will be forum references all the time, just the channel name that has changed. Been thinking about it for a long time, and got some advice from someone in the 'game' recently that strongly recommended it.

I'm going to think of it like a 'brand ambassador' role that I play in promoting the forum...

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Am I the only one thinking differently? The forum and the YT channel could help each other grow... but it’s just me I might be wrong.
Yeah I totally get this...

This is still totally possible. In fact even more so. EMTB Forums as a YT channel is pretty generic and doesn't really have much personality, and a bit of a WTF? if you don't know what a 'forum' is used for. Forums are still very niche.

I think that the 'Rob Rides EMTB' will help people identify quicker and easier exactly what I do. More views / more opportunity and push for the forum.

Have though long and hard about it.., trust me!

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Rob I mentioned EMTB Forums Youtube to the guys in the shop at Afan and got a polite nod/smile but WTF look. If you are doing Rob rides features it would be good to see something on the Trail Builders of the places that we ride. Jeff at Afan a Blasts shop knows a few of them there.

GDAS

Sep 19, 2018
Surrey, UK
Yeah I totally get this...

This is still totally possible. In fact even more so. EMTB Forums as a YT channel is pretty generic and doesn't really have must personality, and a bit of a WTF? if you don't know what a 'forum' is used for. Forums are still very niche.

I think that the 'Rob Rides EMTB' will help people identify quicker and easier exactly what I do. More views / more opportunity and push for the forum.

Have though long and hard about it.., trust me!
but if people see a video pretty much entirely taken within Chris Reilly's workshop, won't they be entitled to think "um.. I thought this channel was about some guy riding his e-mtb"? In which case, wouldn't it make more sense to call the channel "All you need to know about e-mtb'ing" [for example]

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
It's more the thumbnail that grabs me, not the name. The only time I look at the name is if I want to subscribe to something and wanna check out more of the content. Stick a sexy girl in the thumbnail and the views will go through the roof.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I actually thought that the EMTBForum channel could end up more like Pinkbike/MBR type channel where you got more people in to do reviews, reports, technical stuff etc, and expanded it that way, a bit like you have done with the homepage of the forum.

I think what you have done is a good idea from the point of view of creating a youtube channel that is going to be easier to monetise and get subscribers, but it does feel that it will end up becoming a somewhat separate endeavour to the Forum (and there is nothing wrong with that at all).

I guess it feels like when you where doing it under the Forum name you where kind of representing all of us, with the new name its seems more like going in direction of an EMTB type McTrail rider or Paul the Punter type channel. I like that in your reviews you take the feedback from he forum of various owners into account.

However I think that one of the strongest aspects of your channel is that you are not a pro rider or journalist, and that to the average rider looking into EMTB's you really get across the the relevant things to them, as well as producing interesting and quality content, and I think renaming the channel will really help with this.

One of my favourite Youtube MTB Channels in Pinned, because I think they have a really good mix of rising, events, tech, and do it in an everyman sort of way. If you could do an EMTB version of that I think you will be on to a winner.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I like Pinned too. But miss Stu Hughes being part of it.
Pinned = rough/raw not a criticism BTW. My only criticism of Jim's channel is it being more than a little industry sucky/cliquey.. But remember Jim's background, eh?
Rob = very polished presentation and far more honest.

Moral of the story is never trust a journo.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I actually thought that the EMTBForum channel could end up more like Pinkbike/MBR type channel where you got more people in to do reviews, reports, technical stuff etc, and expanded it that way, a bit like you have done with the homepage of the forum.

Generally speaking, the most successful channels (and channels that are growing massively) are the 'personality' channels.

Some food for thought:

MBR: 124k subscribers. Channel started May 2008
PinkBike: 153k subscribers. Channel started June 2015
Singletrack: 7k subscribers. Channel started April 2015

Pinkbike website is very likely in decline. MBR should be on WAY more that 124k subs. Not sure why Singletrack is so low having put out 300 videos.

Seths Bike Hacks: 1.1m subscribers. Channel started Jan 2015
Skills with Phil: 241k subscribers. Channel started March 2013
BKXC: 215k Subscribers. Channel started Jan 2016

An exception is GMBN, almost at 1m subscribers, established in 2014. This is a backed by media company that is exclusively YouTube and has a huge team (30+) that work across the branded channels that they own.

Media consumption and discovery is changing. Netflix / YouTube, smart algorithms are taking the thinking away for content discovery and are getting better at finding out what we want to watch.

My goal is to make EMTB Forums the best resource of EMTB content in the world, growing as fast as possible, and I believe that the channel is a big part of that. My plan is to grow my YouTube , be the brand ambassador for EMTB Forums and promote it that way.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Not sure why Singletrack is so low having put out 300 videos.
Everything about Singletrack is quite cliquey, often cringeworthy and although they do review brand new all round products their knowledge and experience is actually quite limited.
It can't help having a staff without a genuine all round interest in all facets of cycling and being very trend/niche led.
Plus Mark is an arrogant wank who doesn't listen to his audience. (it's ok. He says far worse about me) :)

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Everything about Singletrack is quite cliquey, often cringeworthy and although they do review brand new all round products their knowledge and experience is actually quite limited.
It can't help having a staff without a genuine all round interest in all facets of cycling and being very trend/niche led.
Plus Mark is an arrogant wank who doesn't listen to his audience. (it's ok. He says far worse about me) :)

Interesting. Was very suprised to see how small it was. They are predominantly mag based I guess? Dangerous game.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
They are predominantly mag based I guess? Dangerous game.
Yeah. I think they're a little lost TBH. but slowly realising it. It's all a bit staid. Always has been.

Which type is Pinned tv as its personality led but without Jim's name in the title?
l always think Jim's angle is finding a way to support his racing/riding more than world domination. Hence going with a race team type name.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I must be behind the times, I’ve never looked at the YouTube channel , only ever watched content that has been placed on the forum.

I personally wouldn’t go directly to YouTube to see what you have posted.
I use the forum site as a one stop shop for content I have more recently been going to the home page to see what new reviews have been posted then coming into the forum , i just see YouTube as providing the video functionality.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I don't think I have ever got to the end of a Singletrack video - it's like having the life slowly sucked out of you. There was a particularly cringeworthy one a while back when Spec released the 2019 Levo; Georghia Leslie was talking through the bike, but even her boundless enthusiasm couldn't lift the mallaise emanating from the presenter. All rather embarassing.

EDIT: Here you go, get your cringe ready...

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yeah Singletrack vids are not good - they did one on the intense tazer last week and they managed to make the whole thing incredibly dull

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I don't think I have ever got to the end of a Singletrack video - it's like having the life slowly sucked out of you. There was a particularly cringeworthy one a while back when they Spec released the 2019; Georghia Leslie was talking through the bike, but even her boundless enthusiasm couldn't lift the mallaise emanating from the presenter. All rather embarassing.

EDIT: Here you go, get your cringe ready...

I managed 20 seconds.........

Jun 10, 2018
United Kingdom
The thing that I can think of is the new name would get in the way having content from other people on the forums. Like a culmination of different contributors. For example, there are several guys on here that post rider footage. From a review perspective, the guys you have doing the reviews may want in the future to do video reviews.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
The thing that I can think of is the new name would get in the way having content from other people on the forums. Like a culmination of different contributors. For example, there are several guys on here that post rider footage. From a review perspective, the guys you have doing the reviews may want in the future to do video reviews.
I have retained the EMTB Forums channel for that exact purpose :)

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Comments on that video are pretty savage.

I asked to be included on the Specialized launch stuff for the 19 Levo but I had to buy a bike to get it on my channel as I wasn't included in the press stuff (not 'media pro' enough I guess??)

The Tazer... emailed them twice. No reply. Nothing from Trek. via email and instagram over months. Canyon? Nope. Not a sausage.

WTF. So annoying, I can literally help these brands promote their stuff for free on here and my YT.

This might sound really really big headed, thats not my intention; My '19 Levo vids have over 150k views (easily). My Haibike vids have almost half a million views. I bet that some of my YT videos have far more reach than some proper media outlets.

All I need is a bike (that will be given back). But a lot of the industry is still stuck with print / old skool tactics.
That's because you curse, drink beer and look a bit dodgy. ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles