EMTBs with road wheels?

FOG

Oct 5, 2018
Sheffield UK
A few of my friends have got E road bikes as well as EMTBs. I don't have the cash to buy an e road bike but could stretch to some new wheels. Has anybody tried putting wheels with narrower rims and [still beefy] road tyres on an EMTB? Was it worth it? Is the weight difference still too great? I have done this with ordinary MTBs which produced a great 'gravel' bike at a fraction of the cost of buying new.

Phill_B_34

Feb 11, 2019
Brisbane, AUS
I'm about to try Continental Speed King RaceSport 29" x 2.2 on my Jam2 (std RaceFace AR30 29" wheel with 30mm internal width) for some road/path riding. They get a good review for easy rolling but not so good in the wet....time will tell.

Mr CRUD

Patreon
Dec 18, 2018
Robin Hoods Bay
I've set my Commencal up for road simply by swapping the tyres for Schwalbe big ben, £24 each. Hell of a difference on road and cinder tracks. Definitely worth doing if you commute all week, then swap tyres for the weekend mudfest.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I've set my Commencal up for road simply by swapping the tyres for Schwalbe big ben, £24 each. Hell of a difference on road and cinder tracks. Definitely worth doing if you commute all week, then swap tyres for the weekend mudfest.

This, or a set of cheap 29er wheels with Big Bens. Changing to a smaller diameter tire changes the geometry a little, it's better to use a tire closer in size to what it was designed for. The very small difference in rolling resistence won't matter with an ebike.

Mr CRUD

Patreon
Dec 18, 2018
Robin Hoods Bay
But... it's unlikely you will match up a new cassette with your old chain, so swapping wheels will possibly involve a new chain and 2 new cassettes.
Geometry doesn't change, just ride height. Not so crucial on the road. Works great for me!

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
Ride height changes, so does the trail on the fork, which for me anyway is where any oddness is felt. It's not a major problem unless you're sticking 26mm tires in there, which I've tried... lol. I switch wheelsets on one of my bikes all the time, chains and cassettes work ok unless one set is really worn. It's manageable. I run tubeless, so swapping tires out per ride isn't feasible for me.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I don't run skinny slicks. I run 2.5 hookworms on a second set of wheels. Huge difference in rolling resistance and range. Wheels swap out perfectly with no adjustments required. Literally takes one minute between road and off road.

Still want a Paralane2 though :)

Gordon

Topov

I got a cheap pair of wheels for my Lapierre put a set of 2.0 big ben tyres on, under £20 and did over 700miles on them, battery consumption improved obviously, and never looked back, commuted 20miles each way and got it down to under the hour. wheels also swapped with no issues so I could just change the wheels at the weekend and hit the trails.
Now I have more than one bike ;)

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
I run these on my 29 work/pub bike in summer it’s hilarious but wicked quick , makes for a giggle if I don’t take the Levo
5CA55B69-5C8D-49C1-B3AC-46C0A4A482B3.jpeg

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
On my Jam2 HT I'm swapping a cheap Shimano 27.5 wheelset with Schwalbe Super MotoX 2.4" tyres for a weekly commute. Makes huge difference in rolling and noise.

Friday night wheels get swapped for the original ARC40 with Maxxis Minions DHF/DHR 2.6".
Feels like having two bikes. The swap takes about 2-3 minutes.

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I put Vee Rubber Trax Fatty's on my bike and the roll alright. Probably not as good as Hookworms but I scored a great deal on them and they come in widths up to 3.00" I'm running 2.8" and my bike rides like a Cadillac

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
I put 47mm conti tours on my cube acid for commuting, quick, slick and huge difference in battery usage......next to no noise too :D

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
Schwalbe G-One speed 29x2,35", I run them on my cheap wheelset. Makes 25% difference in range due to lower rolling resistance

SvenHelgason

Jun 6, 2019
Luxembourg
I use my Jam2 almost only for commuting, and on tarmac.
Just swapped out the Nobby Nic's 2.8 for Super Moto 2.8

Huge difference in rolling resistance and acceleration. I need to check this better over the next feew weeks and comment more.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
I just posted in a separate post a second wheelset 29" x 2.6 schwabe g force. I'm going to move the cassette back and forth to avoid unequal cassette wear seeing the smooth tires are for an occasional ride not daily switching. Otherwise both wheel are totally complete. Omg what a difference.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles