EMTBs are amazing

Nov 19, 2018
Quantocks
The majority of you out there know this already, but EMTBs really are amazing.
I used to be a fanatical mountain biker. Weekends revolved around cycling, holidays often involved bikes and mid week was focused on fitness. Then I got a virus and everything changed...
For the past twenty years I have tried to rekindle my passion, but when ever I thought I was getting my fitness back, I'd over do it, the virus would kick in and I'd b back to square one.
A year ago I tentatively mentioned to my mates (who ride every weekend) that I was thinking about buying an e-bike and to their credit they were unanimous in their support. After much research my mind was made up and in November I made the not inconsiderable investment in a 2019 Levo - What a bike!
I always knew that an e-bike would help me get up the steep hills, but what I had failed to appreciate before was that at any point during the ride, when I started to feel tired, I could up the power and the bike would effectively bring me home. Pre e-bike, this is where the damage would be done; I'd be out riding, start to feel tired but still have to get home. By the time I got back I'd be exhausted and it could then take months to recover. But not any more.
I'm not a big downhiller, I've always enjoyed the climbs as much as the uphills. I've slowly been building my fitness and by gradually tweaking the support levels I've reached the point where I can complete a whole ride in Eco.
I've just returned from a brilliant 14 mile ride on The Quantocks, 2,300 feet of elevation, one hour fifty in the saddle and an average support of 69%. One year ago I could never have dreamed of this.
I'm still grinning from ear to ear - and long may it continue.
For anyone out there considering an EMTB, take the plunge and never look back.
:)
PS - I ride with my mates on their analogue bikes, the same ones that encouraged me a year ago.

Bazippy

Jan 27, 2019
Sheffield
Im a type 1 Diabetic, Ive been out of mountain biking for about 10 years. Ive just got my ebike and like yourself if my sugars drop and i feel off the bike can pick up the slack till i recover or get me home. Its added so much more confidence to biking that I never had. I spent my youth riding local trails and always be within walking distance of home. Now im off out into the wilderness with the aid of that little motor!

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
The majority of you out there know this already, but EMTBs really are amazing.
I used to be a fanatical mountain biker. Weekends revolved around cycling, holidays often involved bikes and mid week was focused on fitness. Then I got a virus and everything changed...
For the past twenty years I have tried to rekindle my passion, but when ever I thought I was getting my fitness back, I'd over do it, the virus would kick in and I'd b back to square one.
A year ago I tentatively mentioned to my mates (who ride every weekend) that I was thinking about buying an e-bike and to their credit they were unanimous in their support. After much research my mind was made up and in November I made the not inconsiderable investment in a 2019 Levo - What a bike!
I always knew that an e-bike would help me get up the steep hills, but what I had failed to appreciate before was that at any point during the ride, when I started to feel tired, I could up the power and the bike would effectively bring me home. Pre e-bike, this is where the damage would be done; I'd be out riding, start to feel tired but still have to get home. By the time I got back I'd be exhausted and it could then take months to recover. But not any more.
I'm not a big downhiller, I've always enjoyed the climbs as much as the uphills. I've slowly been building my fitness and by gradually tweaking the support levels I've reached the point where I can complete a whole ride in Eco.
I've just returned from a brilliant 14 mile ride on The Quantocks, 2,300 feet of elevation, one hour fifty in the saddle and an average support of 69%. One year ago I could never have dreamed of this.
I'm still grinning from ear to ear - and long may it continue.
For anyone out there considering an EMTB, take the plunge and never look back.
:)
PS - I ride with my mates on their analogue bikes, the same ones that encouraged me a year ago.
Great to hear it has Got you back riding. I popped over to the Quantocks for the first time on an ebike mid week and they were stunning but you wouldn’t want to run out of steam down a coombe ?

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I have rheumatoid arthritis and basically all my major joints are more or less destroyed. 5 years ago I could not lift a coffee mug.....with both hands. Been building fitness slowly with indoor trainer and road biking. After I got my Levo last August my fitness is now at the same level as 20 years ago and I’m off most of my meds and no more pain. Not only good for health but also bloody fun!! No way I could do this without an Emtb.

Karsten

Nov 19, 2018
Quantocks
I have rheumatoid arthritis and basically all my major joints are more or less destroyed. 5 years ago I could not lift a coffee mug.....with both hands. Been building fitness slowly with indoor trainer and road biking. After I got my Levo last August my fitness is now at the same level as 20 years ago and I’m off most of my meds and no more pain. Not only good for health but also bloody fun!! No way I could do this without an Emtb.

Karsten
That is a remarkable story.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Im a type 1 Diabetic, Ive been out of mountain biking for about 10 years. Ive just got my ebike and like yourself if my sugars drop and i feel off the bike can pick up the slack till i recover or get me home. Its added so much more confidence to biking that I never had. I spent my youth riding local trails and always be within walking distance of home. Now im off out into the wilderness with the aid of that little motor!

My 11-year old grandson was diagnosed Type 1 diabetic in Nov'18. He had a brief pause from mtb and rugby while he and his family learned to deal with it. Now he has zero fears coming mtb with me. More importantly his parents are OK with it too. :)
Because when on his mtb, he is more likely to go low on his blood sugar than high, all he has to do is to keep the blood sugar up. So in fact apart from stopping now and again to do the finger-prick and check his levels, all he does is to eat a small chocolate covered flapjack and drink some orange squash. He used to eat and drink that way on a ride years before he was diagnosed, so it feels like a normal day out (apart from the trailside blood tests!) At first he thought he'd have to give up sport, but now he is back in the Rugby team and hitting the trails with his grandad, yey! :)

Bazippy

Jan 27, 2019
Sheffield
My 11-year old grandson was diagnosed Type 1 diabetic in Nov'18. He had a brief pause from mtb and rugby while he and his family learned to deal with it. Now he has zero fears coming mtb with me. More importantly his parents are OK with it too. :)
Because when on his mtb, he is more likely to go low on his blood sugar than high, all he has to do is to keep the blood sugar up. So in fact apart from stopping now and again to do the finger-prick and check his levels, all he does is to eat a small chocolate covered flapjack and drink some orange squash. He used to eat and drink that way on a ride years before he was diagnosed, so it feels like a normal day out (apart from the trailside blood tests!) At first he thought he'd have to give up sport, but now he is back in the Rugby team and hitting the trails with his grandad, yey! :)
That's basically how i ran it when I was younger and biking everyday. It seems a bit tougher now I'm older and been out of biking for a while. Sport is great for type 1, it means your sugars will be more stable more often as well as leaning them towards the lower end of the scale. Tell him to keep it up, im in great shape for a type 1 diabetic and spend my working days mending the feet of diabetics who havent looked after it well. Its a scary reminder that working on type 1 when your young will have amazing effects when your older that you may never know about.

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Im luvin the sentiment and personal experiences shared in this thread
E bikes came at the right time for me and have literally changed my life.
Ive riden MTB for about 25yrs and been fortunate to ride in many places inc 20+ trips to the French and Swiss Alps .
Until 7yrs ago when my health took a nosedive and i didn't ride for 3 yrs
Eventually three and a half yrs ago i found out why !
I was diagnosed aged 47 with Parkinson's disease . I was devastated but also a little relieved to now have something tangible to fight .
Ive always had good friends amongst my riding buddies who have tried to help me through a pretty grim patch . I declined their efforts to get me out on my bike because i just had no energy or mojo .
Then one of them suggested i try an e bike that he had.
I nonchalantly agreed not expecting any miracles . A few days later he brought it over along with 2 other mates.
Im blessed to live in the Forest of Dean so we literally rode 2 mins and were in the woods riding some of my old secret trails.
10 mins later i was grinning ear to ear , Luvin life again and my mojo was back !!!
I immediately bought the bike.

That was almost 3 yrs ago. Since then i ride every wk and have done about 4500 km on e bikes.
My balance , mobility and bottle are all shot to bits and im constantly fatigued due to my condition.
I never was and never will be a pro rider but i love biking again. E bikes have made that possible.

Just to balance things out though, they are not just for the likes of me.
4 of my mates have also bought them and are totally on board .
Really though , i think they just had enough of being destroyed by a blue badge holder.

Eventually my condition will beat me but i intend to keep smiling and fighting and Ebikes have made that achievable for a little while longer

Last edited:

Bazippy

Jan 27, 2019
Sheffield
Ive riden MTB for about 25yrs and been fortunate to ride in many places inc 20+ trips to the French and Swiss Alps .
I was diagnosed aged 47 with Parkinson's disease . I was devastated but also a little relieved to now have something tangible to fight .
Ive always had good friends amongst my riding buddies who have tried to help me through a pretty grim patch . I declined their efforts to get me out on my bike because i just had no energy or mojo .
I nonchalantly agreed not expecting any miracles . A few days later he brought it over along with 2 other mates.
Im blessed to live in the Forest of Dean so we literally rode 2 mins and were in the woods riding some of my old secret trails.
10 mins later i was grinning ear to ear , Luvin life again and my mojo was back !!!

That was almost 3 yrs ago. Since then i ride every wk and have done about 4500 km on e bikes.
My balance , mobility and bottle are all shot to bits and im constantly fatigued due to my condition.
I never was and never will be a pro rider but i love biking again. E bikes have made that possible.

Really though , i think they just had enough of being destroyed by a blue badge holder.

Eventually my condition will beat me but i intend to keep smiling and fighting and Ebikes have made that achievable for a little while longer
We all take so much for granted and this is an example of quickly life can change. Horrible and beautiful story. So glad you've found a way and such brilliant friends. Modern technology can fill some gaps and now ebiking is filling a gap for some many as well. Keep on pedaling.

Nov 19, 2018
Quantocks

Really uplifting. Keep up the fight and keep smiling.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
A year ago I was in an acute cardiology ward with an elevated irregular heart rate (140 lying on my back) from a heart in failure only pumping at 25% capacity. Not a good place to be at 46! A massive change in medication helped me recover slowly but my fitness really only improved when I got my Levo last October. Now I'm riding 3-4 times per week and trying new tracks all over the place.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That's basically how i ran it when I was younger and biking everyday. It seems a bit tougher now I'm older and been out of biking for a while. Sport is great for type 1, it means your sugars will be more stable more often as well as leaning them towards the lower end of the scale. Tell him to keep it up, im in great shape for a type 1 diabetic and spend my working days mending the feet of diabetics who havent looked after it well. Its a scary reminder that working on type 1 when your young will have amazing effects when your older that you may never know about.

Great stuff! I will be sharing this thread with my daughter. Her other child, my 9-year old granddaughter was diagnosed type 1, six months before her elder brother. Since they were diagnosed last year, my daughter (and her husband) has put in a lot of work to ensure my grandson and his sister manage their condition well. They are growing up with it and developing good habits that will stand them in good stead throughout their life. Stuff like self discipline, self restraint, maturity, eating sensibly, empathy.... are a few of the benefits. My granddaughter has just started rugby training! :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've only had the bike a few weeks, not had my first free service yet. But already my average trip distance is up 40%. And after today's ride, my knees are pain free! :love:

I still have my clockwork bike. It's a very good one, but I've ridden it once since the emtb purchase. And the trip distance was back to normal and the knee pain returned. I really like the idea of a spare bike, just in case, but I'm beginning to suspect that I may never ride it again. The longer I leave it unsold, the less money I'll get for it! :eek:
Decisions, decisions! :unsure:

Nov 19, 2018
Quantocks
Hey all,
I wanted to check and see what the protocol was. I dont want to dox this friendly corner of the interwebz if that's not cool.
In BC Canada we're now at the stage where emtb use is being decided on and where/if they'll be allowed. Govt moves slow but I'm pleasantly surprised on the positive local response and the knowledge and generally balanced decisions so far. They're still a ways to go and some resistance as it's generally quite new here. This thread has stuck with me and I think it applies to more than a few user groups. New riders and riders getting back into it as well as riders that are dealing with various types of adversity. The thread really shows the positive use of emtb's, and the accessibility they provide, that I think a lot of people could relate to. Would it be ok to copy/paste this thread and site on my local cycling association Facebook page? Or should I just copy paste individual stories without names or the site? Or not at all? Completely understandable whatever the consensus. Thanks in advance

Gosh, I didn't know that BC were looking to legislate EMTBs, it would be such a shame of they were to limit their use. As with all things, they have to be used responsibly, but the overall impact should be hugely positive.
As for who owns this thread, I'm not sure. I am very happy for you to use any of my opening passage and to name me if you want to. I am sure that you can link to this thread, but if you want to quote any more examples I would err on the side of caution/respect and ask the individual's permission. You could also contact Rob Hancill (he owns the site).
The best of luck with your campaign.
Regards Chris

StuR

Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
Hey all,
I wanted to check and see what the protocol was. I dont want to dox this friendly corner of the interwebz if that's not cool.
In BC Canada we're now at the stage where emtb use is being decided on and where/if they'll be allowed. Govt moves slow but I'm pleasantly surprised on the positive local response and the knowledge and generally balanced decisions so far. They're still a ways to go and some resistance as it's generally quite new here. This thread has stuck with me and I think it applies to more than a few user groups. New riders and riders getting back into it as well as riders that are dealing with various types of adversity. The thread really shows the positive use of emtb's, and the accessibility they provide, that I think a lot of people could relate to. Would it be ok to copy/paste this thread and site on my local cycling association Facebook page? Or should I just copy paste individual stories without names or the site? Or not at all? Completely understandable whatever the consensus. Thanks in advance
Im fine with you quoting my post and name
The more positive exposure these awesome machines get the better
Hopefully help reduce some peoples Neanderthal mindset

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Im fine with you quoting my post and name
The more positive exposure these awesome machines get the better
Hopefully help reduce some peoples Neanderthal mindset
+1 for me for the same reasons as above.

Karsten

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
Hey all,
Feel free to quote my posts on this and any other thread, I've been writing a lot about my dealings with Massachusetts DCR regarding eMTB trail access.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Great to hear all these stories.

I also have a chronic genetic condition (cystic fibrosis) which degenerates with age, I’m 48. I’ve been really active in the past having done all types of cycling (bmx, road time trials, mtb etc and also motorcycle trials) and I don’t let my disability define me. My health, which is mostly lung infection related ends me up in hospital on a relatively regular basis but cycling is by far the best form of physio. This keeps me longer out of hospital but maintaining that fitness can be an issue (which is why I just stick to my turbo trainer).

Anyway, I test rode a Levo recently and that really fired me up again. Not taken delivery yet but I cannot wait to get going again knowing that on my not-so-great days I have assistance.

Nov 19, 2018
Quantocks
Great to hear all these stories.

I also have a chronic genetic condition (cystic fibrosis) which degenerates with age, I’m 48. I’ve been really active in the past having done all types of cycling (bmx, road time trials, mtb etc and also motorcycle trials) and I don’t let my disability define me. My health, which is mostly lung infection related ends me up in hospital on a relatively regular basis but cycling is by far the best form of physio. This keeps me longer out of hospital but maintaining that fitness can be an issue (which is why I just stick to my turbo trainer).

Anyway, I test rode a Levo recently and that really fired me up again. Not taken delivery yet but I cannot wait to get going again knowing that on my not-so-great days I have assistance.

Fantastic! You won't look back.

Nov 19, 2018
Quantocks
Thanks guys. Most are usernames apart from Dave and Steve and we're a world away but small world eh. Both Steve's and Dave's are important stories I think. I'll wait and see if they chime in.
They are legislating them. Until now they've been banned on trails maintained by the cycling club. The club will be giving the province recommendations on which trails they'll allow them. With positive feedback and knowledge of how they co mingle with regular mtb's I think it'll help. The benefits of emtb , I think, would and should go a long way.
There's a lot of trails that aren't maintained by the cycling association as well as the ski hill opening for biking and using/allowing emtb's. The hill has 3 trails that empty off the bottom outside their boundary that are 1500-3000 vertical feet that can be used in conjunction with the initial 5620ft trail they've built. With the cycling association trails in the emtb fold the trail network allowing emtb's could be huge(10 different mountains and there networks surrounding and/or close to town with 6-8 of those possibly allowing at least partial access). The big vertical here and the possible links really are a gold mine for emtb and mtb. Everything from machine and hand built, alpine rides, downhill shuttling, helicopter access, rock slabs, jumps and steeps among cedar forests with loam a plenty and very uncrowded. Can only imagine what emtb's will bring to the game with most of the trails in play
You make me want to jump on a plane!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You have my permission to use my posts on this thread and to link my name to it.
Fight the good fight! :)
The ski resorts in France find that opening the trails to mtb (and emtb) are a very useful boost to the local economy during the otherwise flat season when there is no snow. They are busy pretty much all year round now.

Nov 19, 2018
Quantocks
It's definitely worth a visit. Hard to describe and do it justice. The ski hills claim to fame is " most vertical in north america" but the more important stat is "the most acreage to skier ratio" and both of those hold true for the mtb. Rarely see many people on the trails apart from the out and back alpine trails when its alpine season. I'm optimistic the fleet of emtb's the ski hill will be renting this year will convert the doubters. I'll try and update when the full access tally is decided. Fingers crossed

One of my claims to fame was riding the Kill Me Thrill Me trail in Whistler a little over 20 years ago. It was on a rental Kline which weighed a tonne. Another was doing a ride from the Gondala Station, freewheeling because the chain had broken, I came across a bear cub on a single track “0h my god, that’s amazing. Shit! Where’s mum?”.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
One of my claims to fame was riding the Kill Me Thrill Me trail in Whistler a little over 20 years ago. It was on a rental Kline which weighed a tonne. Another was doing a ride from the Gondala Station, freewheeling because the chain had broken, I came across a bear cub on a single track “0h my god, that’s amazing. Shit! Where’s mum?”.
Awesome. Seems like there's quite often bears on the Whistler bike park, silver star in Vernon as well(closer to here/revelstoke).
Good choice on trail. That was probably the first and last time I was on thrill me kill me(20yrs ago). Eye opener back then and shaped some of the lines I built in the future, especially that rock slab finish. That mid section with all the custom log builds blew my mind. Back and forth , up and over for a good while. Only at the end of that section did I realize I was in a small zone. Tech trials like xc riding that you're not looking far ahead and concentrating on little tasks has you thinking youre covering a huge distance. Must've been long home or furniture builders that put that together. It'd be hilarious if we were on it at the same time

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles