salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I think it is absolutely worth wiring in a light on your bike to use the bike battery. I use the B&M IQ-X E. Though I have had it for 4 years now. still love it.
Only thing with Shimano motors is that it is a PITA to turn lights on or off. That is where Bosch is much better with a dedicated button.
Maybe it has changed, but it used to be that on the Shimano you could only turn the lights on or off over about 2 or 3 levels into the menu system, and that only worked when the bike was standing still. In Italy there are a lot of old military roads that occasionally go through tunnels so you need to turn the lights on for the tunnel, but the rest of the time is in sunshine.
On the rear I put the Supernova E3. I mounted it to my brake calipers.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
I looked at an Exposure lights .. light, and they mention output is lower for Shimano. Further research suggests the different motor levels (E6000, 7000, 8000) might offer different power on the light terminals? sounds odd but that was in some light manufacturer spec sheet.

Does anyone have any concrete info on what light power the Shimano systems light Volts/Amps is vs Bosch or other?

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
I looked at an Exposure lights .. light, and they mention output is lower for Shimano. Further research suggests the different motor levels (E6000, 7000, 8000) might offer different power on the light terminals? sounds odd but that was in some light manufacturer spec sheet.

Does anyone have any concrete info on what light power the Shimano systems light Volts/Amps is vs Bosch or other?
Unfortunately, not odd at all. It is quite normal for LED arrays ( they are after all semiconductors) to vary light output with forward voltage. There are a number of techniques to stabilise forward voltage but this is an e-mtb site not a LED lighting R & D lab. If you've got any cheap LED strip, you can prove it for yourself.

Got to take issue with BamBam's assertion that 90% of light outputs are overstated though -- much closer to 99%.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I've got a wired in front light on a bosch set up, its a 1000 lumens Lezyne unit, i think it was around £70. I used it over last winter for park rides and its been great, enough light for the average rider in pitch black un challenging rides.

Unfortunately my new bike has yet to be activated for the light to work so I purchased the light below the other week.
Honestly I don't think I will bother getting my old light activated now. Its about the cheapest MTB specific light they do with 2600 lumens but its enough for me. Loads of run time and well built.

I am however very conscious of how bright these things are for oncoming walkers and traffic so the ability to lower its output quickly is a must on any light.
For £250 I think its exposures bargain.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
Unfortunately, not odd at all. It is quite normal for LED arrays ( they are after all semiconductors) to vary light output with forward voltage. There are a number of techniques to stabilise forward voltage but this is an e-mtb site not a LED lighting R & D lab. If you've got any cheap LED strip, you can prove it for yourself.

Got to take issue with BamBam's assertion that 90% of light outputs are overstated though -- much closer to 99%.

I was referring to the indication that shimano motors might output different power, not how LED work :ROFLMAO:

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Friend of mine installed the Exposure ebike light. It was nice, negligible impact on range, and very neat. He's back to using his MaaxD Sync though - it's simply a lot brighter.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I've been extremely happy with my NiteRiders Lumina 1800, I've been doing loads of night rides and have never felt that my lights weren't bright enough. I run a 1800 lumen unit on my handle bars and the 1200 lumen unit on my helmet.

BigMark

Feb 10, 2020
Very happy with my Lezyne Ebike Macro Drive 1000 LED Headlight it was $70 shipped on Ebay and works perfect on my Rail 7.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles