eMTB for a fattie

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Afternoon all,
No, not a fattie eBike but indeed an eBike for a fattie. I’ve got dodgy knees which took me off my previous bikes, a Whyte 29er and a Cannondale CAADX. I’m furiously researching eMTBs in the hope of being able to use one for a commute (14 mile round trip) and to get back up onto the trails (Sutton bank/Guisborough etc are my local ones).
Now, I have no real idea of what I weigh as I don’t own a scale but I’d hazard a guess at anywhere between 17 and 18 stone. I’m 6’2” and my ‘fighting weight’ is probably around the high 15s. I’d like to get back down to that!

Now, I’ve been looking at bikes and the FLYON appeals due to the power of the motor but there’s no way I’ll get within the total weight limit for that bike. I also really like the look of the new Focus Jam2 6.8 NINE (or PLUS although having ridden a 29er I’m erring towards the nine) but I’m over the 120kg limit for that as well (including bike).

Am I really going to be better off trying to lose weight some other way before investing in a full suss EMTB or am I worrying over nothing?

Any input from similar sized riders would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
Having read many threads on here about the weight limits on emtb's, I don't think you need to worry to much about them.
My friend John is about 6'2" & about 16 stone
He's got the same bike as me a cube action team, most cubes are very well built, sturdy has been mentioned in the past & definitely great value for money
I wouldn't go for a specialized because you will be forever mending it or upgrading it ?

inwoods

Jul 31, 2018
Poulton-Le-Fylde.
I got the Vitus E-sommet last August, i was 19.10 stone and I like to throw it about, I've had no problems, I'm now down to 15.7 stone and ebike has been my main form of exercise.

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
6.2 ft 18.1st
Has my Giant Stance E+1 for days.
Already 17.10st?

Has to adjust suspension out of the crate , more psi.
Same for tyres.
Everything is working as it should , maybe I’ll spend more £k’s one day but at the moment no complaints.
It’s ace off road ???

I bought a LG size, it’s perfect.

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
I'm a little lighter than you at just under 16st and a little shorter at just under 6ft. My commute is also similar at a 13mile round trip (including 3 decent hills in each direction).

I've got a Turbo Levo FSR (Alloy version) and its been great. I normally do the commute on Eco mode with the occasional burst of Trail on some of the hills if I'm a bit tired or can't be bothered to pedal too hard. I've gone from driving to work 5 days per week to cycling between 2 and 5 days per week (I don't bother cycling if its raining) - A fully charged battery will normally last me round 4 days using it just for commuting.

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thanks for the replies gents. I’ll research what the official weights are for those bikes and see whether I’m worrying about nothing. Great to see you’re Both enjoying it and heading the right way for health (and fun!).

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
My Levo has a sticker under the top tube (next to the build date / serial Number).....

- Mass of Bike = 22kg
- Structural Weight Limit = 136kg

I am not sure if the weight limit includes the bike weight (giving a rider & gear weight of 114kg) or whether its 136kg of rider and gear which is approx 21.5stone

DTZ

May 5, 2019
UK
1561408451117.png

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
If the structural weight limit doesn’t include the rider (me) then that would be great. A quick google after a beer hasn’t answered the question but I’ll keep looking. The Giant’s seem to have a really high weight limit but as it’s likely I’ll be waiting to the new model range to get a bike, due to stock issues and the new motors etc that are coming out for 2020, then I’d hate to jump in now and regret it in 2 months. The 2020 Focus I’m looking at gets the new Bosch in August and it’d be silly to buy the previous version now without a decent discount. I’ve added the Giants to my list to research though ??

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Evening!
I’ve been researching the Giant Trance E+ 1 Pro and it looks like a great bike. When do Giant normally release updates? I know the general consensus is to get whatever is available but I’d be annoyed if it was updated soon after spending so much money.

Thanks,

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
18 stone is like the average American weight. You should be fine on any eBike as long as you're not riding like Cam Zink - there is a safety margin built into bikes. It's not like the bike is going to fold in on itself once you go slightly above a limit. You're going to lose weight after a few months of riding anyhow

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Iaen at Venture Cycles? Yep, I’ve emailed him today but he doesn’t have any full suss e-bikes in stock. If I decide on a Focus though I’ll hopefully be getting it from there as it’s so handy and he’s got a good reputation.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If your a big boy I would definitely recommend going for a bike with the biggest battery capacity you can get, and by that I dont mean the option of the focus Tec Pack or similar, but the standard one.

This is because the single biggest influence on EMTB range is bike and rider weight.

Give the current almost daily release of new models, a lot with the new Bosch system which has a 630wh battery, I would bare this in mind.

Also consider where you keep the bike and charge it - if you cant charge the bike where you keep it, you will need a removable battery - the current Focus models for example, along with he Norco, do not have this option.

I would also be wary of buying a cheaper 29'r simply because a 27.5 wheel set will be stronger at the lower price point.

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thanks, I can charge the bike at work and also at home without removing the battery although the ability to take it out would be good. Ideally I’m looking at sub-5k price range. It’s a crazy amount of money for a bike and I’m still getting my head around it but needs must.

Top of the list at the moment are the Focus Jam2 6.8 PLUS/NINE - I’m tempted by the NINE as I loved my Whyte 629 until my knees stopped me riding it but if the PLUS wheels will be stronger that’s definitely something to bear in mind. The other is the Whyte E-150 S - It’d be good to get a better look at that one though before I decide. They both (I think) have the Gen4 Bosch with the 625 battery.

Other options would be to go for a current model year bike and hopefully get some kind of discount but stock is patchy on everything and I’d prefer to use an LBS if I could. I’d always wonder if the newer technology had less issues/more development time as well which puts me off that option a bit. I’ll be keeping the bike for at least 3 years and probably longer due to the cost so I really need to get it right.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Evening!
I’ve been researching the Giant Trance E+ 1 Pro and it looks like a great bike. When do Giant normally release updates? I know the general consensus is to get whatever is available but I’d be annoyed if it was updated soon after spending so much money.

Thanks,

They start discounting current models just before the new models come out - so about now. There is alot to be said for buying a discounted current model - everyone else has already done the warranty claim things for you - ie no argument when the rear hub dies, or the controller leaks.....plus you onow it was a popular model so can expect a reasonable knowledge basis going forward

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Cheers R120, yes, they've already agreed to it (y). I've just been up to Sutton Bank Bikes and they don't have any more info they can share about the Whyte although they're getting one in when they're released and I believe they're going to try and sort out a demo day. They do accept GCI now too :cool:

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Northern Ride at Malton normally have Focus emtb’s to demo round Dalby.
Bikescene at Guisborough have just had a big delivery of Levo’s.
Inspiral Cycles at Catterick seem to post a lot of ebike related stuff on Instagram.

I’m 115kg and happily ride a Jam2 at Guisborough and Kilburn. I’d agree with the advise above and go for a 500wh plus battery as I have found it frustrating now my buddies have bigger battery’d ebikes so am now upgrading.

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
Thanks for all the advice. I picked up my Levo yesterday and went for a good ride round the local quarry. Just waiting for the rain to stop so I can go out again today. We’re at our caravan at the moment and the only problem with this bike is that everyone who tries it immediately starts to figure out a way to get one ?

12B835DB-2FE5-4736-972D-254CD32F5824.jpeg

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
It is yeah, I’ve heard the talk of them flattening it but it’s still there at the moment (Obviously). It was something to do with the amount of rubbish being left up there but I didn’t see any yesterday. Wondering if regular users have started to clean up after themselves.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
It is yeah, I’ve heard the talk of them flattening it but it’s still there at the moment (Obviously). It was something to do with the amount of rubbish being left up there but I didn’t see any yesterday. Wondering if regular users have started to clean up after themselves.
Maybe they have resolved things. I saw a new, heavy duty gate had been erected across the access road by the main road when I passed a few days back.

Hitby

Jun 22, 2019
North Yorkshire
To be honest, I don’t remember a gate so if there was one it was open. Hopefully they’re changed their minds because it’s a good little facility.

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
If you are serious about losing weight, start with your diet. I got into weights and read all about how to eat properly and nutrition. The saying is "You can't out-train a bad diet" and its true. No matter how hard you train, you need a calorie deficit to lose weight, and that means eating correctly. Eat wrong and you may as well not bother.

Eat right and train however, and the weight will fall off over the next few months.

dogzilla

Aug 1, 2019
London
I know this thread is mostly answered already but just to chime in my personal experience....

I started biking at 150kg, that's 23.5 stone. I started with a BMC Te29. Absolutely no problems at all apart from the wheels but not in the way you might think. The wheels were rock solid except for when braking because at that weight you put massive strain on the spokes as the wheels twist up, once I realised this I stopped being a prat and hammering the anchors on and started instead being smoother, which made me faster and also saved me on spokes.

Then at around 135kg I picked up a road bike, DT Swiss do a 130kg rated gravel/road semi-aero wheelset for about £600. With my steel frame, bottles and bikepacking bags I was near 150kg. I did a 200km gravel ride on 28c tyres. On my last 5km I hit a pothole, my tyre blew out. Turned out the pressure had burst my tubeless tape but the wheel was unscathed and after 8000km they are still true. I took them into be serviced and all they had to do was replaced the freehub body cos I had torn through the aluminium.

The structural limits are based upon the bikes category and a reasonably rigorous EU testing schedule which goes along with it. The margins are quite big in my experience.

I also just picked up a LEVO, now I am under 120kg. So with bike + bag I'm probably still 10kg over the limit but I'm not doing black runs, just a few reds right now :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles