Levo Gen 2 EMBN x GMBN Absolutely Sending the Levo

h.grenade

Feb 13, 2021
PNW
This got way off topic. Haha I’m just always looking for videos of people thrashing their levos. This forum is helpful but filled with comments about complaints and stories of how their bike got wet. For fuck sake, it’s a bike, thrash it and have fun ?

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Shuttle day with the MTB club .
This lad had to do Aaron Gwin impersonations .

May be an image of outdoors

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
This got way off topic. Haha I’m just always looking for videos of people thrashing their levos. This forum is helpful but filled with comments about complaints and stories of how their bike got wet. For fuck sake, it’s a bike, thrash it and have fun ?
This because when they get wet they end up get warrantied rather than shredded ;)

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
haha even sponsors don't hand out bikes like nothing
I think that the majority of people now do their research on youtube. I also think that mtb and emtb manufacturers know this (long before I did). Embn really has a huge presence in youtube world - they must be number one for emtb viewing? It would make sense that specialized would have a reasonable budget for embn. Many small channels are given bikes, even if it is only for short term loan. Consider these things yourself; what do you do when you're looking for a new bike or new gear?

h.grenade

Feb 13, 2021
PNW
@urastus Agreed. But you get my point I hope that every bike now days has to be pretty good because they know people will be thrashing them. People will do DH stuff on their XC bikes : ) Im positive that if Chris cracked a frame they would call it out. They maybe be biased but they are also not 100% fan bois. They also have an obligation to their viewers, not just to sponsors. Maybe more to the viewers actually.

On the topid of paid sponsorships, I originally wanted the kenevo at first because of Rob's reviews. Then later I saw that he was "loaned" the bike and actually went to a different bike after even though he said it was the best bike in the world. Even later I read that the rear ends are loose and they are breaking coils. I'm glad that I didn't listen to him haha. No offense to Rob they are great reviews but they are not long term reviews for sure.

And yeah EMTB was around around when everyone on pinkbike was still hating on them. It looks like things are changing finally.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Im positive that if Chris cracked a frame they would call it out
I'm not. I would be amazed if they did call it out.

Yes, bikes are very well made and amazingly tough and durable. The e side of emtb is more fickle, especially (and historically) with specialized. Embn have never mentioned this or addressed this, until the extended warranty came out: "small but unacceptable number" :ROFLMAO: that was them towing the specialized line when the warranty extension came out. It's the first time embn mentioned any possible problem, and then it was the company line. They copped a bit of flack over that (read the comments of the videos) then came out with another video which was just as useless, about what to do when your ebike is out of warranty. Presumably, this was to address some of the backlash. See top two videos in this search link.

I believe they know the truth of things better than us. They don't have our backs and it seems that many people don't realise this. Embn and gmbn are a personable and likable crowd - I think gmbn is more up front than embn. For example when talking about tyres, they mentioned (in the video) that vittoria are their sponsor, so they use vittoria tyres; it was the same with their protective gear (poc). Now that I know how to see the sponsors (thankyou flash), I see that gmbn is not sponsored by specialized. This makes me think that specialized are more demanding in what they want - and probably pay much higher sponsorship for that privilege.

I wouldn't be looking to gmbn or embn for research on product. Lots of other useful and entertaining stuff though.

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
On the topid of paid sponsorships, I originally wanted the kenevo at first because of Rob's reviews. Then later I saw that he was "loaned" the bike and actually went to a different bike after even though he said it was the best bike in the world
I don’t remember saying it was “the best bike in the world”?! But I did / still do really rate it highly.

I had it for about 6 months and really rated it. Rode it everywhere from local XC to Bike Parks etc.

That wasn’t a sponsored video or paid video by the way.

It’s difficult providing long term reviews and discovering faults that may occur during ownership, that’s why places like this are great when doing research, it’ll bring up things that others won’t necessarily have experienced ??

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I dont think you can beat the Forum tbh for real world feedback on long term ownership of EMTB's - what you find on here is the quirks of each bike, things you need to keep an eye on in the longer term, and of course how brands/shops respond to issues. You can also learn from others mistakes, as plenty of threads on here of mods gone wrong, and of course right!

The Marzzochi on the Kenevo was known for blowing up well before it was specced on the Kenevo, so was hardly a surprise when it started doing that on a 24kg EMTB.

GCN/EMBN/GMBN are really "lifestyle" channels, more about the sport than any specific equipment, I think GMBN is far better than EMBN, I especially like Doddy and Blakes stuff, and having met Blake a couple of times he is genuinely such a nice guy so stoked just to ride any bike whenever he can, and that come across on screen.

With EMBN I always feel that Steve Jones is a bit of a grumpy git, and Ii always get the impression when Dirt folded he took the next gig available which was EMBN.

GMBN and GCN presenters really come across that they love what they are doing, whereas I don't get that impression from EMBN, and some of the content comes across quite cynically to me at least.

h.grenade

Feb 13, 2021
PNW
I don’t remember saying it was “the best bike in the world”?! But I did / still do really rate it highly.

@Rob Rides EMTB like I said no offense meant. I thought the more telling fact was that you gave it back. And you were honest about it. I think it is an amazing bike but probably not as much fun when you aren’t charging gnarly terrain. It’s the same reason I went with the Levo but I will build it up as a proper enduro capable machine. If you are a good rider the bike doesn’t matter as much. As long as it fits your riding style and you like it : )

haha @#lazy join me in “making ebikes great again” - rob wants to take your guns!

my real coup is against the bike companies marketing and their new ebike specific bs! i see forks, tires, rims etc branded as e specific But for years I didn’t see a single product branded for heavy riders. A 400lb dude can send his XC machine down crank it up more but an ebike needs special brakes. Haha

I only weigh 220 but I cannot buy an air shock that works without custom tuning, brake rotors are too small, I have to buy DH rims because I don’t trust anything less. Now a 15lb heavier bike has all these new parts that are needed and I think people fall for it. There are strong parts and there are light parts. Nothing else really exists.

the real issue is that a fox e bike fork is less quality for similar money because it is marginally stiffer. But in reality the frame would take less abuse with a better damper And a specific tune.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I am amazed anyone does not understand the way industry "affiliates" have to balance acceptance and support by the leading brands with the perception of their independence and credibility with their audiences. That tension has always been there in magazines and remains in You Tube/online formats.

Neither is a forum the best way to assess the virtues or pitfalls of a product. There are far too many variables in terms of use and abuse. It is however a brilliant way in which to identify potential product vulnerabilities and adverse characteristics.

Rob does a fair job of reviews, and he is both informative and entertaining, but even he is not going to totally rubbish a product from a leading brand and there is no way he can attest to the longer term reliability of any bike, or indeed its ability to withstand more radical use than his standard of riding, or indeed, the typical conditions in which he rides, permit.
If you want to get the bottom line on a mechanical product whether that is a car or a bike, speak to independent repair mechanics not the salesman!!
Better still, be a mechanic!!

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I dont think you can beat the Forum tbh for real world feedback on long term ownership of EMTB's - what you find on here is the quirks of each bike, things you need to keep an eye on in the longer term, and of course how brands/shops respond to issues. You can also learn from others mistakes, as plenty of threads on here of mods gone wrong, and of course right!

Specialized Rider Care Australia read these forums .
They warned me to not believe everything I read here . lol .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles