Electro motor problems

Crni33

Nov 26, 2021
Croatia
Hi,
I've tried posted this in Specialized forums, but as no reply I want to see if anyone of you experts in electro motors or communications with dealers in such situations can pass on some advice.
I am new to this forum and recently I've been having problems with my Specialized Turbo Levo 2018 electro motor.

After the 3rd year, and just over the 1.500 (well maintained) I had the ebike a few times, after being power up, not providing pedaling assistance.
It started with a few times the problem would come and go for a few seconds while pedaling, until I had to switch it off and switch it back on to solve it. But it worked only a few times, before the ebike had completely died.
I took to to the dealer, who checked the cables and battery and finally the engine, concluding as they could find any fault on the cables and battery that it must be the electrinos on the engine.
After the second year (when warranty expired) I had a external front road bike lamp connected to one of the wires on the top of the battery, but I don't think this could have cause the malfunction as bike worked well for over the year with no problems.
So the dealer has replaced the engine (and I've paid for it) and I got it back working (testing it for few min in front of the shops), but they when I wanted to ride it a few weeks back, still the same problem appeared.
I took at it back claiming the same problem, and when they were looking into it (checking the wireing and trying new battery) and the bike was sometimes working and sometimes not, so I left it there to be fully checked.
I am now strong doubts that is wasn't the engine fault at all, but how can I prove it? They are now saying that the malfunction to the engine probably came due to the lamp which was connected and that a New cable is required (as I need to strip of the insulation from original one to connect the lamps), but before they were saying that they were pretty sure this lamp connection should not impact engine and bike performance at all. At it worked perfectly for more then a year.
However, they are still investigating as they are not sure of the rootcause, but I am afraid that the trust in dealer is gone.
Anybody had any similar experience?
What do advise me on how to speak to dealer from now on and what to demand from them, considering I have already paid for new engine (which is now under 2 years warranty)?
BR,

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Is this a Brose 1.3 motor ? (power switch and lights on the side of the battery ?)

Sounds a bit like the battery to motor connection cable/plug/socket is faulty, dirty, small metal items ?

Does it beep when you change modes even though it's not assisting and the lights on the side of the battery change ?

You could try disconnecting the handlebar controller from the motor and trying it like that - change modes with the +/- on the sinde of the battery.

Crni33

Nov 26, 2021
Croatia
Is this a Brose 1.3 motor ? (power switch and lights on the side of the battery ?)

Sounds a bit like the battery to motor connection cable/plug/socket is faulty, dirty, small metal items ?

Does it beep when you change modes even though it's not assisting and the lights on the side of the battery change ?

You could try disconnecting the handlebar controller from the motor and trying it like that - change modes with the +/- on the sinde of the battery.

Hi Zimmerframe,
Thnx a lot for this tip.
Yes it's Brose V1.3 motor. You are absolutely right, when it works fine then it beeps, but when the engine is not working then also the beeping on the handlebar is not working (lights on the side of battery are always working regardless).
I've not tried operating + or - on the side of the battery, but I hope that the retailer did, before they've told me I need a new electromotor. Anyhow I'll check with them.
Still think it's battery to motor connection (cable/plug/socket)?

Crni33

Nov 26, 2021
Croatia
Hi Zimmerframe,
You were right. I was with the dealer yesterday. They have replaced battery to motor cable, removing the lamp which was attached to cable and it works now. Not sure it is was the cable problem on lamp that was maybe making some difference in the Voltage which prevented the motor to work as it should.
Let's hope it will stay that way

Crni33

Nov 26, 2021
Croatia
So there was probably nothing wrong with the first motor that was pulled out. Hopefully you still have that.

Probably. Unfortunately I don't have it, as they had to return it, in order to be eligible for 35% of Specialized Riders care discount.
Apparently once the dealer diagnoses the problem, Specialized doesn't event double check and confirm, once the motor has been shipped back to them. Just recycles it and sends it back in production. So there is no way to prove if the Electronics on the motor has been damaged and did they really had to replace it, or if it was the cable error all the way long (although dealer says they always check in the order of: Cables, Battery and then motor comes as last).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles