Electric Motocross bike - Sam Pilgrim

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Never seen one in real life. Have seen them in the virtual world, they look neat - and great value !! Better value than an emtb ! :)

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Never seen one in real life. Have seen them in the virtual world, they look neat - and great value !! Better value than an emtb ! :)

One of my friends, uses his to herd his sheep, along with his dog, Dave. He claims it's more nimble, cheaper and less likely to roll over him, should he tip off it :giggle:

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
One of my friends, uses his to herd his sheep, along with his dog, Dave. He claims it's more nimble, cheaper and less likely to roll over him, should he tip off it :giggle:
Has your mate & Dave seen the UBCO 2x2? Made in NZ 2WD designed for sheep (and everything else)

Ubco2x2_Bike_Diagram_hotspots.png

2x2 - 2018 | Ubco Bikes, New Zealand

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Bloody Kiwis!!
I have fallen off a sheep. When I was a boy, loads of my friends lived on farms, and a few had sheep as pets. It was fun jumping on their backs and seeing how long you could hold on. one in perticular had a tendency to but you in the back whenever you ween't looking.
Watched the Sam Pilgram video last night. Looks fun, but where can you legally ride something like that? Nowhere near where I live that's for sure.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Bloody Kiwis!!
I have fallen off a sheep. When I was a boy, loads of my friends lived on farms, and a few had sheep as pets. It was fun jumping on their backs and seeing how long you could hold on. one in perticular had a tendency to but you in the back whenever you ween't looking.
Watched the Sam Pilgram video last night. Looks fun, but where can you legally ride something like that? Nowhere near where I live that's for sure.

It's electric ... perfect for the house and garden ! :)

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
I watched the Sam pilgrim video earlier today, he was just ridding it in his local woods, can we just do that in the UK? I missed out on having a scrambler when I was a kid and always wanted one, I absolutely love the look of that FXR 1.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales

Yeah maan, thanks for the heads up.
When i got into ebiking there was nothing available that ticked the boxes for emtbiking so us diy'ers made our own interpretations. From giant size hub motors to noisey chain drives and even all wheel drive bikes. Its been a big journey.
Been there and done the illegal hot rodding and riding with pride all over your public rite of ways. Even risked my balls with dodgy battery assemblages that could get run away heat and fire short circuits. But hey, it was worth it.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Have tested a few - several back to back on the Taupo MX track and I do have a fondness for them. If I can't have a lightweight 250 2-stroke then an eMX would be my next choice.
The Zero & Alta bikes are/were of reasonable quality build and the KTM is outstanding. Have seen the Mugen eRex but not had a chance to ride - very impressive.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Cool, i am an eternal Bastler and love building things. I got bitten pretty badly with a .gokart I built for my kids with police and fine plus an a...hole who charged us nearly €3000 for a stone chip in his car door. Germany is not as relaxed as New Zealand where I come from. Anyway respect on the home builds

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Or if the sheep are fast - not so sure about this one lol

FRX1_-Studio_hotspots.jpg

FRX1 - Trail Bike | Ubco Bikes, New Zealand

This was originally designed many years ago. It was called the neematic. The makers missed the boat and waited too long for sponsorship and marketing for the bike to be purchased. It was to be one of the very first hub motors used as mid-drive to drive the rear cog and reduction gearing. Huge volts and amps available to turn a small cog on the motor axle. Awesome bike

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Have tested a few - several back to back on the Taupo MX track and I do have a fondness for them. If I can't have a lightweight 250 2-stroke then an eMX would be my next choice.
The Zero & Alta bikes are/were of reasonable quality build and the KTM is outstanding. Have seen the Mugen eRex but not had a chance to ride - very impressive.

Unfortunately Alta is no more...and the KTM is heavy as f*ck right now. I'm waiting for a 120-150 lb electric dirt bike with a legitimate motorcycle suspension and frame. Probably a couple years out when batteries are 50% of the weight or 2X the capacity they are today.

FWIW, my average speeds on technical trails on my KTM 300 aren't hugely faster than they are on my Pivot Shuttle. Faster of course, but in the gnar, the Pivot holds its own!

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Unfortunately Alta is no more...and the KTM is heavy as f*ck right now. I'm waiting for a 120-150 lb electric dirt bike with a legitimate motorcycle suspension and frame. Probably a couple years out when batteries are 50% of the weight or 2X the capacity they are today.

FWIW, my average speeds on technical trails on my KTM 300 aren't hugely faster than they are on my Pivot Shuttle. Faster of course, but in the gnar, the Pivot holds its own!
I heard someone has bought the Alta patents and technical information so just waiting to see what eventuates.
Forget 120-150lb eMX bikes. Current FIM limits are between 98 & 102kg depending on class and motor type. Talking to one of their technical guys last year and my understanding is around 100kg. The KTM is 107kg and I am hearing new generation cells are taking the weight down. They really need a definitive ruling from the FIM before they do much more. The Alta Redshift was about 120kg and to be fair felt a lot lighter. Not certain on ther Zero but it felt 10kg heavier, but still felt better in the air than a 450..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles