Effect of wind on battery life and range - what are your experiences?

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
I ride 25k home from work. Yesterday I had 50% battery remaining. Today I ran out before I even got home and I personally bonked badly and had to get off and slowly, and rather wobbly, walk the last kilometre.

Only difference? Today I had a headwind so bad I was nearly blown off more than once. I live on the coast and cycle along the bike path next to the sea :)

Last edited:

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Oh, 30mph headwind according to the forecast. Annoyingly the prevailing wind is easterly. Today it was *assuredly* due east!

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
Made a massive difference to me today.
I rode 16 miles to work this morning with a 25mph head wind and used 2 bars of battery and had a remaining range of 54 miles. Whole ride in eMTB mode.

Rode home 16 miles in eMTB and it was 27mph on my back for the majority with occasional side wind. Battery usage was 1 bar and 71 miles remaining.

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
My ride was on tarmac as well.. I really only hit the assist on the hills and steady inclines otherwise I'm 16mph and above.

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
wind strength/resistance will have a massive effect on the battery life just like it does with EV cars.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l guess it depends on your route.

l did a 30 mile loop last night and the parts where l had a headwind were offset by the parts where l had a tailwind. Total climbed 2,800ft

lf you rode home from work into a continuous headwind it's going to rinse the battery much faster.

When l got home the battery was at around 10% which is about right for the Shimano 504Wh fitted to my Kona.
l can usually clear 30miles (ridden mainly in "trail" set to medium) and pretty much as fast as l can manage, no dawdling.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles