EDDY CURRENT TIRE QUESTION

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Currently using the 2.8 Eddy Current on the rear and love the tire. Since the front specific are nowhere to be found was wondering if anyone has tried using the rear as a front tire. The best I have found to complement the rear is a Surly Dirt Wizard. Very similar. Second would be the Dh Magic Mary, but only in 2.6 and I prefer the 2.8 size.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Currently using the 2.8 Eddy Current on the rear and love the tire. Since the front specific are nowhere to be found was wondering if anyone has tried using the rear as a front tire. The best I have found to complement the rear is a Surly Dirt Wizard. Very similar. Second would be the Dh Magic Mary, but only in 2.6 and I prefer the 2.8 size.

I can't comment specifically about the tyres you have but can comment on my experience running the same rear tyre up front..
On my previous mondraker, I was in the same situation as you. I personally ran a rear tyre up front and couldn't tell any difference if I'm honest. You forget you have the "wrong one" on but if you keep it on your mind you'll trick yourself into thinking something isn't right.

My riding was mainly on things like blue and red routes in terrible weather as an fyi :)

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
I can't comment specifically about the tyres you have but can comment on my experience running the same rear tyre up front..
On my previous mondraker, I was in the same situation as you. I personally ran a rear tyre up front and couldn't tell any difference if I'm honest. You forget you have the "wrong one" on but if you keep it on your mind you'll trick yourself into thinking something isn't right.

My riding was mainly on things like blue and red routes in terrible weather as an fyi :)

Thank you! that's what I was thinking too.

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley

just before the eddy came out, i tried a 2.6 hillbilly up front. i agree with you, i like the bigger 2.8 - 3.0 tires, but the hillbilly doesnt come any bigger, and has some pretty aggro knobs and i am enjoying the grip compared to the purgatory 3.0 that came on my bike. butcher 2.8 on back has a good profile, but the grip/knobs = disappointing.

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Timely thread - just got an 2.8 EC for the rear and a 2.8 MM upfront, first ride tomorrow... never thought about getting another EC on the front but like the sound of that ??

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I run Hillybilly 2.6's front and rear on my Vitus, and love it. I wouldn't want a bigger tyre than a 2.6, deadens the feed back IMO. I have 2.6 MM on my other Emtb, and I find the Hillybilly roll faster - grip on the hillybillys in terms of rear traction is great too.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Matching tires is the best bet. I would never run different brands front and rear.

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
i’m still loving my hillbilly 2.6 up front. good grip, feels precise. i put the stock 3.0 purgatory on the back after being disappointed w/ the butcher. the difference from 2.8 to 3.0 is noticeable and helpful. fewer pedal strikes, and pretty good grip and cornering with lower psi. i’m very curious about the eddy, but i’m feeling like the 2017 levo really likes a 3.0 - im thinking i’ll try the surly this winter instead of the eddy. just because of the size. the knobs are ramped on the pedaling side though, so i still feel like it’s a compromise. i like what i see and what i read about the eddy, but the difference i can feel on my bike makes me second guess taking a 100$ chance on the eddy...?‍♂️??

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
my plan was to switch to eddy current after the original butchers are gone, but after seeing some serious knob failures here in the board, i'm not that sure anymore. Are those issues solved in the meantime?

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
my plan was to switch to eddy current after the original butchers are gone, but after seeing some serious knob failures here in the board, i'm not that sure anymore. Are those issues solved in the meantime?
i read someplace, maybe in a couple places, that the problem you speak of was from an early batch that was faulty. did u read tim’s extensive tire test thread here on the forum?

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
i read someplace, maybe in a couple places, that the problem you speak of was from an early batch that was faulty. did u read tim’s extensive tire test thread here on the forum?

If you mean the "What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread" i read in there regularly but probably missing a couple of entries then and when. I think i've seen the faulty eddy current loosing it's teeth in there as well. But good to hear it's not an actual problem anymore.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Eddy Current 2.4 front 2.6 back is a fantastic combo for Southern California dry, rocky, dusty single track trails. I have heard it’s not such a great combo for wet or mud. Who has experience with this combo in wet/mud conditions, thanks
Turbo Levo Comp. 29”

Interesting. We have the same trail conditions here in Southern Spain. My Jam² came fitted with Maxxis Rekon 29x2.6, which were horrible. I switched them to Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29x2.6 because I'd been running the Nobby Nics on my normal MTB with great success. However, the feel and grip and nowhere near what I had on the muscle bike.

I've nearly worn the rear tyre out, so may well try the switch the the Eddy Currents, including the narrower 2.4 tyre.

Oddly, the Nobby Nics, running at around 19psi only have a measured width of 2.45", so not much difference at the front end. How close to their stated width are the ECs?

SidLawrence

Aug 12, 2019
Meath, Ireland
I ran ECs in 29 x 2.6 front & rear, worked well!

However.....I’m now running a Magic Mary up front & an EC on the back, again 29 x 2.6, amazing combination! Love love love them!

I’m in Ireland & can confirm they work well in the wet! The EC lets go before the MM, which is just fine by me! ?

Paulo2020

May 3, 2020
Portugal
y have a specialized turbo levo 2019,and bougth eddy current 29x 2.4 ..and they are hopless in the wet/winter.Great in the summer but useless in the winter...anybody feel the same??Y use 1.0bar front anda 1,5 rear for 88kg..

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
eddy current 29x 2.4 ..and they are hopless in the wet/winter.Great in the summer but useless in the winter...anybody feel the same??
Almost. They are hopeless all year round unless you ride exceptionally rocky terrain and even then it's only their sidewall made of steel that make them suitable for that terrain. I hated my EC rear; pinging off everything, clogging up in everything except bone dry and just generally being shit. What really hurts is that it was the first tyre I ever paid full price for. :cry:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles